Aug 03, 2020  
Undergraduate Catalog 2016-2017 
Undergraduate Catalog 2016-2017 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Undergraduate Admission and Expenses


The University of Scranton is a selective institution, offering a flexible liberal arts education in the Jesuit tradition of cura personalis (care for each person and the whole person).


In reaching the admissions decision, the Admissions Committee of The University of Scranton considers a number of factors: academic ability, intellectual curiosity, strength of character and motivation, as evidenced by the student’s cumulative GPA, class rank, SAT I and/or ACT scores, extracurricular activities, personal statement and letter of recommendation.

University Information

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions offers prospective students a wide variety of information about The University of Scranton through various publications. Prospective students can request materials by contacting:

Office of Undergraduate Admissions
The Estate, The University of Scranton
Scranton, PA 18510
Telephone: (570) 941-7540 or
Fax: (570) 941-5928

Required High School Preparation

Students wishing to enroll in any of the undergraduate programs offered by the University must have completed a total of 16 or more high school academic units covering grades 9-12. The term “unit” refers to a high school course taught four or five hours weekly throughout an academic year of 36 weeks’ duration. Unit requirements and preferred distribution of secondary courses are given in the table below.

High School Unit College Program Choice
Arts   Business, Science, OT, Engineering   Education, Social Science
  Req. Pref.   Req. Pref.   Req. Pref.
English 4 4   4 4   4 4
History and Social Science 2 3   2 3   2 3
Foreign Language 2 2+   2 2+   2 2+
College-Preparatory Mathematics 3 4   4 4   3 4
Science 1 2+   3 3+   1 2+
Other Acceptable Units 4                       1                 4  







Applicants without high school credit in modern languages may be accepted if they present 16 acceptable units. A single year of language in high school will not be counted as a unit to satisfy the requirements for admission.

Mathematics includes elementary, intermediate and advanced algebra; plane and solid geometry; trigonometry; analysis; and any other college-preparatory course. Applicants for science and engineering programs must include trigonometry and must have earned a grade of 85 in each mathematics course. Applicants for the nursing program should include chemistry and biology in their high school programs.

Science includes biology, chemistry, physics and other college-preparatory courses. Engineering applicants are urged to include physics in their high school preparation.

Submitting an Application

Students should apply during the first semester of their senior year of high school. The early action deadline is November 15. For all applicants, early action offers will be made on December 15. From that time on, all applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with a one- to two-week turnaround and a preferred final application deadline of March 1.

Students may apply online for free using the Common Application; for more information, visit Students must also submit an official high school transcript from their guidance office, a personal statement or essay, and a letter of recommendation.

The SAT (College Entrance Examination Board) or the ACT (American College Testing) exam is accepted. These tests should be taken during the junior year and/or senior year of high school. During Summer Orientation, the University administers its own placement tests. Therefore, applicants are not required to take the SAT II, nor is the writing component of the ACT required.

A select group of students may apply SAT/ACT Optional, as the Admissions Committee recognizes that standardized test scores are not always indicative of a student’s academic ability or potential. To apply SAT/ACT Optional, a student must be in the top 30% of the class or have a 3.2 GPA (4.0 scale) if the school does not report rank. Students applying SAT/ACT Optional must submit two graded papers from high school and may be requested to schedule an on-campus interview.

Students applying to the Early & Primary Education, BS/MS in Special Education, Middle Level Teacher Education, Secondary Education, Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Doctor of Physical Therapy (guaranteed admission), Master’s of Accountancy (direct-entry) or any Pre-Health Professions programs must submit standardized scores and may not apply SAT/ACT Optional. For more information about test scores or applying SAT/ACT Optional, visit

Confirmation Fee

Accepted students who wish to confirm their place in the freshman class should submit a non-refundable confirmation deposit by May 1 of $300 for residential students or $150 for commuter students. Deposits may be made at

Advanced Placement

Applicants who have taken college-level courses in high school may be placed in advanced courses and may be given credits as well. Students who have been accepted for admission and desire to apply for such placement must take the Advanced Placement Examination offered in May by the College Entrance Examination Board, Students can have their results sent automatically to the University by providing the school code (2929). For more information on AP credits, visit

