Sep 19, 2019  
Graduate Studies Catalog 2016-2017 
Graduate Studies Catalog 2016-2017 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


The Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Memorial Library

The 80,000-square-foot, five-story building, named for Harry and Jeanette Weinberg opened in 1992. The facility includes a variety of seating choices including 100 computer workstations, large tables, soft seating, individual study space, group study rooms, quiet study areas, and the Heritage Room, a large reading room on the fifth floor overlooking the campus and community. Three areas are available by card swipe 24/7:

  • The Reilly Learning Commons, which includes lecture capture facilities, high-end computing, 6 MACs, a Writing Center Satellite, and group study rooms.
  • The Pro Deo Room, which includes a computer lab café seating,and a 46-inch touchscreen table PC.
  • The Second Floor, which includes a computer lab, large tables, study carrels, Reference materials and current Periodicals.

There are 15 laptops, 7 iPads, and 4 Google Tablets available at the Circulation Desk for loan to students. Throughout the building, there is wireless connection to the Internet. The Java City Café on the first floor provides hot beverages, smoothies, sandwiches, salads, and snacks most hours the library is staffed. Food and drink may be consumed throughout the building.

Library holdings include 618,324 print and electronic volumes, 49,799 print and full-text online journal titles, and 213,402 full-text electronic books that users can read on smartphones, tablets and computers. Some required readings for courses are available through electronic reserves. Over 118 electronic databases are available on the Internet. A proxy server provides remote access to databases and full text documents for those who are off campus. The University Archives and Helen Gallagher McHugh Special Collections houses the University’s historical records, rare books, faculty publications, and other special collections. The Media Resources Collection located on the third floor, holds 23,088 non-print items and access to 24,145 streaming media programs.  In addition to the Library’s own Online Public Catalog, books are available through PALCI (Pennsylvania Academic Library Consortium Inc.) E-Z Borrow, and journal articles may be requested through Interlibrary Loan. Special services for delivery of materials are available for distant learners. The library’s digital collections are available at

The Library conducts an extensive information literacy program to orient and instruct students in resources and research techniques. Users can call the Reference Desk at 570-941-4000 to schedule an appointment. Users may also chat with a Librarian via phone, “Ask a Librarian”, IM or by texting 570-687-8787 any hours the Library is open. Live Chat with American Jesuit College and University librarians is also available 24/7.

Library hours are posted on campus and on the Library’s website. The building is staffed 95.5 hours per week, with extended hours during exam periods. For information about the Library, its services, and resources, see the Weinberg Memorial Library homepage at or search “library” from the University’s homepage To find out what’s new in the Library, visit Infospot@WML or

 Career Services

The Gerard R. Roche Center for Career Development

The Center for Career Development staff advises students and alumni on all aspects of career planning, including, but not limited to:  career decision-making/major choice, internship/job search, resume/cover letter preparation, interview skills, graduate school application, and negotiations.  In addition, programs are held throughout the year to provide information and guidance on topics related to career preparation. The career team coordinates an effort to locate new internship and full-time opportunities for students and alumni.  All opportunities available to The University of Scranton students and alumni can be found at All students are encouraged to complete a profile and upload a resume to ensure easy applications and visibility to interested employers.  The work of the Center for Career Development is enhanced by the utilization of students as graduate assistants, interns, and work-study students. Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.  Contact the Center for Career Development in Ciszek Hall or call 570-941-7640 to arrange an appointment.  Inquiries can also be sent to or through the website at

Counseling Center

The Counseling Center provides a safe, comfortable, caring and confidential place for students. Sometimes students have personal concerns they may wish to discuss with one of our staff. These may be related to relationships, transition, coping, development, school, self-concept, family dynamics, etc. Other concerns may be alcohol and other drug use/abuse, anxiety and/or depression, etc.

The Counseling Center is staffed by licensed psychologists, counselors, social workers and a part-time psychiatrist who are available to help students make the most they can out of their years at the University. Finding ways to identify and cope with these concerns can make a difference in the life of a college student.

