Feb 24, 2024  
Student Handbook 2020-2021 
Student Handbook 2020-2021 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Residence Life and Housing

Residence Life


The Office of Residence Life challenges students to expand upon their academic experience with a focus on educating the whole person through engagement in opportunities within their living communities. Committed to forming “men and women for and with others,” Residence Life offers safe, inclusive, and supportive living environments for students to pursue their academic and co-curricular interests while developing meaningful interpersonal relationships. Students are expected to actively participate in their residential communities, respecting the rights of others while embracing the responsibilities associated with positive community building. This includes, but is not limited to, participation in community conversation and events, ensuring healthy decisions regarding substance use, managing time and stress effectively, developing relationships, and exploring faith.

The University affords students the opportunity to reside in secure, comfortable living spaces that foster student learning. First-year residential students live with their peers in traditional corridor-style halls while upperclass students select from a range of housing options that include suite-style halls with semi-private baths, University houses and apartments. The University also provides apartment-style housing for graduate students.

Each year, the Office of Residence Life coordinates several intentionally designed Residential Learning Communities (RLCs) to provide undergraduate students with a distinctive experience that allows them to live, learn, and belong to a community of diverse peers with common interests and goals. RLCs are classified as either Living Learning Communities (LLCs – students take a linked course)) or Theme Communities (TC – students do not take a linked course). 

A. Conditions

With regard to student-health status, any student who is able to carry out activities of daily living may appropriately live in University housing. The particular conditions are listed in the “Residence Hall and Food Service Agreement.” We advise that anyone with chronic health conditions such as diabetes, asthma, etc., inform roommate(s) and the staff member assigned to that floor or area of information necessary to access emergency care should the need arise. Student Health Services, located in the Roche Wellness Center, should also be made aware of these and other potential concerns. Students requiring residential accommodations due to medical issues must submit the verification forms with the Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence (CTLE).

The University of Scranton requires all first- and second-year undergraduate students to live in campus housing. Exceptions to this policy are limited to students who reside with a parent, legal guardian or spouse; are 21 years of age or older; or present other documented extenuating circumstances. The Admissions Office will determine a student’s residency status upon admission to the University. Students may apply to live off campus for their junior year but must be approved by the Office of Residence Life and the Division of Student Life.

The University of Scranton guarantees undergraduate students on campus housing for four consecutive years. Consequently, if a student has never lived off campus, he or she retains that guarantee. If a student has moved off campus, he or she loses the guarantee and can only be housed on a space available basis. This guarantee applies to all housing offered through the housing lottery or through post lottery housing processes.

The University provides in-room access to the campus communication network (cable and internet) in all residence-hall rooms and University houses at no additional charge. In addition, light in-room housekeeping to first-year and sophomore students, 24-hour maintenance and 24-hour security are provided.

B. Contractual Obligations

All resident students are responsible for the terms of the “Residence Hall and Food Service Agreement” whether or not they sign this agreement. Once housing and/or the meal plan is confirmed for a student, the student is obligated to reside in University housing and/or participate in the meal plan during each term enrolled in that academic year, including intersession.

No student may reside in University housing during the Intersession term unless she or he is enrolled in a class for the Intersession period or has been given specific permission by the Office of Residence Life.

C. Room and Board

Room Plans

Housing costs are based on the building to which the student is assigned. There are four housing classes:

Class AA

Romero Plaza, Madison Square, Montrone Hall and Pilarz Hall.

Class A

Condron Hall, Gavigan Hall, Redington Hall, Katharine Drexel House, Dorothy Day House and Elizabeth Ann Seton House.

Class B

Blair House, Casey Hall, Dennis Edward Hall, Driscoll Hall, Fayette House, Fitch Hall, Gonzaga House, Hafey Hall, Giblin-Kelly Hall, Gannon Hall, Lavis Hall, Lynett Hall, Martin Hall, MacKillop Hall, McCourt Hall, Nevils Hall and Tioga House.

Class C (Graduate Student Housing)

Quincy Avenue Apartments

Meal Plans

The University offers a choice of six meal plans providing Unlimited, 14, 10, Unlimited Plus, 14 Plus or 10 Plus meals per week. These plans are available only when the University is officially opened and NOT over vacation periods, before the start of classes, or after classes are finished. First-year students are required to be on the Unlimited plan.