Biology and Biophysics majors cannot receive biology credits. Students pursuing a pre-medical program should be aware that many medical schools do not accept AP credit for required pre-medical courses.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Through the CLEP tests, taken before admission, applicants may gain college credit in most academic subjects for work done outside the classroom in jobs, military service, etc., or in non-accredited institutions. For further information, visit Students wishing to be considered for CLEP credits should take the CLEP examinations and have the results forwarded to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

For more information about CLEP, contact CLEP directly at College-Level Examination Program, College Entrance Examination Board, Box 660, Princeton, NJ 08541 or email

International Students

The University of Scranton has been educating international students since 1946 and remains committed to that tradition. At present, 25 different countries are represented by undergraduate and graduate students.

The University’s Office of International Programs and Services provides international students with advice, support and resources to ensure a smooth transition to a new culture and educational system. Additional information about support programs and services for international students can be found later in this catalog in the section on the Office of International Programs and Services.

The University has a house on campus that serves as a mosque for the use of Muslim students. It is available for daily prayers as well as the Friday prayer.

International Baccalaureate Policy

The University of Scranton recognizes the academic quality of the International Baccalaureate (IB) curriculum. Students who have completed higher-level (HL) IB courses and who demonstrate a substantial level of achievement as represented by their performance on the relevant IB examination(s), with a score of 5 or better, may earn advanced placement credit. For more information on IB credits, visit

Students with Disabilities

The University of Scranton complies with all applicable laws and regulations with respect to the accommodation of handicaps and disabilities as these terms are defined in law. The University will provide reasonable accommodations so students can fully participate in curricular and extracurricular activities. Students who need assistance should make timely contact with the Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence at (570) 941-4038.

Special Admission Programs

Academic Development Program

The Academic Development Program (ADP) is designed for students who demonstrate academic achievement and the potential to excel, but whose grades and/or SAT/ACT scores indicate the need to refine their verbal skills to meet the challenges of college-level coursework. The ADP will help students sharpen their verbal skills, and equip them to approach their coursework with efficiency and confidence. The ADP is conducted over the course of the freshman year and provides students with courses in research and study skills, as well as writing support, coordinated instruction, academic advising, tutoring and mentoring. Students who complete all requirements of the ADP have normal sophomore standing.

The ADP core of courses consists of EDUC 113 Reading-Research , COMM 100 (FYOC) Public Speaking , First Year Seminars , and WRTG 105 (FYW) College Writing I  - WRTG 106 (D, FYW) College Writing II ; all members of the ADP will be assigned to the same sections for all of these courses. Faculty members collaborate so that the curriculum emphasizes the connections among the courses and provides the best opportunities to improve verbal skills. All students in the ADP are required to attend Intersession during their freshman year. Students in the ADP may be subject to dismissal if they do not successfully complete the core courses with a grade of C or better. For more information, please contact the Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence or at (570) 941-4038.

Additional Admission Opportunities & Circumstances

Adult Students

Adult undergraduate admission at The University of Scranton is based on the applicant’s academic record, life experiences and motivation to continue education. The adult application can be submitted for free online at Additional information is available at

To complete the application file, the candidate must submit the following:

  • Online adult application
  • Personal statement
  • Official high school transcript
  • SAT/ACT scores (or GED diploma and scores)
  • Official transcript from all post-secondary institutions attended
  • One letter of recommendation

Applicants are encouraged to meet with an admissions counselor and can make an appointment online at or by calling 1-888-SCRANTON.

In general, advanced standing will be granted for previously completed courses from regionally accredited institutions when they are equivalent or comparable to courses at the University, the student received grades of C or higher, and the courses meet requirements for the degree program. If the student changes major at a later date, another review of transfer credits will be made at that time, and the student will be given a written evaluation clearly indicating the transfer credits that apply to the new major. In all cases, for a bachelor’s degree, students must earn a minimum of 63 credits at The University of Scranton.   