The Center, located in O’Hara Hall, sixth floor, is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Later evening sessions may be available by appointment. The Counseling Center does not provide online therapy services. After hours emergency crisis consultation with a clinician is available on a 24-hour basis from September through May while classes are in session by contacting Public Safety 570-941-7777. For Counseling Center appointments, students may call 570-941-7620 or stop by the Center. Our web site address is

Center for Health Education and Wellness

The Center for Health Education and Wellness (CHEW) encourages healthy lifestyle choices by providing in-house educational programs, as well as referrals to campus resources.  Students are encouraged to assess and improve their health in each of the eight dimensions of wellness: spiritual, social, physical, intellectual, occupational, multicultural, environmental, and emotional. In addition, student leadership and peer education opportunities are available through the Center’s Coalition of Peer Educators in the following areas: Physical Activity, Nutrition, Mental Health, HIV/AIDS, Tobacco, Late Night Programming, and Alcohol and Drug Prevention.  Program offerings are posted on campus and on our webpage each semester. Visit or contact the Center for additional information. CHEW is located in the Patrick and Margaret DeNaples Campus Center – Room 205K. The Center is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and evenings by appointment 570-941-4253.

Computer Facilities

The University provides many computing facilities on campus as well as extensive access to our wireless networks. General access labs are available in the Weinberg Memorial Library. The Weinberg Memorial Library Computer Labs provide 24/7 access. The Library also provides loaner laptops, which may be checked out for use in the Library, on a first come, first served basis. Most academic departments provide instructional and general use computing labs for their students.

The University supports two wireless networks: ROYALAIR, which is available in every building on campus as well as most outdoor areas, and RoyalGuest, which is widely available and intended for guest or visitors to our campus.

Further information and assistance is available at the Information Resources Technology Support Center in Alumni Memorial Hall. All students, on-campus and online, may contact the Technology Support Center by phone at 570-941-HELP or by email at

Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence

The Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence (CTLE) provides academic services for students and opportunities for faculty to enhance teaching and learning. The CTLE can assist graduate students with reading comprehension, writing skills, overall learning strategies, and the use of instructional technologies available on campus. Assistance is offered in the areas of time management, organizational skills, effective study techniques and learning styles. For graduate students who take online courses, the Writing Center at the CTLE provides online consultations.  The CTLE also offers opportunities for faculty and students to engage in teaching mentoring experiences through the Student/Faculty Teaching Mentorship Program (SFTMP). Students with a documented disability should register with the CTLE so that they can receive appropriate academic accommodations.  To assist students achieve academic success, individual consultations are encouraged with the CTLE Reading Specialist, the Learning Enrichment Specialist, and the Writing Consultants.

The CTLE is located on the 5th floor of the Loyola Science Center.  To learn more about the CTLE’s programs and services for students and faculty visit the Web site at or phone 570-941-4038.

Byron Recreational Complex/John Long Center

Any graduate student may use the Byron Recreational Complex, the John Long Center and the fitness center located on the first floor of the Pilarz apartment complex by paying a fee of $70.00 each semester or $140.00/year.  Students may sign to have the fee added to their account or may pay by cash or check.  Regardless of payment method all memberships are processed in the Byron Rec Office.  All fees are non-refundable. Facilities in the Byron Recreational Complex include three multi-purpose gymnasiums that may be used for basketball, volleyball, badminton, and tennis; indoor pool and locker rooms containing saunas and steam rooms; racquetball/handball courts; and a dance/aerobics room.  The John Long Center facilities, located adjacent to the Byron Complex, include a gymnasium, wrestling room and locker rooms.  The fitness facility located on Mulberry St. is home to 44 pieces of cardio equipment, each equipped with individual cardio theatre, as well as 22 pieces of Cybex VR3 selectorized weight machines and a state-of-the-art free weight area.  For more information call the Recreational Center at 570-941-6203.

Student Health Services

Student Health Services is located in the Roche Wellness Center at the corner of Mulberry Street and North Webster Avenue. Graduate students who come to campus have the option of utilizing on-campus services by paying the health fee of $65.00 each semester.   Payment of the health fee may be made at the Bursar’s Office.

