Jun 14, 2024  
Graduate Studies Catalog 2020-2021 
Graduate Studies Catalog 2020-2021 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


The Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Memorial Library

The 80,000-square-foot, five-story building, named for Harry and Jeanette Weinberg opened in 1992. The facility includes a variety of seating choices including 94 computer workstations, large tables, soft seating, individual study space, group study rooms, quiet study areas, and the Heritage Room, a large reading room on the fifth floor overlooking the campus. Four areas are available by card swipe 24/7:

· The Reilly Learning Commons, which includes lecture capture facilities, podcasting space, high-end computing, 6 Macs, a 3D printer, a Writing Center Satellite, and reservable group study rooms.

· The Pro Deo Room, which includes a computer lab, café seating, and a 46-inch touchscreen table PC.

· The Second Floor, which includes a computer lab, group study rooms, large tables, study carrels, two rooms for quiet study, Reference materials, and Periodicals.

· The Third Floor, which includes individual computer access, large tables, study carrels, and four rooms for group study. These rooms do not need to be reserved.

There are 15 laptops and 7 IPads available at the Circulation Desk for loan to students. Throughout the building, there is wireless access to the Internet including wireless printing. The Java City Café on the first floor provides hot beverages, smoothies, sandwiches, salads, soup, and snacks most hours the library is staffed during the fall and spring semesters. Food and drink may be consumed throughout the building.

In 2019, Library holdings of 908,954 volumes included: 330,803 print books; 475,355 electronic books; 76,239 bound journal volumes, and 26,557 volume-equivalent microforms. The Library has 65,231 unique journal titles in print and electronic subscriptions. The Media Resources Collection, located on the third floor, holds 23,219 non-print items and provides access to 105,689 streaming media programs. The University Archives and Helen Gallagher McHugh Special Collections, located on the fourth floor, houses the University’s historical records, rare books, faculty publications, and other special collections. The library’s Digital Collections are available at http://digitalservices.scranton.edu/. In addition to the Library’s own collection, books are available for direct borrowing through PALCI (Pennsylvania Academic Library Consortium Inc.) E-Z Borrow, and journal articles may be requested through Interlibrary Loan. Special services for delivery of materials are available for distance learners.

130 electronic databases are accessible on the Library’s website. A proxy server provides remote access to databases and full text documents for those who are off campus. Research & Scholarly Services are available in-person on the second floor, and can also be reached by calling 570-941-4000, by texting 570-687-8787, by emailing askalibrarian@scranton.edu, or online via the Ask a Librarian chat box located on the Library homepage. The online Ask a Librarian chat box is staffed 24/7 and is conducted live. The Library also has a robust Information Literacy Program that instructs students in information discovery, evaluation, and use. Students can visit the Research Services Desk or call 570-941-4000 to schedule an appointment with a librarian. Faculty are encouraged to schedule information literacy instruction sessions for their classes by going to https://www.scranton.edu/academics/wml/infolit/instruction.shtml.

Library hours are posted on campus and on the Library’s website. The building is staffed 95.5 hours per week, with extended hours during exam periods. For information about the Library, its services, and resources, see the Weinberg Memorial Library homepage at http://www.scranton.edu/library. To find out what’s new in the Library, visit http://sites.scranton.edu/library.

Career Development

The Gerard R. Roche Center for Career Development

The Center for Career Development staff advises students and alumni on all aspects of career planning, including, but not limited to: career decision-making/major choice, internship/job search, resume/cover letter preparation, interview skills, application processes and negotiations. In addition, programs are held throughout the year to provide information and guidance on topics related to career preparation. The career team coordinates an effort to locate new internship and full-time opportunities for students and alumni. All opportunities available to The University of Scranton students and alumni can be found at www.scranton.joinhandshake.com. All graduate students are encouraged to complete a profile and upload a resume to ensure easy applications and visibility to interested employers. The work of the Center for Career Development is enhanced by the utilization of students as graduate assistants, interns, and work-study students. Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Contact the Center for Career Development in Ciszek Hall or call 570-941-7640 to arrange an appointment. Inquiries can also be sent to careers@scranton.edu or through the website at www.scranton.edu/careers.