Additionally, adult undergraduate students may have the opportunity to earn credit for some “experiential learning” outside of regionally accredited college or university instruction such as through work, military service or non-accredited institutions.  The primary avenue to seeking such credit is through CLEP examinations (see section about CLEP).  In addition, an internal “portfolio” process and credit by exam may be available for certain courses; students wishing to have this learning assessed must document relevant experiences, as well as knowledge gained, for evaluation by faculty from the relevant academic departments.  Those evaluators may recommend to the student’s dean the award of credit if applicable to the student’s program of study.  A maximum of 30 credits may be awarded for all extra-institutional learning (with the exception of AP) such as CLEP, portfolio evaluation and Scranton credit by exam.

Certificates for Academic Credit

A certificate program is an educational opportunity to gain professional knowledge or training in a specific field before or after pursuing a degree. Students enroll in the undergraduate certificate programs with a variety of educational backgrounds ranging from having completed no college work to having earned a degree.

The courses a certificate student takes are part of the regular curriculum of the University. Certificate programs are comprised of eight academic credit courses that are recorded permanently on the student’s transcript. Some certificates also include guided learning experiences.

In order to earn a certificate, a student must maintain at least a C average in the certificate courses and must successfully complete any other requirements as stipulated for a specific certificate program. Generally, no more than 6 credits may be transferred into a certificate program.

Application to a certificate program is made online through the Office of Admissions by visiting  After a student’s application is approved, the student is accepted into the program and may then register. A student is responsible for conferring with an advisor before registering and as needed in the course of earning the certificate.

In certain certificate programs, the required courses may be waived on the basis of prior experience.

Certificates available include Advertising/Public Relations, Computer Information Systems, Health Administration, Human Resources Studies. The Business/Management certificates are Level I: Business, Level II: Accounting, and Personnel Management.

Students enrolled in a 24-credit certificate program, taking at least 6 credits per semester, may be eligible for financial aid. The Financial Aid Office should be contacted for further details.

Certificate programs offered at the University that are Title IV eligible include:

  • Accounting Certificate (Level II) 
  • Health Administration Certificate 

Certificate programs offered at the University that are not Title IV eligible include:

  • Advertising/Public Relations Certificate 
  • Business Certificate 
  • Personnel Management Certificate 
  • Computer Information Systems Certificate 
  • Human Resources Studies Certificate 

Second Baccalaureate Degree

University of Scranton graduates and persons with good scholastic records and a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution may apply to earn a second baccalaureate degree at The University of Scranton.

Candidates for a second baccalaureate degree are expected to complete a minimum of 30 credits at The University of Scranton beyond the completion of the studies for the first degree, of which at least 15 credits must be in the second degree’s major. Students must complete all requirements for the second degree not covered by the first degree program for the major and cognate courses. All prerequisites for major and cognate courses must also be completed. Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended are required.

No semester hours from the first baccalaureate degree can be used toward this 30-credit requirement. Grades for courses taken by University of Scranton graduates after completion of the requirements for the first baccalaureate degree will have no effect on the final grade point average of the first degree.


Students who do not plan to work toward a degree or a certificate must file an online application for admission as a self-improvement student. Those who are applying for personal gain must submit an official transcript from all post-secondary institutions attended; if none, please submit the high school transcript including SAT/ACT scores. Students who are applying to fulfill graduate school prerequisites must submit a listing of prerequisite courses required for entry into the intended graduate program, along with official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended.

Visiting Students

An undergraduate student matriculated to another college or university who wishes to take courses at The University of Scranton and transfer the credit back to their home college may do so as a visiting student. A visiting student online application is required, along with written approval from the dean or other authorized administrator of the home college, for all specified courses to be taken. The University of Scranton does not guarantee transferability of its courses. Reader courses are not available for visiting students. Visiting students taking more than one course in any semester are required to attend orientation.

High School Scholars/Dual Enrollment Program

Offered to rising juniors and seniors who have demonstrated strong achievement in high school, The University of Scranton High School Scholars Program gives local students the chance to earn college credits at a greatly reduced rate. Courses are the same as those offered to college students, giving high school students an opportunity to experience college-level work before entering college.

Dual enrollment agreements exist with several local school districts. These agreements allow for students to use their college credits toward their high school graduation requirements. In addition, some districts have secured state grant funds to help offset the expenses of enrollment. Interested students should check with their guidance offices to see if their school is a participating dual enrollment school.