On-campus services include health and wellness information, nursing assessment, treatment of routine illnesses and injuries, medical services provided by certified nurse practitioners and physicians by appointment, as well as referral to community health care providers for services beyond the scope of a student health facility. It is very important that all students have health insurance coverage. Although Student Health Services does no insurance billing, community providers will require health insurance or private payment for services such as hospitalization, laboratory testing or x-ray, etc.

Students may telephone or e-mail requests for general health information but diagnosis or recommendations for treatment are not done by telephone or e-mail. Further information may be obtained by contacting Student Health Services at 570-941-7667 or visiting our website which can be accessed at

Graduate Student Housing

The University of Scranton offers comfortable and competitively priced accommodations for full-time, on-campus graduate students. Space is limited and is available on a first-come, first-served basis. These furnished apartments are within walking distance to the campus and downtown Scranton. For more information please contact the Office of Residence Life at (570) 941-6226 or visit their website, for specific information on housing for graduate students.

Graduate Assistantship Information

Employment of graduate students in positions of Graduate Assistantships enables them to pursue their graduate education, strengthens the quality of their educational experience, and helps the University develop the quality of its graduate programs. Graduate Assistantships also provide valuable and necessary services to the University. However, because Assistantships are primarily students, their duties should have a direct relationship to their academic program of study.

A graduate student must apply for vacant Graduate Assistantship positions no later than March 1. In all cases, applicants must have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.00, must be regularly admitted as a graduate student into a graduate degree program, and is selected based on his/her previous teaching experience or his/her academic potential to be an effective instructor in his/her field of training.

All students accepting Graduate Assistantship positions must participate in a workshop prior to the start of the fall semester. The required service commitment and compensation of a Graduate Assistantship may vary depending on level of hire. Graduate Assistantship positions may be available either by an academic department or by an administrative office to manage special projects or work in a paraprofessional capacity. Non-departmental offices may select candidates from many areas of graduate study.

Stipend payments are made in equal monthly allotments on the first day of the month following a month of service. Withholding of federal, state, and local income taxes are similar to those pertaining to ordinary income. During the academic semesters in which a graduate student holds a Graduate Assistantship position, he/she is not permitted to hold any full-time or part-time employment at the University.

Students accepting Graduate Assistantship positions assigned to academic departments are expected to satisfy their service commitment during each of the academic semesters (including the week prior to the start of the semester, the constituent weeks of the semester, and the week of final examinations). An appropriate schedule should be worked out between supervisors and those holding Graduate Assistantship positions well in advance to clarify expectations.

Students holding Graduate Assistantship positions may be dismissed for failure to remain in good academic standing. Each semester the University will review the academic progress of students to determine if any fall below the required 3.00 GPA. If an assistant is placed on academic probation, he/she must meet with the Graduate Program Director of the home department. The decision to allow an assistant to continue with an assistantship while on academic probation will be made by a University representative in consultation with the Graduate Program Director taking into account the individual circumstances of the student holding the assistantship.

The Graduate Assistantship process is currently under review. Further details will be available by the end of fall 2016 at


Graduate students are considered to be full-time students if enrolled for a minimum of six credits per semester. Students who are enrolled for a minimum of three credits per semester are considered to be half-time students. For additional information, please refer to our Comprehensive Guide to Financial Aid Programs on the Financial Aid website under Publications.

Students accepted to a graduate studies program may apply for the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program, Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan Program and the Federal Work Study Programs. Students enrolled in the Master of Occupational Therapy Program are eligible for University of Scranton grants and scholarship for two additional terms for fall and spring during the Graduate years, exclusive of internal transfers. When a determination of eligibility is made, an email will be sent to the student’s University of Scranton email account advising them to view their Electronic Aid Notification Letter on my.scranton portal, click on Home and Self Service.