Counseling Center

The Counseling Center provides a confidential, safe, comfortable and caring place for students. Sometimes students have personal concerns they might wish to discuss with a member of the staff. These concerns might be related to stress, relationships, transition, trauma, development, school, self-concept, family dynamics, etc. Other concerns may be alcohol and other drug use/abuse, anxiety, depression, eating disorders, learning disabilities/ADHD. Finding ways to identify and cope with these concerns can make a difference in the life of a college student.

The Counseling Center is staffed by licensed professionals including psychologists, counselors, and social workers who are available to help students make the most of their years at the University. We also provide referrals for psychiatric evaluations and consultation.

The Counseling Center, located in O’Hara Hall, sixth floor, is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The Counseling Center does not provide online therapy services. After-hours emergency crisis consultation is available on a 24-hour basis from August through May while classes are in session by contacting the Campus Police Department at (570) 941-7777. For information only, our web address is www.scranton.edu/counseling. Due to the fact that email communication is not confidential, appointments need to be made by calling the Counseling Center at (570) 941-7620 or by stopping by the Center in O’Hara Hall, sixth floor.

Center for Health Education and Wellness

The Center for Health Education and Wellness (CHEW) strives to build a healthier campus community. In keeping with the Jesuit philosophy of Cura Personalis, we are dedicated to the promotion of wellness in mind, body, and spirit. We offer a wide-range of programs and classes on wellness topics such as mindfulness meditation, yoga, stress reduction and nutrition. Check out CHEW’s Weekly Wellness Classes and many other health promotion events that are available free of charge for graduate students by visiting the CHEW website: www.scranton.edu/chew. CHEW is located in the Patrick and Margaret DeNaples Center – Room 205K.

Computer Facilities

The University provides many computing facilities on campus as well as extensive access to our wireless networks. General access labs are available in the Weinberg Memorial Library. The Weinberg Memorial Library Computer Labs provide 24/7 access. The Library also provides loaner laptops, which may be checked out for use in the Library, on a first come, first served basis. Most academic departments provide instructional and general use computing labs for their students.

The University supports two wireless networks: RoyalSecure, which is available in every building on campus as well as most outdoor areas, and RoyalGuest, which is widely available and intended for guest or visitors to our campus.

Further information and assistance is available at the Information Technology Support Center in Alumni Memorial Hall or on our website at www.scranton.edu/it.  All students, on-campus and online, may contact the Technology Support Center by phone at 570-941-HELP or by email at techsupport@scranton.edu.

Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence

The Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence (CTLE) provides academic services for students and opportunities for faculty to enhance teaching and learning. The CTLE can assist graduate students with reading comprehension, writing skills, overall learning strategies, and the use of instructional technologies available on campus. Assistance is offered in the areas of time management, organizational skills, effective study techniques and learning styles. For graduate students who take online courses, the Writing Center at the CTLE provides online consultations. The CTLE also offers opportunities for faculty and students to engage in teaching mentoring experiences through the Student/Faculty Teaching Mentorship Program (SFTMP). Students with a documented disability should register with the CTLE so that they can receive appropriate academic accommodations. To assist students achieve academic success, individual consultations are encouraged with the CTLE Reading Specialist, the Learning Enrichment Specialist, and the Writing Consultants.

The CTLE is located on the 5th floor of the Loyola Science Center. To learn more about the CTLE’s programs and services for students and faculty visit the Web site at www.scranton.edu/ctle or phone 570-941-4038.

Byron Recreational Complex/John Long Center

Any graduate student may use the Byron Recreational Complex, the John Long Center and the fitness center located on the first floor of the Pilarz apartment complex by paying a fee of $70.00 each semester or $140.00/year. Students may have the fee added to their account on-line through UIS system or may pay by cash or check in the Byron Office. All fees are non-refundable. Facilities in the Byron Recreational Complex include three multi-purpose gymnasiums that may be used for basketball, volleyball, badminton, and tennis; indoor pool and locker rooms containing saunas and steam rooms; racquetball/handball courts; and a dance/aerobics room. The John Long Center facilities, located adjacent to the Byron Complex, include a gymnasium, wrestling room and locker rooms. The fitness facility located on Mulberry St. is home to 50 pieces of cardio equipment, each equipped with individual cardio theatre, as well as 22 pieces of Cybex VR3 selectorized weight machines and a state-of-the-art free weight area. For more information call the Recreational Center at 570-941-6203.