Once the contract is signed students living in upper-class areas may reduce their meal plan only during the first two weeks of the semester or Intersession, although they can increase it at any time throughout the year. Any request to change the contract must be put in writing to the Director of Dining Services and will only be considered based on financial hardship or medical necessity.

For details, see Dining Services  section.

D. Services

Each University operated residence facility receives 24 hour (emergency) maintenance and 24 hour security.


Washing machines and dryers are available in most on campus residential areas. All of these machines are coin operated and most are Royal Card operated. If equipment is out of order, damaged, or vandalized, please report the situation to Residence Life. Only resident students may use laundry machines.

Light Housekeeping and Maintenance

In-room custodial services (trash removal and vacuuming) in first year and sophomore residences will be paused this semester. Students will be given instructions on trash disposal at the beginning of the semester by their Resident Assistant.

Facilities staff will focus cleaning services on community spaces and common touch points to help maintain an environment that limits the spread of COVID-19.


Mailbox assignments are made in conjunction with building assignments. Box numbers then become part of each student’s mailing address. Students who live in off campus housing are not assigned University mailboxes. Mailboxes are located in the DeNaples Center. Mail is delivered once a day, Monday through Saturday.

A notice is placed in a mailbox if a package, certified receipt or registered letter, etc., has arrived for the student. Students then pick up their package or letter at the Mail Department office located in the DeNaples Center. A photo I.D. must be presented by students.

Storage Facilities

There is no storage space for students living in University housing. Students may not store belongings between academic years or assignment changes. Additionally, students may not use common areas of residence halls for personal storage (i.e. bicycles).

E. Charges

The University levies certain charges and fees to cover the costs of operating its student residences and dining services. Fall-semester room and board billings are forwarded to returning students during mid-July; incoming first year and transfer students receive such billings during the latter part of July. A student enrolling in a room and/or board plan after the beginning of the fall semester can expect to be billed within 30 days of enrollment. Board bills for intersession are sent to students late in November and spring-semester bills are issued before Christmas vacation.

Payment of room and/or board charges should be forwarded to the Treasurer’s Office by the billing date indicated on the invoice. Invoices are forwarded to a student’s home address unless the student informs the Treasurer’s Office of an alternate billing address.

Charges and Fees

  Room Charges (per semester)    
    Class AA Single $5,307  
    Class AA Double 4,826  
    Class A 4,826  
    Class B 4,564  
    Class C apartment 4,915  
  Board Charges (per semester)    
    Unlimited Meal Plan $3,259  
    14-Meal Plan 2,753  
    10-Meal Plan 2,256  
    Unlimited Plus Plan 3,359  
    14 Plus Plan 2,853  
    10 Plus Plan 2,356  
  Intersession Board Charges    
    Unlimited Meal Plan $776  
    14- Meal Plan 619  
    10-Meal Plan 454  
  Other Charges    
    First Year/Transfer Room Deposit $100  
    Returning Student Room Deposit 250  
    Room Damage Deposit 200  


Room deposits, special fees and room and board fees may be refundable for students in good standing by making a written request directed to the Director of Residence Life.

F. Room Assignments

Room Reservation Deposit

All Upperclass resident students intending to return to University housing for the 2021-2022 academic year are required to pay a non-refundable $250 housing deposit before being allowed to reserve a room for the coming academic year. Upperclass students are required to pay a non-refundable $250 housing deposit by February 1, 2021. This $250 fee will be applied to the student’s Fall 2021 semester room charges.

There is no requirement for a Room Reservation Deposit from residential first year students because all residential first years are required to live in University housing as sophomores.

Selecting Room Assignments

The University will make every effort to satisfy room preferences, but it reserves the right to make assignment adjustments as deemed necessary for the benefit of the student or the University. Therefore, the University reserves the right to make all final decisions about room assignments.

In the spring of each academic year, students who have paid a room-reservation deposit and submitted lottery information on time are allowed to select a room assignment for the upcoming year.

G. Security of Residences

Residents share the responsibility of security in the residence halls. The University provides secure entrances including video surveillance and after hour’s on-duty staff member.