Required Applications: Graduate students applying for any federal financial aid listed above, must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which is available online at Students applying for federal work study must complete the Online Work Study Application available at, click on Self Service, select Student Services and Financial Aid and complete the Work Study Application. Federal Work Study applicants must indicate this request when completing the FAFSA form.  Please notify the Financial Aid Office if you are receiving Employer Reimbursement and complete the Deferment of Tuition Payment Form for each term you are seeking tuition reimbursement. Please visit under common forms.

Federal Direct Stafford Loans:  The Federal Direct Stafford Unsubsidized Loan Program is the primary source of financial aid for many graduate students.  Repayment begins six months after students complete a program of study or leave of absence for more than six months or drop below half-time.  Students must also complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling.  Visit and click on Loans & Financing Options, Graduate Students, click on Federal Direct Stafford Loans, click on the Master Promissory Note and then Entrance Counseling.  Please read and complete all required items.  The MPN is valid for 10 years, but the FAFSA must be filed each year.

Aggregate and Annual Loan Eligibility for Graduate Students: The annual maximum Stafford Loan for graduate students is $20,500 for the Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan Program. Graduate students will be certified for the maximum eligibility based on cost of attendance for the loan term. Should you not want the maximum, please notify the Financial Aid Office in writing from your University of Scranton email account, on the amount that you wish to borrow. Loan proceeds are credited to the student’s account at the beginning of each semester depending on when the loan was processed. Students will be notified when funds have been disbursed to the account. Eligibility is also dependent on Satisfactory Academic Progress and the aggregate amount a student has already borrowed for their educational career. Graduate students are limited to an aggregate of $138,500.

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans are available to credit worthy graduate students. Students may apply for up to the difference between their cost of attendance less the total of all other financial aid received. Students are required to complete a FAFSA and should first utilize the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program prior to borrowing under the Federal Direct Graduate Plus Loan program. Students must notify the Financial Aid Office of their request to apply under this program and must also complete a MPN and Entrance Counseling.  Visit and click on Loans & Financing Options, Graduate Students, click on Federal Direct Plus Loan, click on the Master Promissory Note and then Entrance Counseling.  Please read and complete all required items.  The MPN is valid for 10 years provided you do not require an endorser, but the FAFSA must be filed each year.

Loans for Students Enrolled in Teacher Certification or Pre-Professional Coursework: Students admitted in a Teacher Certification Program and not in a Master’s Degree Program are eligible to borrow up to $5,500 in the Stafford Loan and up to $7,000 in the Additional Unsubsidized Stafford Loan (if eligible under this program). Students admitted under a Pre-Professional status who are enrolled in prerequisite courses for admission into an eligible graduate or professional program, may be eligible to borrow up to $5,500 through the Direct Stafford Loan Program and up to $7,000 through the Direct Additional Unsubsidized Stafford Loan (if eligible under this program). Students are limited to one loan for one consecutive 12-month period for these maximum amounts for pre-professional coursework. In addition to the required financial aid application process, students enrolled under a Pre-Professional status must submit a letter from their advisor stating that the coursework is required for admission into a graduate or professional degree program. Repeated courses cannot be included when calculating financial aid.

Resources:  Graduate Assistants, Graduate Teaching Assistants, Graduate Research Assistants, Employer Reimbursement and any other outside award will be considered as a resource and will be taken into account when determining Financial Aid.


The U.S. Department of Education regulations require that educational institutions measure students’ progress toward a declared educational objective, both quantitatively and qualitatively in order to be eligible to receive Federal Title IV aid, which includes Federal Work Study, Federal Perkins Loans, Federal Direct Stafford Loans, and Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans.

Detailed information about academic probation for continuation in a program of study may be found in the Academic Regulations section in the graduate catalog under Standards of Progress at

Requirements:  The measurement of satisfactory academic progress for receipt of federal student aid is broken down into three categories: maximum time frame, PACE and qualitative measure as explained in the following sections.

Maximum Time Frame:  A student may not exceed a maximum number of attempted credits in any program(s), even if aid was not received during all periods of enrollment. The maximum number of credits is 150% of a student’s program(s) required credits. Once a student reaches the maximum amount of credits attempted as specified by the program(s), the student will be ineligible to receive further Title IV aid. Students in this category may submit appeals in accordance with the Appeals section of this policy.