Student Health Services

Student Health Services is located in the Roche Wellness Center at the corner of Mulberry Street and North Webster Avenue. Graduate students who come to campus have the option of utilizing on-campus services by paying the health fee of $65.00 each semester. Payment of the health fee may be made at the Bursar’s Office or through the Student tab on my.Scranton.edu. The SHS fee is non-refundable.

On-campus services include health and wellness information, nursing assessment, treatment of routine illnesses and injuries, medical services provided by certified nurse practitioners and physicians by appointment, as well as referral to community health care providers for services beyond the scope of a student health facility. It is very important that all students have health insurance coverage. Although Student Health Services does no insurance billing, community providers will require health insurance or private payment for services such as hospitalization, laboratory testing or x-ray, etc.

Further information may be obtained by contacting Student Health Services at 570-941-7667 or visiting our website which can be accessed at http://www.scranton.edu/studenthealthservices.

Graduate Student Housing

The University of Scranton offers comfortable and competitively priced accommodations for full-time, on-campus graduate students. Space is limited and is available on a first-come, first-served basis. These furnished apartments are within walking distance to the campus and downtown Scranton. For more information please contact the Office of Residence Life at (570) 941-6226 or visit their website, http://www.scranton.edu/studentlife/studentaffairs/residence-life/grad-housing.shtml for specific information on housing for graduate students.

Graduate Assistantship Information

Graduate Assistantships enable graduate students to pursue graduate education, strengthen the quality of their educational experience, and helps the University develop the quality of its graduate programs. Graduate Assistantships also provide valuable and necessary services to the University. However, because Assistantships are primarily students, their duties should have a direct relationship to their academic program of study.

A graduate student who would like to be considered for a Graduate Assistant position, should apply no later than February 1. Applications will be accepted after this date. In all cases, applicants must have a minimum undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.00, must be regularly admitted as a graduate student into a graduate degree program, and is selected based on his/her previous teaching experience or his/her academic potential to be effective in his/her field of training.

All students accepting Graduate Assistantship positions must participate in an orientation workshop prior to the start of the semester in which the Assistantship will begin. The required service commitment and compensation of a Graduate Assistantship may vary depending on level of hire. Graduate Assistantship positions are available in several departments throughout campus.

Stipend payments are made in equal monthly allotments on the first day of the month following the month of service. Withholding of federal, state, and local income taxes are similar to those pertaining to ordinary income. During the academic semesters in which a graduate student holds a Graduate Assistantship position, he/she is limited in holding full-time or part-time employment outside of the University.

Students who accept a Graduate Assistantship position assigned to an academic department are expected to satisfy their service commitment during each of the academic semesters, including the week of final exams. An appropriate schedule should be worked out between supervisors and those holding Graduate Assistantship positions well in advance to clarify expectations.

Students holding Graduate Assistantship positions may be dismissed for failure to remain in good academic standing. Each semester the University will review the academic progress of students to determine if any fall below the required cumulative 3.00 GPA. If an Assistant is placed on academic probation, he/she must meet with the Graduate Program Director of the home department. The decision to allow an assistant to continue with an assistantship while on academic probation will be made by a University representative in consultation with the Graduate Program Director and the Dean, taking into account the individual circumstances of the student holding the assistantship.

Financial Aid for Graduate Students

Graduate students are considered to be full-time students if enrolled for a minimum of six credits per semester. Students who are enrolled for a minimum of three credits per semester are considered to be half-time students. For additional information, please refer to the Comprehensive Guide to Financial Aid Programs, at scranton.edu/financialaid, click on Publications. 

Students accepted to a graduate studies program may apply for the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program, Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan Program and the Federal Work Study Programs. Students enrolled in the Master of Occupational Therapy Program are eligible for University of Scranton grants and scholarship for two additional terms for fall and spring during the graduate years, exclusive of internal transfers. Aid not to exceed Gift Aid policy. 

Financial Aid Notifications:  When a determination of eligibility is made, an email will be sent to the student’s University of Scranton email account advising them to view their Electronic Award Notification on the my.scranton portal, click on Home and Self Service.