Card Access

Students are not permitted to lend their Royal Cards to other students for security purposes, nor are students allowed to use or possess any Royal Card other than their own. Should a student lose his or her key or Royal Card, it must be reported immediately. A Royal Card may be immediately canceled via the Royal Card online site.

Combination Security

The locks on some apartment entrance doors are combination locks.

Posting combinations, making combinations available to unauthorized persons, or communicating the combination to others in a manner that threatens security constitutes an extremely serious violation of University policy. At no time should a person use a combination to enter another student’s room, hallway, or residence building.

Entrance-door combinations are changed periodically throughout the academic year. Students are informed about combination changes by the Office of Residence Life. A student desiring to have a room-door combination changed for reasons of security should contact the Resident Assistant, Community Assistant or Area Coordinator.

Door Security

Residents must close and lock their doors when not in their room or sleeping. Giving access to unidentified persons to residence halls or propping building entrance doors or other secured doors is prohibited and will result in referral to the Office of Student Conduct.

Emergency Exit Doors

The use of emergency exits is strictly prohibited unless an active emergency alarm is sounding or students are directed to do so by campus safety personnel. If students or their guest(s) misuse an emergency exit door, he or she will participate in the student conduct process and may be charged a $50 fine. If the Residence Life staff is unable to identify who is responsible for an emergency exit door being activated inappropriately, the residence hall community will be notified and assessed a community bill for the $50 fine.

Fire Safety

Creating a safe environment in the residential areas is the responsibility of all community members. The behavior of one resident can impact the safety of each person. Students are expected to follow evacuation procedures and policies related to prohibited items, smoking, fire safety equipment and fire escapes at all times.

The following evacuation procedures are to be adhered to when the fire alarm sounds:

  1. Immediately upon knowing the alarm has been activated, each occupant in the residence is to close her or his windows and door and leave the building by the nearest exit.
  2. No one should linger in the building for any reason.
  3. All occupants must remain at least 100 feet away from the residence in which the alarm sounded. No one may re-enter the residence before the proper authorities grant permission.
  4. Occupants of the building should gather and the building assembly point which will be communicated during fire drills.

Resident students are never to be on hall fire escapes except in times of emergency. In addition, clothing and signs are not allowed to be hung from the fire escapes.

Tampering with fire extinguishers, alarms and other safety equipment is a serious offense against the University community. A student found responsible of this offense faces a maximum penalty of expulsion from the University.

Keys and Lockouts

Each student residing in University housing is given either a key or room-door combination at check-in. The key governs the lock on her or his room door. Students are cautioned to understand that room security depends significantly on controlling access to her or his key at all times. A replacement for a lost key may be requested online through UIS and will require a $30 charge in the first year and sophomore residence halls and $60 charge in the apartments or houses.

At no time should a student lend her or his key to another student for any purpose. Keys are not allowed to be duplicated.

The University Police Department or Residence Life staff may assist a student with a lockout. Only residents of a room or hall will be granted access. If a student is given access from University staff, a charge may be assessed. If three lockouts are recorded, the lock will be changed and the resident will be charged appropriately.

Entering Student Rooms and Residences

Authorized University representatives may enter a student’s room to inspect, repair, examine, or make necessary alterations. In addition, University representatives may enter a student’s room to enforce University policy; to investigate possible policy infractions; to ensure that students have vacated the room in fire-drill or emergency situations; to inspect for cleanliness, health and safety; or to place, replace, repair or remove rented equipment.

A student is not allowed to enter another student’s room without permission from the occupant. University staff will provide access to a room only for the resident of that room.

H. Staff

The management of the live-in student staff and the development of the residential community are the direct responsibility of the Area Coordinator. The Area Coordinator is responsible for supervision, program development and addressing student needs within the residence halls, houses and apartments.

The Resident Assistants (RAs) are student staff members employed as live-in peer mentors that maintain a healthy, collegiate environment and provide social and educational development for a community of 16 to 80 residents. Students of the university must comply with directives given by Residence Life student staff in the performance of their duties.

Some residence halls are staffed with Jesuit Counselors. A student should never hesitate to call upon the services of these staff members. Their experience and knowledge are particularly valuable in dealing with spiritual development and emotional concerns.