Eligibility and Requirements

  • Local high school students must have completed their sophomore or junior year with a minimum of a 3.3 (B+) grade point average.
  • Students may take one course each term – fall, spring, summer I, summer II – until graduating from high school.
  • Students may enroll for a maximum of 3 credits per session. Individual exceptions may be made if GPA/SAT scores substantiate the request.
  • Registrations will be processed on a space-available basis. Students will be responsible for tuition and applicable fees.
  • Successfully completed courses (C or better) are awarded University of Scranton credits, typically 3 credits per course, and are accepted towards a degree at The University of Scranton.
  • Courses may be taken for credit at a special tuition rate of $175 per credit.

High school students must submit the online application, an official high school transcript, a course-specific recommendation from the high school guidance counselor and PSAT/SAT scores may be requested in some cases.  For more information, please visit

Students enrolled in the High School Scholars Program for the fall or spring terms must update their High School Scholars applications with a new transcript, SAT scores (if available) and registration form in order to be able to register for High School Scholars classes in the summer term.

Transfer Student Admission

Any student who wishes to transfer to The University of Scranton must submit an application and the usual credentials: official high school records, SAT/ACT scores, personal statement, letter of recommendation and transcript(s) from all college(s) attended. Students may apply online for free using the Common Application; for more information, visit The preferred deadlines are August 1 for fall entry and December 15 for the spring semester. All official transcripts must be submitted regardless of whether or not credit was earned. At the discretion of the Admissions Committee, credits from other accredited colleges may be admitted provided:

  1. The courses to be transferred are equivalent or comparable to courses offered at The University of Scranton;
  2. Students are required to follow all requirements prescribed for the degree program at The University of Scranton;
  3. Only courses taken at regionally accredited institutions will be evaluated for transfer credit;
  4. No credit will be given for courses with grades less than C.

Transfer credit is reviewed on an individual basis after the student has applied and has been issued an acceptance decision. Students transferring are required to earn a minimum of 30 credits for an associate’s degree or 63 credits for a baccalaureate degree at The University of Scranton. It should be noted that most departments require that at least half of the credits in the student’s major be taken here at the University. Special orientation sessions are held for transfer students just prior to the start of the respective term.

For more information please contact Deborah A. Lipinski, Senior Assistant Director of Transfer & Adult Admissions, at (570) 941-4839 or

Validation of Business Transfer Courses

Students may validate courses taken at a non-AACSB institution by successfully completing one or more advanced courses in the subject for which the course in transfer is a foundation course. Approval is granted by the Dean of the Kania School of Management. This applies only to lower-division transfer courses which the University offers at the upper-division level.

Tuition Payments

Each semester an invoice for your registered coursework, room and board if applicable, will be mailed to your mailing address. An ebill notice will also be sent to your Scranton email account. The semester charges are payable by the due date listed on the invoice. You can return the Remittance Form at the bottom of your paper invoice with a check, pay via e-check or credit card (fee attached) using the ebill, enroll in a monthly payment plan, or complete a loan application through Financial Aid to pay the balance.

Without exception, lab fees must be paid for all courses with a lab requirement. Also, the University Fee must be paid by all College of Arts and Sciences, Panuska College of Professional Studies and Kania School of Management students registered for courses.

No student shall be permitted to receive any degree, certificate or transcript of record until the student’s financial account with the University has been settled. For students who graduate or withdraw from the University, any financial account not settled with the University Bursar’s Office will be forwarded to an external collection agency. At the time an account is placed with an agency, collection costs become the responsibility of the student, and they will be added to the balance due to the University.

Monthly Payments

The University accepts monthly payment through participation with ECSI. For information regarding our monthly payment plan, please go to Information inviting family participation in a 10-month payment plan is mailed to parents of all incoming students in June.

Tuition Insurance

The University, through A.W.G. Dewar, Inc., provides the Tuition Refund Plan (TRP). The plan helps protect your educational investment. When combined with the University’s published refund policy, reimbursement totaling 100% of tuition and room and board charges billed by the University will be made if you must withdraw from a term because of a personal illness or accident. In case of withdrawal due to a mental or nervous disorder, 60% of the above charges are covered. Application information is available from the Bursar’s Office or you may call A.W.G. Dewar, Inc. at (617) 774-1555.