Terms and Conditions:  In accepting the award package offered, all students must read the Terms and Conditions in the Comprehensive Guide to Financial Aid Programs, at scranton.edu/financialaid, click on Publications.

Required Applications: Graduate students applying for any federal financial aid listed above, must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which is available online at studentaid.gov. Students applying for federal work study must complete the Online Work Study Application available at my.scranton.edu, click on Self Service, select Student Services and Financial Aid and complete the Work Study Application. Federal Work Study applicants must indicate this request when completing the FAFSA form. Please notify the Financial Aid Office if you are receiving Employer Reimbursement and complete the Deferment of Tuition Payment Form for each term you are seeking tuition reimbursement. Please visit scranton.edu/bursar under common forms.

Federal Direct Stafford Loans: The Federal Direct Stafford Unsubsidized Loan Program is the primary source of financial aid for many graduate students. Repayment begins six months after students complete a program of study or withdraw for more than six months or drop below half-time. Students must also complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling. Visit scranton.edu/financialaid and click on Loans & Financing Options, Graduate Students, click on Federal Direct Stafford Loans, click on the Master Promissory Note and then Entrance Counseling. Please read and complete all required items. The MPN is valid for 10 years, but the FAFSA must be filed each year.

Aggregate and Annual Loan Eligibility for Graduate Students: The annual maximum Stafford Loan for graduate students is $20,500 and $33,000 for Masters Health Administration and MBA/MHA Dual Degree only for the Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan Program. Graduate students will be certified for the maximum eligibility based on cost of attendance for the loan term. Should you not want the maximum, please notify the Financial Aid Office in writing from your University of Scranton email account, on the amount that you wish to borrow. Loan proceeds are credited to the student’s account at the beginning of each semester depending on when the loan was processed. Students will be notified when funds have been disbursed to the account. Eligibility is also dependent on Satisfactory Academic Progress and the aggregate amount a student has already borrowed for their educational career. Graduate students are limited to an aggregate of $138,500 and $224,000 for Masters Health Administration and MBA/MHA Dual Degree only.

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans are available to credit worthy graduate students. Students may apply for up to the difference between their cost of attendance less the total of all other financial aid received. Students are required to complete a FAFSA and should first utilize the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program prior to borrowing under the Federal Direct Graduate Plus Loan program. The maximum amount Graduate students may borrow per academic year is the difference between the cost of attendance minus other Financial Aid. Apply for the full academic year. Students must complete the Graduate PLUS Request Form and complete a MPN and Entrance Counseling. Visit scranton.edu/financialaid, click on Loans & Financing Options, Graduate Students, click on Federal Direct Plus Loan, select Federal Direct PLUS Loan Request Form. Go back and click on the Master Promissory Note and then Entrance Counseling. Please read and complete all required items. The MPN is valid for 10 years provided you do not require an endorser, but the FAFSA must be filed each year.

Alternative Loan Programs are available to credit-worthy students and co-applicants. There are variable and fixed rate loans. Application and credit requirements vary. For more information, visit scranton.edu/financialaid, click on Loans & Financing Options, Graduate Students, and click on Alternative Loan.  

Federal Work Study Program:  A federal campus-based program that provides employment during the academic year and in the summer for students demonstrating financial need. The majority of the jobs are on-campus positions in various departments and administrative offices. Some jobs, both on and off campus, involve community service. Students seeking campus employment must file a FAFSA. Indicate that you are interested in the work-study program and complete an online application.

Loans for Students Enrolled in Teacher Certification or Pre-Professional Coursework: Students admitted in a Teacher Certification Program and not in a Master’s Degree Program are eligible to borrow up to $5,500 in the Stafford Loan and up to $7,000 in the Additional Unsubsidized Stafford Loan (if eligible under this program). Students admitted under a Pre-Professional status who are enrolled in pre-requisite courses for admission into an eligible graduate or professional program, may be eligible to borrow up to $5,500 through the Direct Stafford Loan Program and up to $7,000 through the Direct Additional Unsubsidized Stafford Loan (if eligible under this program). Students are limited to one loan for one consecutive 12-month period for these maximum amounts for pre-professional coursework. In addition to the required financial aid application process, students enrolled under a Pre-Professional status must submit a letter from their advisor stating that the coursework is required for admission into a graduate or professional degree program. Repeated courses cannot be included when calculating financial aid.