Residence Life staff members seek to assist students in their adjustment to campus life. Staff members are responsible for the general welfare of the resident students on a floor or in a house and carries specific responsibilities in areas of peer counseling, program coordination, and enforcement of University policies.

I. Behavioral Policies and Regulations

Alcohol and Other Drugs

All University policies related to alcohol and drugs are listed in the University Policies section of the Student Handbook. For detailed information on alcohol policies applicable to on campus housing refer to this section.

Break Housing

All students will be expected to follow the established dates and rules of closing per the University calendar.

The University closes all of its residence halls for the period between fall semester and intersession. Therefore, no student will be able to stay for the December Break.

All University of Scranton housing is officially closed with the exception of graduate housing in the Quincy Avenue Apartments during Fall Break, Thanksgiving Break, Spring Break and Easter Break. Please note that Fall 2020 breaks were eliminated based on an update to the University calendar.

A student may request to stay during a holiday break if they are participating in a University sponsored event, activity, or academic purpose, or if extreme personal circumstances arise. Students must request to stay by completing the “Request for Break Housing Form” located on the online housing portal.

Should a student stay in on campus housing outside of authorized residency periods without permission, she or he may be assessed a fee and face disciplinary action. Students need to keep their rooms locked at all times and will be held responsible for any prohibited items found in their rooms during breaks by University staff.

Care of Rooms and Lounges

Residents are expected to keep their rooms clean and orderly. The furniture in rooms and its arrangement comply with existing fire and health codes. If students plan to augment room furniture with chairs or sofas, they must purchase furniture which is clean and fireproof. Waterbeds are not allowed. Supplementary furniture must be removed by room occupants and properly disposed of at the end of the academic year. Students are not allowed to remove or store any University furniture or equipment placed in the student’s room. Students are not allowed to remove furniture from any of the common areas.

Students are not allowed to damage any part of the room, neither the structure nor the equipment. If any item is damaged or broken, it should be reported to a University staff member. Students are not allowed to repair or replace broken or damaged items owned by the University.

Courtyards and Lawns

Students are not permitted to engage in games of catch with hard balls or lacrosse sticks or other types of vigorous activity where large groups of residents gather in the courtyards and green spaces immediately adjacent to student residences. This policy exists to preserve the green areas and protect residents and the buildings

Damage and Vandalism

Prior to resident move-in, Residence Life and Facilities Operations will conduct an inspection of each student room and note any damages, or missing items. Resident Assistants are familiar with the general condition of their assigned building and rooms. Students are responsible to report any new damage to their Resident Assistant. If a resident fails to report damage, the staff will assume that the damage occurred purposefully and the student(s) of that room are accepting financial responsibility for the damages. Students must report room/building concerns within 12 hours of a damage occurrence.

Residence Life and Facilities Operations keep an electronic record of room conditions and furniture inventories. These exist to protect students from damages they are not responsible for, including ordinary wear and tear. Students are able to submit work order requests through their student staff members. These work orders alert maintenance personnel to new problems in a particular room or within the building.

An incoming resident student is required to pay a $200 room-damage fee. The room-damage fee will be paid by each student upon assuming residency and will be refunded in full (or in part if any claims are made against the fee) upon the student’s graduation or approved withdrawal from the housing system. An additional $200 room-damage fee must be paid by a resident student each time she or he is responsible for damages in the residences totaling more than $200.

In those cases when the responsible parties for damages to the residence cannot be determined, the University reserves the right to distribute the cost of repairs or replacement for these damages among all residents residing in that residence or area of residence.

Vandalism or behavior that could lead to damage of the residence halls is prohibited. Persons found engaging in such behavior (i.e. elevator misuse, practical jokes, etc.) It is noted that the University reserves the right to utilize video surveillance in counteracting vandalism.

Decorating a Room

Students are encouraged to respectfully decorate their rooms reflecting their personalities and in collaboration with their roommate(s). It is prohibited to hang or place items on the ceiling of a room or attach string lights to furniture. Students are required to use appropriate adhesive products to decorate their walls and/or door. A comprehensive list of prohibited items is listed for your reference later in this section.

