Feb 22, 2024  
Undergraduate Catalog 2015-2016 
Undergraduate Catalog 2015-2016 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Additional Academic Programs

Adult Students

Adult undergraduate admission at The University of Scranton is based on the applicant’s academic record, life experiences and motivation to continue education. Adult application forms may be obtained on the web at www.scranton.edu/apply, from the Office of Transfer Admissions, or may be requested by phone at (570) 941-4839, by fax at (570) 941-4448 or by email to transfer@scranton.edu. Additional information is available at www.scranton.edu/admissions.

The Office of Admissions operates on a rolling admissions plan, in which applications are processed on a continual basis as received. Candidates are informed of the admission decision within three weeks after the completion of their files and receipt of all supporting credentials.

To complete the application file, the candidate must submit the following:

  • Adult application
  • Personal statement
  • Official high school transcript
  • SAT/ACT scores (or GED diploma and scores)
  • Official transcript from all post-secondary institutions attended
  • One letter of recommendation

Applicants are encouraged to meet with an admissions counselor and can make an appointment by contacting the Office of Transfer Admissions at (570) 941-4839 or transfer@scranton.edu.

In general, advanced standing will be granted for previously completed courses from regionally accredited institutions when they are equivalent or comparable to courses at the University, the student received grades of C or higher, and the courses meet requirements for the degree program. If the student changes major at a later date, another review of transfer credits will be made at that time, and the student will be given a written evaluation clearly indicating the transfer credits that apply to the new major. In all cases, for a bachelor’s degree, students must earn a minimum of 63 credits at The University of Scranton.   

Associate in Arts

The Associate in Arts requires each candidate for the degree to complete 60 semester hours of credit. Of these, 54 credits must be earned in the liberal arts, according to a prescribed plan covering the humanities, social/behavioral sciences, philosophy, theology/religious studies, and natural sciences/mathematics. The remaining 6 semester hours are allotted to free electives. Applicants who have attended other accredited colleges may transfer up to 30 credits for applicable courses in which a grade of C or better was earned.

To see the Associate in Arts Curriculum, visit Associate in Arts.

Certificates for Academic Credit

A certificate program is an educational opportunity to gain professional knowledge or training in a specific field before or after pursuing a degree. Students enroll in the undergraduate certificate programs with a variety of educational backgrounds ranging from having completed no college work to having earned a degree.

The courses a certificate student takes are part of the regular curriculum of the University. Certificate programs are comprised of eight academic credit courses that are recorded permanently on the student’s transcript. Some certificates also include guided learning experiences.

In order to earn a certificate, a student must maintain at least a C average in the certificate courses and must successfully complete any other requirements as stipulated for a specific certificate program. Generally, no more than 6 credits may be transferred into a certificate program.

Application to a certificate program is made through the College of Graduate and Continuing Education Admissions Office. After a student’s application is approved, the student is accepted into the program and may then register. A student is responsible for conferring with an advisor before registering and as needed in the course of earning the certificate.

In certain certificate programs, the required courses may be waived on the basis of prior experience.

Certificates available include Advertising/ Public Relations, Computer Information Systems, Health Administration, Human Resources Studies. The Business/Management certificates are Level I: Business, Level II: Accounting, and Personnel Management.

Students enrolled in a 24-credit certificate program, taking at least 6 credits per semester, may be eligible for financial aid. The Financial Aid Office should be contacted for further details.

Certificate programs offered at the University that are Title IV eligible include:

Certificate programs offered at the University that are not Title IV eligible include:

Second Baccalaureate Degree

University of Scranton graduates and persons with good scholastic records and a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution may apply to earn a second baccalaureate degree at The University of Scranton.

Candidates for a second baccalaureate degree are expected to complete a minimum of 30 credits at The University of Scranton beyond the completion of the studies for the first degree, of which at least 15 credits must be in the second degree’s major. Students must complete all requirements for the second degree not covered by the first degree program for the major and cognate courses. All prerequisites for major and cognate courses must also be completed. Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended are required.

No semester hours from the first baccalaureate degree can be used toward this 30-credit requirement. Grades for courses taken by University of Scranton graduates after completion of the requirements for the first baccalaureate degree will have no effect on the final grade point average of the first degree.


Students who do not plan to work toward a degree or a certificate must file an adult application for admission as a self-improvement student. Those who are applying for personal gain must submit an official transcript from all post-secondary institutions attended; if none, high school transcript including SAT/ACT scores. Students who are applying to fulfill graduate school prerequisites must submit a listing of prerequisite courses required for entry into the intended graduate program, along with official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended.

Visiting Students

An undergraduate student matriculated to another college or university who wishes to take courses at The University of Scranton and transfer the credit back to their home college may do so as a visiting student. A visiting student application is required, along with written approval from the dean or other authorized administrator of the home college, for all specified courses to be taken. The University of Scranton does not guarantee transferability of its courses. Reader courses are not available for visiting students. Visiting students taking more than one course in any semester are required to attend orientation.

High School Scholars/Dual Enrollment Program

Offered to rising juniors and seniors who have demonstrated strong achievement in high school, The University of Scranton High School Scholars Program gives local students the chance to earn college credits at a greatly reduced rate. Courses are the same as those offered to college students, giving high school students an opportunity to experience college-level work before entering college.