Alumni Discount

Individuals who have previously earned a baccalaureate degree from The University of Scranton and are taking undergraduate, credit-bearing courses are eligible for 50% tuition reduction.

Family Tuition Reduction

The family tuition-reduction policy applies whenever two or more dependent children from the same family are in attendance during the same semester at the University as full-time undergraduate students. The reduction also applies whenever at least one dependent child in a family is in attendance at the University as a full-time undergraduate student and a parent is enrolled full-time as an undergraduate student. The tuition deduction is equivalent to each student’s semester tuition multiplied by 10%. The Family Tuition Reduction form must be completed each year to receive the reduction for that year. Forms and additional information may be obtained from the Bursar’s Office (Web site:

Tuition Policy for Senior Citizens

Persons 60 years of age or older may audit undergraduate courses at the University at no tuition charge on a “space-available” basis. Fees and other costs of courses (e.g., textbooks) are assessed at the normal rate. The student must complete the senior-citizen-tuition waiver form and the registration process, including returning the remittance form.

Persons 60 years of age or older may take undergraduate courses for credit at 50 percent tuition. These reductions are applicable only after the person has applied for and received any form of financial assistance normally available (e.g., state and federal assistance, employer reimbursement). The student must complete the senior-citizen-tuition waiver form and the registration process, including returning the remittance form.

Senior-citizen students must complete the full application process, including submission of all official transcripts.

Tuition Refunds

The tuition refund calendar applies to all University students. The amount of tuition refund is dependent on the formal date of withdrawal. Both tuition and fees are refundable during the 100% refund period of a semester. During the partial refund periods, the refund percentage applies only to tuition; laboratory and special service fees are not refundable.

A student billed flat-rate tuition who drops a course(s) within a semester, yet remains enrolled for the semester, may be entitled to a refund following the calendar under two scenarios. If the total course load remaining is below the flat-rate tuition minimum credit load (12 credits), then an applicable refund will calculate. Or, if prior to dropping the course(s), the student’s course load was greater than the flat-tuition maximum credit load (18 credits), an applicable refund will calculate.

Recipients of Federal Title IV Financial Aid who completely withdraw are governed by the Federal Refund Policy detailed in the Financial Aid section of the catalog.

Health Insurance

All students must be covered by adequate health insurance. Unexpected serious illness or injury can have a great impact on college financial plans. University fees cover visits to Student Health Services with care by registered nurses, nurse practitioners or physicians. However, care by community providers such as laboratory, X-ray, private physician or specialists, hospital emergency department visits, or hospital admission are subject to insurance coverage or private payment. Students may contact Student Health Services for further information.

Student Identification Cards

The University of Scranton provides students with a “one card” photo-identification system – the Royal Card. Every student attending the University must have a current Royal Card. This card must be presented upon demand for student services in the fitness center, athletic facilities and library. The Royal card is used for management of meal plans in the dining facilities, access to residence halls and secured administrative buildings, photocopying and printing in the library, and as a debit card account for many Point of Sale, vending and laundry locations on campus. For more information about the Royal Card, contact the Technology Support Center at (570) 941-4357 or

Tuition and Fees 2016-2017


The University of Scranton charges all full-time undergraduate students a comprehensive or flat tuition charge for the fall and spring semesters. Not included in the charge are expenses for books and supplies, special service fees and laboratory fees. Room and board charges are assessed based on the housing option and meal plan selected.

Full-Time Student Tuition, per year


Includes 12 to 18 credits taken in each of the fall or spring semesters only. Credits taken during intersession or summer sessions or those taken above 18 credits in one semester are charged at the rate of $1,072 per credit in the fall, intersession and spring and $575 in the summer.

Tuition for Special Programs: Special Jesuit Liberal Arts program students will be allowed to take up to 21 credits per semester (fall and spring) at no additional charge above the flat-tuition rate. During their junior and senior years, students in the Honors Program and Business Leadership Program will be allowed to take up to 21 credits per semester at no additional charge above the flat-tuition rate.

Room Charges

Room charges are assessed per semester. Room fees cover intersession housing but an additional fee is assessed for any meal plan. No fees include vacation periods.