Veterans Education Programs: The University of Scranton is partnering with the federal government to help fund the cost of tuition for military veterans and their eligible dependents by participating in the federal Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program). The University of Scranton has chosen to contribute the maximum 50% funding. When matched by the VA, this contribution, plus the Post 9/11 GI Bill ®, will fund the full cost of tuition at the University of Scranton. In the event Post 9/11 GI Bill funds are exhausted, it is the student’s responsibility to provide documentation to the Financial Aid Office that their benefits are exhausted.

Veterans and eligible dependents should consult their regional Veterans Administration (VA) counselor to establish their eligibility for veterans’ education benefits or apply online. Information is available on the Veterans Administration website at gibill.va.gov. Once eligibility is established through the VA, students must submit a copy of their Certificate of Eligibility or Statement of Benefit to the Financial Aid Office. (Students need to submit another copy of their Letter of Eligibility only if they elect benefits under a different chapter of the GI Bill at a later date.) In addition, veterans or their dependents must submit a University of Scranton Request for Certification form to the Financial Aid Office prior to each term for which they wish Scranton to certify their enrollment to the VA. This form is available to students through student’s my.scranton, Home Tab, Student Link (found to the left) and click on Veteran to locate the Request for Certification Form. For additional information, please contact the Financial Aid office at finaid@scranton.edu.

*GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Resources: Graduate Assistants, Graduate Teaching Assistants, Graduate Research Assistants, Employer Reimbursement and any other outside award will be considered as a resource and will be taken into account when determining Financial Aid.


The U.S. Department of Education regulations require that educational institutions measure students’ progress toward a declared educational objective, both quantitatively and qualitatively in order to be eligible to receive Federal Title IV aid, which includes Federal Work Study, Federal Direct Stafford Loans, and Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans.

Detailed information about academic probation for continuation in a program of study may be found in the Academic Regulations section in the graduate catalog under Standards of Progress.

Requirements: The measurement of satisfactory academic progress for receipt of federal student aid is broken down into three categories: maximum time frame, PACE and qualitative measure as explained in the following sections.

Maximum Time Frame: A student may not exceed a maximum number of attempted credits in any program(s), even if aid was not received during all periods of enrollment. The maximum number of credits is 150% of a student’s program(s) required credits. Once a student reaches the maximum amount of credits attempted as specified by the program(s), the student will be ineligible to receive further Title IV aid. Students in this category may submit appeals in accordance with the Appeals section of this policy.

Examples: Program Credits X 1.5= Maximum Attempted Credits (Note: attempted credits include all transfer and advanced standing credits)

Community Counseling- 60 credits X 1.5=90 maximum attempted credits
Educational Administration- 39 credits X 1.5=58.5 maximum attempted credits
Total credit requirements for your major(s) X 1.5= maximum attempted credits

Please note that the maximum time frame measurement always uses a student’s current major(s) credit requirements. Students who experienced a change in major(s) may appeal the maximum time frame restriction, as outlined in the Appeals section of this policy.

PACE: This measurement ensures that a student is completing their program(s) within the maximum time frame allowed. PACE is calculated by dividing total credits earned by total credits attempted and includes accepted transfer and advanced standing credits in both the numerator and denominator. PACE is measured annually at the conclusion of the spring semester. Graduate Student PACE measurement is 70%.

Examples are listed below:


Term Credits Attempted Credits Earned Cumulative Credits Attempted Cumulative Credits Earned Percentage Completed Meeting Pace

Fall First Year

6 3 6 3


Spring First Year 8 6 14 9 64%  
First Annual Measurement         64% No
Summer After First Year 4 4 18 13 72% Yes
Fall Second Year 6 3 24 16 66% No
Spring Second Year 8 7 32 23 71%  
Second Annual Measurement         74% Yes


Qualitative Measure:  In addition to the maximum time frame and PACE requirements specified above, all students must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00 in order to demonstrate satisfactory academic progress for receipt of federal aid. The 2.00 cumulative GPA requirements apply to all Federal Student Aid Programs and need-based University of Scranton funds and University of Scranton Work Study Program.