Students are prohibited from displaying outward-facing decorations (including signs, advertisements, etc.) in or on external apartment and residence hall windows. Residence Life may utilize internal windows in common areas to communicate information with residents.

Students or other non-University personnel are not allowed to paint their rooms.

Early Arrivals 

The early arrival policy applies to students who are participating in approved University activities. Individual requests to move in prior to the published openings of the residence halls will be considered on a case by case basis and only granted under extreme circumstances.

Facility Reservation

Residence hall and house lounge spaces are for the explicit use of the residents of that building. No other group may use that space during the academic year. The exceptions to this are: Collegiate Hall and the multipurpose rooms in Condron Hall and Montrone Hall. Only students taking registered classes through the University may have access to the classroom space. In order to reserve the multipurpose rooms in Montrone Hall, Condron Hall or Collegiate Hall, please contact the Office of Residence Life at least two weeks prior to the date needed. Please note that this space is also set aside as a study space and will not be given to groups during busy academic times.

Failure to Comply

Residence Life staff members are charged with the overall responsibility of ensuring that student residences offer safe, attractive and comfortable conditions promoting optimum student development and learning. Such staff members often must make requests of students in the performance of their various duties. Failure to comply with the legitimate request of a Residence Life staff member or other University official is not permitted.

Gambling/ Businesses

Gambling is not allowed in the University residences or anywhere else on campus. A residence hall room or the University Computer Network are not to be used for gambling or operating a business.

Guest & Visitation Policy

No one is welcome in a University of Scranton student residence unless she/he resides in that residence, is a University employee working in that residence, is being hosted by a resident of that building, or is given permission by the University to do work in that building. Resident students are held responsible for the behavior of their guests. Guests must always be escorted by a resident while in the building.

In order to limit community spread of COVID-19, it is necessary to limit contact between people in close quarters. Accordingly, no non-University guests and no overnight guests will be allowed in residence halls until further notice.

All guests must be met at the entrance of the facility and escorted by her or his host. Should residents of a room or area disagree about a visitor’s presence, the right of a student to live in privacy takes precedence over the right of a roommate to entertain a guest in the room. If a guest violates University Policy, the host may be accountable through the student conduct process.

The following hours are for visitation in residence hall rooms:    
  A.First-year and sophomore housing  
  Sunday through Thursday 10:00 a.m. to Midnight  
  Friday and Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m.  
  B. University Apartments and Houses    
  Sunday through Saturday Open Visitation  

Inspection of a Student Room

As set forth in the Residence Hall Agreement, University staff members reserve the right to enter a student room to inspect for cleanliness, health and safety, policy violations, and to complete repairs or to do regular custodial work.

In instances when a University staff member has reason to believe that University policy, procedure or regulations are being violated, a student’s room will be subject to an administrative inspection. When possible, inspections will be conducted in the presence of the residents of the room. The presence of a University of Scranton Police Officer may be requested by the staff member conducting the inspection to maintain safety and to receive and secure any evidence or contraband collected by the University staff member during the inspection.

The University Police Officer will not direct or participate in the inspection unless requested by the University staff member, in accordance with applicable law.

Loss or Theft of Personal Property

The University is not liable for the loss or theft of a resident’s personal property from any cause whatsoever. Insurance companies offer renter’s policies and some home owner’s insurance policies covers student’s property while living away from home.

Modifications to Rooms

Structural modification or repair of damages in the residence by a student or other non-University personnel is not allowed. This includes setting any University-owned furniture on blocks, crates, etc. Cinder blocks and bricks are not allowed in student rooms without the permission of the Office of Residence Life.


It is essential that an atmosphere conducive to study and reflection be maintained in all University residences. Each resident student, therefore, is expected always to be considerate of others, and to exhibit restraint in the playing of music or otherwise creating noise in and around University residences. Stereos are not allowed to be played out a student’s window or out into the public areas of the residence.

Residents should conduct their activities so as not to interfere with the quiet of others. Quiet hours in the residences are Sunday through Thursday from 10:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. and Friday and Saturday from midnight until 10:00 a.m. A student may always ask another resident to be mindful of noise being created. Disorderly conduct which disturbs others is not permitted at any time.