Examples: Program Credits X 1.5= Maximum Attempted Credits (Note: attempted credits include all transfer and advanced standing credits)

Community Counseling- 60 credits X 1.5=90 maximum attempted credits
Educational Administration- 39 credits X 1.5=58.5 maximum attempted credits
Total credit requirements for your major(s) X 1.5= maximum attempted credits

Please note that the maximum time frame measurement always uses a student’s current major(s) credit requirements. Students who experienced a change in major(s) may appeal the maximum time frame restriction, as outlined in the Appeals section of this policy.

PACE:  This measurement ensures that a student is completing their program(s) within the maximum time frame allowed. PACE is calculated by dividing total credits earned by total credits attempted and includes accepted transfer and advanced standing credits in both the numerator and denominator. PACE is measured annually at the conclusion of the spring semester. Graduate Student PACE measurement is 70%.

Examples are listed below:



Credits Attempted

Credits Earned

Cumulative Credits Attempted

Cumulative Credits Competed

Percentage Completed

Meeting Pace

Fall First Year







Spring First Year







First Annual Measurement







Summer After First Year







Fall Second Year







Spring Second Year







Second Annual Measurement







Qualitative Measure:

In addition to the maximum time frame and PACE requirements specified above, all students must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00 in order to demonstrate satisfactory academic progress for receipt of federal aid. The 2.00 cumulative GPA requirements apply to all Federal Student Aid Programs and need-based University of Scranton funds and University of Scranton Work Study Program.

Monitoring Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements:  Both PACE and GPA requirements are measured at the end of each spring semester. In the interim, all students are responsible to monitor their compliance with all satisfactory academic progress requirements for receipt of aid funds. Students not meeting PACE and/or the minimum grade point average for receipt of federal aid must earn the sufficient number of credits and/or meet the minimum cumulative grade point average requirements before having aid reinstated, or have successfully appealed for an exception to the requirements.

Financial Aid Suspension:  In the event a student’s federal and/or University aid is canceled, a formal notice will be sent to the student informing him/her of the action and requirements for reinstatement and procedures for appeal.

Reinstatement of Aid:  Financial aid eligibility may be reinstated when the student has reestablished satisfactory academic standing. It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Financial Aid Office in writing when cumulative GPA requirements have been met and/or PACE deficiencies are corrected.

Once matriculated at The University of Scranton, credits taken at another institution must be approved by the dean of the college in which the student is enrolled. Detailed academic policies about this topic may be found under Academic Regulations  section of the graduate catalog under Transfer of Credits at

Appeals:  If, due to extenuating circumstances, students fail to meet academic progress requirements, they may appeal the termination of their financial aid. Appeals must be made in writing to the Director of Financial Aid and must specify the reason(s) why satisfactory academic progress was not achieved and how the deficiencies can be remediated during any approved probationary period. Documentation of the reason(s) for appeal – letters from physicians, copy of death certificate for family member, etc. must accompany the written request. The Financial Aid Office will consult with the Dean’s Office of the college in which the student is enrolled to obtain a recommendation on the appeal request. An appeal will be granted in cases where the University determines that a student should be able to meet the satisfactory academic progress standard during the subsequent payment period or develops an academic plan for a student that, if followed, will ensure that she or he is able to meet satisfactory academic progress by a specific point in time. The academic plan may specify requirements on the part of a student and designate a time frame to meet the satisfactory academic progress requirements. All final decisions will be communicated by the Financial Aid Office.

Financial Aid Probation:  A student on financial aid probation may receive federal student aid funds for one payment period, which includes summer and special sessions. The institution may require a student on financial aid probation to fulfill specific terms and conditions such as taking a reduced course load, enrolling in specific courses or availing themselves of specified University or private resources. At the end of one payment period on financial aid probation, the student must meet the University’s satisfactory academic progress standards for receipt of financial aid or meet the requirements of the academic plan developed by the Dean’s Office and the student to qualify for further federal student aid funds.