Monitoring Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements: Both PACE and GPA requirements are measured at the end of each spring semester. In the interim, all students are responsible to monitor their compliance with all satisfactory academic progress requirements for receipt of aid funds. Students not meeting PACE and/or the minimum grade point average for receipt of federal aid must earn the sufficient number of credits and/or meet the minimum cumulative grade point average requirements before having aid reinstated, or have successfully appealed for an exception to the requirements.

Financial Aid Suspension: In the event a student’s federal and/or University aid is canceled, a formal notice will be sent to the student informing him/her of the action and requirements for reinstatement and procedures for appeal.

Reinstatement of Aid: Financial aid eligibility may be reinstated when the student has reestablished satisfactory academic standing. It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Financial Aid Office in writing when cumulative GPA requirements have been met and/or PACE deficiencies are corrected.

Once matriculated at The University of Scranton, credits taken at another institution must be approved by the dean of the college in which the student is enrolled. Detailed academic policies about this topic may be found under Academic Regulations section of the graduate catalog under Transfer of Credits.

Appeals: If, due to extenuating circumstances, students fail to meet academic progress requirements, they may appeal the termination of their financial aid. SAP Appeal Form and student instructions are located on the Financial Aid website under forms. Appeals must be made in writing to the Director of Financial Aid and must specify the reason(s) why satisfactory academic progress was not achieved and how the deficiencies can be remediated during any approved probationary period. Documentation of the reason(s) for appeal – letters from physicians, copy of death certificate for family member, etc. must accompany the written request. The Financial Aid Office will consult with the dean’s office of the college in which the student is enrolled to obtain a recommendation on the appeal request. An appeal will be granted in cases where the University determines that a student should be able to meet the satisfactory academic progress standard during the subsequent payment period or develops an academic plan for a student that, if followed, will ensure that she or he is able to meet satisfactory academic progress by a specific point in time. The academic plan may specify requirements on the part of a student and designate a time frame to meet the satisfactory academic progress requirements. All final decisions will be communicated by the Financial Aid Office.

Financial Aid Probation: A student on financial aid probation may receive federal student aid funds for one payment period, which includes summer and special sessions. The institution may require a student on financial aid probation to fulfill specific terms and conditions such as taking a reduced course load, enrolling in specific courses or availing themselves of specified University or private resources. At the end of one payment period on financial aid probation, the student must meet the University’s satisfactory academic progress standards for receipt of financial aid or meet the requirements of the academic plan developed by the dean’s office and the student to qualify for further federal student aid funds.

These provisions do not apply to continued receipt of federal student aid for students whose cumulative grade point average is not the minimum, cumulative grade point average of 2.00, except in cases where a student successfully appealed and was placed on Financial Aid Probation, or is meeting the requirements defined in an individual academic plan approved by their college’s dean’s office.

Drops, Withdrawals and Incomplete Grades: Credits dropped during the drop refund period of the term as defined on the published academic calendar are not counted as attempted credits. Incomplete courses are counted as attempted credits for the determination of PACE and maximum time frame.

Stop Outs and Re-admitted Students: When a student has a break in enrollment and is readmitted, satisfactory academic progress will be evaluated taking into consideration any transfer and advanced standing credits earned during the break in enrollment and accepted by the University.

Terms, Parts of Term and Summer: Terms are comprised of all sessions and parts of term within a term. For measurement of satisfactory academic progress, January Intersession will be combined with spring term.

Audited Courses: Audited Courses are not considered as attempted or earned in the calculation of PACE and maximum time frame.

Repeated Courses: Repeated courses will be counted each time attempted and will be only counted in earned once. However, if a course which had been passed is repeated and the latter grade is an F, the course will no longer be counted in earned. For more information visit Standards of Progress.

Multiple Majors/Degrees: The maximum time frame will be calculated using all required credits to complete multiple majors and all credits attempted and earned will be used in the calculation of PACE.

Change of Major: The maximum time frame will be calculated using the current major and all credits attempted and earned, including those for prior major(s) will be part of PACE and cumulative grade point average calculations.

Subsequent Degrees: Measurement of maximum time frame and PACE will be calculated based on the requirements of the subsequent degree.