Prohibited Items

Students are prohibited from possessing, displaying, or using prohibited items. For the safety and security of residents and the care of our facilities, the following items are prohibited:

  • Adhesive items that damage the walls and surfaces. Painter’s and Masking tape is recommended.
  • Candles, incense, plug in air fresheners or any open flames.
  • Chemicals, including flammable materials such as gasoline, propane, etc.
  • Cooking equipment, including but not limited to, toasters and toaster ovens, open-coil heaters or burners, and indoor grills.
  • Darts and dartboards.
  • Empty alcohol containers on display.
  • Fireworks.
  • Halogen, black and neon lights/ lamps.
  • Lofts or any elevation device not provided by The University of Scranton.
  • Natural holiday trees.
  • Pets. Only fish are allowed, with one tank per room, no larger than 10 gallons. Pets will be immediately removed by University personnel.
  • Space heaters.
  • Stolen property including construction barriers, construction signs, University signs, University banners, food-service equipment, etc.
  • Vehicles or any engine-driven devices.
  • Weapons, or any other item which is created or used to cause injury or destruction. These include knives (except for kitchen knives used in their intended manner), handguns, rifles, shotguns, BB guns, pellet guns, any item which resembles a firearm, dart guns, bows and arrows, swords, martial arts implements, and explosives whether manufactured or handmade.

Prohibited Items in Apartment Kitchens

Due to the unique nature of the upper-class apartments and houses that include kitchens, some modifications exist for the above list. Items that have a functional use for cooking or the preparation of meals are permissible for their intended use. These items include cooking equipment, such as toasters, toaster ovens, and indoor grills and are only permitted in the kitchen areas. Any questions related to these items should be addressed to the Resident Assistant or Area Coordinator in a timely manner.

Residential Health Concern

Should a student present physical or mental health conditions that place themselves or others at risk, Residence Life may temporarily restrict the student from on campus housing. The University of Scranton’s Counseling Center in coordination with Residence Life will assess the student for risk of harm to self and others, and to determine the ability of the student to cooperatively live in a residence hall environment. The Office of Residence Life and/or the Dean of Students will notify the student of his or her ability to return, and outline any conditions which must be met as a requirement of living on campus.

Restricted Areas in Residences

A number of areas in student residences are off limits to students. These areas include electrical or mechanical closets, storage closets, roofs, balconies and staff rooms or offices. These spaces are typically locked.

Room Assignments

A resident is not allowed to sublet her or his room at any time. The University reserves the right to move a resident from one room to another.

In most cases, the University will not move a student out of her or his room at the request of a roommate. However, if this request is due to policy violations, the student should pursue disciplinary action through the Office of Student Conduct. A student may be moved out of housing or relocated as the result of a disciplinary sanction. Medical reasons are typically not valid reasons to ask that a roommate be moved.

A resident student may have one or more vacancies in her or his room. Although the University makes every attempt to provide residents with roommates, this is not always possible. A room with vacancies should be clean and ready for new occupant(s) at all times.

Room-Change Process

A student may request a room change after the second week of classes for each semester. The student will need to have discussed the change with her or his roommate and the student staff member and to have made reasonable efforts to work through any conflicts. A meeting must be scheduled with the student staff member and Area Coordinator prior to any room change approval.

A student must have approval to move prior to changing rooms. 


Students that have an on-campus housing assignment are expected to sleep in their own room when staying on campus. Sleeping in hallways, lounges, stairwells, or other public places is not permitted.


Solicitation in the residences is generally prohibited to protect residents from frequent visits and possible harassment. Student clubs and organizations must receive permission from the Office of Residence Life to go door to door to speak with residents.


Smoking is prohibited inside and within 25 feet of all University residences. This prohibited behavior includes the use of cigarettes, e-cigarettes, vaporizers, and banned items such as drug paraphernalia and hookahs.


Due to the potential for serious injury or death, University policy strictly prohibits the throwing of any object from the window of any University building. Students may not remove screens from windows.

Students are prohibited from displaying outward-facing decorations (including signs, advertisements, etc.) in or on external apartment and residence hall windows. Residence Life may utilize internal windows in common areas to communicate information with residents.

Signs and other material are not allowed to hang outside of windows, off fire escapes, or off buildings.