For University of Scranton Grants and Scholarships, students not meeting the required minimum, cumulative grade point average at the end of the spring term will be allowed to retain their aid for one term. If at the conclusion of the term they are still not meeting the required minimum, cumulative grade point average, yet have exceeded the grade point average required of the grant or scholarship, one final term of University assistance will be allowed. These provisions do not apply to continued receipt of federal student aid for students whose cumulative grade point average is not the minimum, cumulative grade point average of 2.00, except in cases where a student successfully appealed and was placed on Financial Aid Probation, or is meeting the requirements defined in an individual academic plan approved by their college’s Dean’s Office.

Drops, Withdrawals and Incomplete Grades:  Credits dropped during the drop refund period of the term as defined on the published academic calendar are not counted as attempted credits. Incomplete courses are counted as attempted credits for the determination of PACE and maximum time frame.

Stop Outs and Re-admitted students:  When a student has a break in enrollment and is readmitted, satisfactory academic progress will be evaluated taking into consideration any transfer and advanced standing credits earned during the break in enrollment and accepted by the University.

Terms, Parts of Term and Summer:  Terms are comprised of all sessions and parts of term within a term. For measurement of satisfactory academic progress, January Intersession will be combined with spring term.

Audited Courses:  Audited Courses are not considered as attempted or earned in the calculation of PACE and maximum time frame.

Repeated Courses:  Repeated courses will be counted each time attempted and will be only counted in earned once. However, if a course which had been passed is repeated and the latter grade is an F, the course will no longer be counted in earned. For more information visit

Multiple Majors/Degrees:  The maximum time frame will be calculated using all required credits to complete multiple majors and all credits attempted and earned will be used in the calculation of PACE.

Change of Major:  The maximum time frame will be calculated using the current major and all credits attempted and earned, including those for prior major(s) will be part of PACE and cumulative grade point average calculations.

Subsequent Degrees:  Measurement of maximum time frame and PACE will be calculated based on the requirements of the subsequent degree.

International Students may apply for Private Educational Alternative Loans to help finance their educational costs. Students must be credit worthy and must also apply with a credit worthy U. S. citizen or a permanent resident who has resided in the U. S. for the previous two years. Information is available at and click on Loans & Financing Options.

ROTC: Recipients of ROTC scholarships are subject to a different policy. Please direct all inquiries concerning this policy to the Financial Aid Office and the Army ROTC Enrollment Officer.

Tuition Policy for Senior Citizens: Persons 60 years of age and older may audit courses at The University of Scranton at no tuition charge, on a space-available basis. Such persons may take courses for credit at 50% tuition. These reductions are applicable only after the person has applied for and receives any form of financial assistance normally available, e.g., state and federal assistance and employer reimbursement. Fees and other costs of courses, e.g., textbooks, are assessed at the normal rate in all cases. Students must be formally admitted into a graduate program of study in order to pursue graduate courses.

Veterans Education Programs: The University of Scranton is partnering with the federal government to help fund the cost of tuition for   military veterans and their eligible dependents by participating in the federal Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program). The University of Scranton has chosen to contribute the maximum 50% funding. When matched by the VA, this contribution, plus the Post 9/11 GI Bill, will fund the full cost of tuition at the University of Scranton. In the event Post 9/11 GI Bill funds are exhausted, it is the student’s responsibility to provide documentation to the Financial Aid Office that their benefits are exhausted.

Veterans and eligible dependents should consult their regional Veterans Administration (VA) counselor to establish their eligibility for veterans’ education benefits or apply online. Information is available on the Veterans Administration website at Once eligibility is established through the VA, students must submit a copy of their Veterans Letter of Eligibility to the Financial Aid Office. (Students need to submit another copy of their Letter of Eligibility only if they elect benefits under a different chapter of the GI Bill at a later date.) In addition, veterans or their dependents must submit a University of Scranton Request for Certification form to the Financial Aid Office prior to each term for which they wish Scranton to certify their enrollment to the VA. This form is available to students through student’s My.Scranton self-service accounts or by contacting the Financial Aid Office at

Graduate Tuition Guarantee Program

In order to provide a basis for personal economic planning for graduate course work and to encourage the completion of graduate degree requirements at The University of Scranton, a graduate student initiating a course of study will be eligible for a guaranteed tuition rate based on the initial academic term (either fall semester, intersession, spring semester, or summer sessions) for a total of three calendar years.