International Students may apply for Private Educational Alternative Loans to help finance their educational costs. Students must be credit worthy and must also apply with a credit worthy U.S. citizen or a permanent resident who has resided in the U.S. for the previous two years. Information is available at scranton.edu/financialaid, click on Loans & Financing Options, then click on Alternative Loans.


In accordance with federal regulations, all students who receive federal financial aid and who completely withdraw from the University during the first 60% of a semester will have their federal financial aid (Direct Stafford Loans and Direct Graduate PLUS Loans) adjusted based on the percent of the semester completed prior to the withdrawal. That is, students will be entitled to retain the same percent of the federal financial aid received as the percent of the semester completed. This percent is calculated by dividing the number of days in the semester (excluding breaks of five days or longer) into the number of days completed prior to the withdrawal. The date of withdrawal will be the date the student begins the withdrawal process in accordance with the official procedures outlined in the catalog. There will be no adjustment to federal financial aid after 60% of the semester is completed. Students who must totally withdraw from school should consult with the Financial Aid Office on how the refund policy applies to their situation. Students should consult the Comprehensive Guide to Financial Aid Programs at scranton.edu/financialaid, click on Publications for specific information on aid adjustment policies due to complete withdrawals during a term.


For students who began attendance and have not officially withdrawn and fail to earn a passing grade in at least one course offered (ALL “F” GRADES) during an enrollment period will be considered to have withdrawn at the midpoint of that semester/module(s) if a last date of attendance cannot be determined for financial aid purposes. For students who receive all “I” grades, “I’s” indicate postponement of the completion of the courses and are given an extension; students must complete all of the required work before the mid-point of the next regular semester. If students do not earn a passing grade in at least one course offered, they will be considered to have withdrawn at the mid-point of that semester/module(s) for financial aid purposes. For students who receive all “NG” grades, “NG” will indicate temporary grades. Temporary grades are issue when a faculty member fails to meet the deadline for submission for grade reports. Such temporary grades will be changed to permanent grades when issued by the professor. If students do not earn a passing grade in at least one courses offered, they will be considered to have withdrawn at the midpoint of that semester/module(s) for financial aid purposes. Students should consult the Comprehensive Guide to Financial Aid Programs at scranton.edu/financialaid, click on Publications for specific information on aid adjustments policies due to complete withdraws during a term.

For a more complete description of aid programs and policies, review the Comprehensive Guide to Financial Aid Programs at scranton.edu/financialaid, click on Publications.


The Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 requires all post-secondary institutions to provide prospective and enrolled students with consumer information that includes student outcomes, student financial assistance, health and safety, and intercollegiate athletics. The University of Scranton provides links to consumer information and required disclosures at scranton.edu/consumerinfo. The page can be accessed through the Consumer Information link in the footer of all University webpages and is updated periodically as the most current data becomes available.

Endowed Scholarships

The Pakistani Student Fellowship: Established by longtime University Economics/Finance professor, Riaz Hussain, Ph.D. G’80, this fellowship provides funds for students pursuing graduate studies in business administration, chemistry, counseling, health administration, nursing, occupational therapy, physical therapy or software engineering. The recipient must be a citizen of Pakistan or Bangladesh.

The Professor Dr. Jay Nathan, Ph.D., Scholarship: Retired university professor Dr. Jay Nathan, a former Senior Fulbright Scholar, endowed this scholarship in 2011 to provide financial assistance to graduate level students in the Kania School of Management from Mongolia, Thailand, India, Poland or the Central Asian countries of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistand. If there are no graduate students eligible for the scholarship, consideration will be given to Kania School of Management undergraduate students from these countries.

The Regina B. Inch Bennett ‘93, G’96 Scholarship: When Regina retired as Assistant Dean in the College of Graduate & Continuing Education in 2012 after more than 30 years of service to the University, Dean W. Jeffrey Welsh, Ph.D., established and raised additional funds to endow this scholarship in her honor. Awards are given to graduate students enrolled in either campus-based or online graduate programs who hold full-time employment. The student must be in good academic standing. If two equally qualified candidates are identified, the candidate with the higher cumulative GPA (and if necessary, greater quality points) will receive the scholarship.

Annual Scholarships

The Sarah Beth Beynon Memorial Scholarship of the Scranton Area Foundation: This scholarship is awarded by the Scranton Area Foundation to graduate students pursuing studies in cancer research.