Dual enrollment agreements exist with several local school districts. These agreements allow for students to use their college credits toward their high school graduation requirements. In addition, some districts have secured state grant funds to help offset the expenses of enrollment. Interested students should check with their guidance offices to see if their school is a participating dual enrollment school.

Eligibility and Requirements

  • Local high school students must have completed their sophomore or junior year with a minimum of a 3.3 (B+) grade point average.
  • Students may take one course each term – fall, spring, summer I, summer II – until graduating from high school.
  • Students may enroll for a maximum of 3 credits per session. Individual exceptions may be made if GPA/SAT scores substantiate the request.
  • Registrations will be processed on a space-available basis. Students will be responsible for tuition and applicable fees.
  • Successfully completed courses (C or better) are awarded University of Scranton credits, typically 3 credits per course, and are accepted towards a degree at The University of Scranton.
  • Courses may be taken for credit at a special tuition rate of $175 per credit.

High school students must submit a completed application consisting of an official high school transcript, a course-specific recommendation from the high school guidance counselor and PSAT/SAT scores (if available). To obtain an application, please contact the Office of Admissions or visit www.scranton.edu/hsscholars.

Students enrolled in the High School Scholars Program for the fall or spring terms must update their High School Scholars applications with a new transcript, SAT scores (if available) and registration form in order to be able to register for High School Scholars classes in the summer term.

Credit for Academically Relevant Learning

Many students have acquired “experiential learning” outside a formal college or university classroom in jobs, military service or non-accredited institutions.

The University provides opportunities for adult undergraduate students to earn credit for such experiences. A maximum of 30 credits will be awarded for extra-institutional learning, excluding military credit. This includes CLEP, Excelsior College Examination, ACE-approved credit, portfolio credit, and PONSI credit. (Advanced-placement credit is considered separately.)

Students wishing to have this learning assessed for possible credit must document relevant experiences and the knowledge gained from them for departmental review. Faculty evaluators from the appropriate department(s) will evaluate the portfolio and may recommend a credit award for students’ learning. For further information, contact a Graudate and Continuing Studies advisor at (570) 941-7580.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The College-Level Examination Program has been established to enable students of all ages to earn college credit by examination. Through the CLEP tests, applicants may gain credit in many academic subjects applicable to their degree programs. Individuals who wish to receive information about these examinations should either consult the Graduate and Continuing Education Services Director or contact CLEP directly by writing to the Program Director, College-Level Examination Program, College Entrance Examination Board, Box 660, Princeton, NJ 08541 or sending e-mail to clep@info.collegeboard.org.


Once accepted into The University of Scranton, a student is expected to maintain continuous enrollment. The dean may approve requests for one, and, on occasion, two consecutive semester leaves of absence. Students who do not attend the University for a semester or more, without an approved leave of absence, will be required to complete a full application for readmission. This may also result in a student’s needing to fulfill new curricular requirements. To apply for readmission, contact the Academic Advising Center in the college to which you seek readmission.

Readmission of Dismissed Students

An adult undergraduate student who has been dismissed from The University of Scranton and wishes to apply for readmission to the University may do so no sooner than one full semester after the semester in which the dismissal took place. Readmission is not automatic; the student will need to demonstrate that the conditions which led to dismissal will not present a continuing problem. If a student is dismissed a second time from the University, readmission is not permitted. Students who want to be readmitted after dismissal need to apply directly to the college in which you seek readmission.  Students should contact the appropriate Academic Advising Center.

University of Scranton/Marywood University Cross-Registration

Full-time undergraduate students who are in good standing and have completed 30 credits at The University of Scranton may take two Marywood University courses (equivalent to 6 credits) during the calendar year (January to December) on a space-available basis and with the approval of their advisor and dean. Part-time students who are in good academic standing and have completed 30 credits at The University of Scranton may take one Marywood course for every five Scranton courses, for a maximum of six Marywood courses, on a space-available basis and with the approval of their advisor and dean.

Adult Undergraduate Tuition and Fees 2015-16

        Full-Time Tuition (12 or more credits) and All Intersession Courses, per credit
        Part-Time Tuition (fewer than 12 credits), per credit $856.00
        University Fee for Full-Time Students, per semester $200.00
        University Fee for Part-Time Students, per semester $25.00
        Schedule Change Fee, per change form $15.00
        Recreational Complex Use Fee (optional for part-time students), per semester $70.00
        Prior-Learning-Portfolio Review Fee, per credit $30.00
        Credit by Exam, per credit $75.00
        Prerequisite Challenge Exam, per exam $15.00
        Graduation Fee $250.00

  Alumni Discount

Individuals who have previously earned a baccalaureate degree from The University of Scranton and are taking undergraduate, credit-bearing courses are eligible for 50% tuition reduction.

  Family Tuition Reduction

See Undergraduate Admission and Expenses .

  Tuition Policy for Senior Citizens

Persons 60 years of age or older may audit undergraduate courses at the University at no tuition charge on a “space-available” basis. Fees and other costs of courses (e.g., textbooks) are assessed at the normal rate. The student must complete the senior-citizen-tuition waiver form and the registration process, including returning the remittance form.

Persons 60 years of age or older may take undergraduate courses for credit at 50 percent tuition. These reductions are applicable only after the person has applied for and received any form of financial assistance normally available (e.g., state and federal assistance, employer reimbursement). The student must complete the senior-citizen-tuition waiver form and the registration process, including returning the remittance form.

Senior-citizen students must complete the full application process, including submission of all official transcripts.