Class AA, per semester

$4,856 (single), $4,417 (double)  

Single: Madison Square, Mulberry Street Apartment Complex; Double: Mulberry Plaza


Class A, per semester


Condron, Katharine Drexel, Gavigan, Redington, Elizabeth Ann Seton


Class B, per semester


Blair, Casey, Denis Edward, Driscoll, Fayette, Fitch, Gannon, Gonzaga, Hafey, Hannan, Lavis, Liva, Lynett, McCormick, McCourt, McGowan, Nevils


Other Room Charges


Room Damage Deposit


Summer Session Housing


Summer room charges (session I and session II)


“G” Session


Residency Requirements


The University requires all first- and second-year undergraduate students to live in campus housing. Exceptions to this policy are limited to students who reside with a parent, legal guardian or spouse; are 21 years of age or older; or present other documented extenuating circumstances. The Admissions Office will determine a student’s residency status upon admission to the University.


Board charges are assessed per semester. No fees include vacation periods.


Standard Meal Plans


Unlimited meals per week, per session


$738 in Intersession. All freshmen living in University housing must participate in the unlimited meal plan during the entire freshman year. Additional information about meal plans can be found in the Student Life section of the catalog or by contacting Dining Services at (570) 941-7456.

14 meals per week, per session


$589 Intersession


10 meals per week, per session


$432 in Intersession


Flex Plus Meal Plans


The new meal options - or “plus” plans - offer the same number of meals, but the choice to add an additional $100 of flex dollars to each plan.

Unlimited meals per week, per session


14 meals per week, per session


10 meals per week, per session


Ordinary Fees

University Fee, per semester


Continuation Fee (in lieu of University Fee for students not in residence), per semester


Medical Leave Fee, per semester


Reader (Individual Study) Fee, per credit, in addition to regular tuition


Breakage Fee


Graduating students only: Commencement/Yearbook Fee


Freshman Orientation Fee


Transfer Orientation Fee


Clinical, Laboratory and Other Course Fees




Biology, per course, per semester


Chemistry, per lab hour, per semester


Physics, per course, per semester


Psychology, per course, per semester


Medical Tech Intern, per semester




Film Screen Fee, per course, per semester


Writing Fee, per course, per semester (excluding WRTG 105 , WRTG 106 , WRTG 107 )




Radio Lab Fee, per course, per semester


TV Lab Fee, per course, per semester




Film Screen Fee, HIST 212  & HIST 218 , per course, per semester 


Political Science


European Union Simulation Fee, PS 331 , per course, per semester


Foreign Languages


Language Lab Fee, per course, per semester




Clinical Lab, per hour, per semester, 200-, 300-and 400-level courses


Clinical Lab, per clinical course RN, NURS 471  and NURS 474  


Occupational Therapy


Clinical Lab, per hour, per semester


Art and Music


Music Fee (MUS 111 , MUS 112 , MUS 219 


All Art Courses Lab Fee, per course, per semester


All Art History Courses, per course, per semester


Special Service Fees


Late Tuition Payment Fee


Return Check Fee


Late Registration Fee


Requested change of schedule after classes begin


Change of Major Fee


Off-Campus Course Permission Fee


Certified transcript (per copy)


Tuition Refund Schedule

Fall/Spring Semester


Before the first day of classes; to and including 10 calendar days


To and including 17 calendar days


To and including 24 calendar days


To and including 31 calendar days


Beyond 31 calendar days

No refund

Intersession/Summer Sessions


Before the first day of classes; to and including 2 calendar days


To and including 4 calendar days


Beyond 4 calendar days of the session

No refund

Adult Undergraduate Tuition and Fees 2016-17

Full-Time Tuition (12 or more credits) and All Intersession Courses, per credit


Part-Time Tuition (fewer than 12 credits), per credit


University Fee for Full-Time Students, per semester


University Fee for Part-Time Students, per semester


Schedule Change Fee, per change form


Recreational Complex Use Fee (optional for part-time students), per semester


Prior-Learning-Portfolio Review Fee, per credit


Credit by Exam, per credit


Prerequisite Challenge Exam, per exam


Graduation Fee