  1. The tuition rate for the initial term of registration will be assessed for subsequent registrations in the University’s next three academic terms.
  2. In order to be eligible for this Graduate Tuition Guarantee in the second 12-month period, the student must maintain and successfully complete a total registration of at least nine graduate credit hours for the initial 12-month period (the four academic terms included in the 12 months commencing with the student’s initial registration term).  Successfully completing at least nine graduate credit hours is interpreted to mean earning a grade of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, S, or IP (In Progress for thesis work) in each of the courses comprising those nine credit hours.
  3. If the student satisfies the requirements for the Graduate Tuition Guarantee for the second 12-month period, then he/she is eligible for a third 12-month period.  As in item #2, in order to be eligible for this Graduate Tuition Guarantee in the third 12-month period, the student must maintain and complete a total registration of at least nine graduate credit hours for the second 12-month period (the four academic terms included in the second 12 months following the student’s initial registration term).
  4. The Graduate Tuition Guarantee will cease at the end of the 36-month period following the initial graduate registration or if the student fails to satisfy the nine-graduate credit-hour registration expectation in the previous designated 12-month period. 
  5. When the Graduate Tuition Guarantee ceases, the tuition rate for that current academic year will become effective.
  6. A student is eligible for the Graduate Tuition Guarantee only at the outset of studies and after the Graduate Tuition Guarantee Agreement has been signed by the student.

This policy does not pertain to HR Online, Health Informatics, MBA Online, Nurse Anesthesia, MHA Online, M.Acc. Online, or Scranton Education Online students.

Voucher Program: As partial recognition for work conducted by field supervisors in various areas (Counseling, Education, Health Administration, Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy), The University of Scranton will award a non-transferable Graduate Tuition Voucher which may be used to pay for campus-based graduate credits taken at The University of Scranton after admittance.

This policy does not pertain to Nurse Anesthesia or Scranton Education online students.


Endowed Scholarships

The Regina B. Inch Bennett ‘93, G’96 Scholarship:  When Regina retired as Assistant Dean in the College of Graduate & Continuing Education in 2012 after more than 30 years of service to the University, Dean W. Jeffrey Welsh, Ph.D., established and raised additional funds to endow this scholarship in her honor.  Awards are given to graduate students enrolled in either campus-based or online graduate programs who hold full-time employment.  The student must be in good academic standing.  If two equally qualified candidates are identified, the candidate with the higher cumulative GPA (and if necessary, greater quality points) will receive the scholarship.

The Professor Dr. Jay Nathan, Ph.D., Scholarship:  Retired university professor Dr. Jay Nathan, a former Senior Fulbright Scholar, endowed this scholarship in 2011 to provide financial assistance to graduate level students in the Kania School of Management from Mongolia, Thailand, India, Poland or central Asian countries.

The Pakistani MBA or MHA Student Fellowship:  Established by longtime University Economics/Finance professor Riaz Hussain, Ph.D., this fellowship provides funds for students beginning their studies in the MBA or MHA program.  The recipient must be a citizen of Pakistan or Bangladesh. 

Annual Scholarships

The Bangladeshi Masters in Health Administration Student Fellowship:  Established by M.R. Chowdhury, M.D., this fellowship provides funds to graduate level students from the country of Bangladesh enrolled in the University’s Masters in Health Administration program.

The Sarah Beth Beynon Memorial Scholarship of the Scranton Area Foundation: This scholarship is awarded by the Scranton Area Foundation to graduate students pursuing studies in cancer research.



In accordance with federal regulations, all students who receive federal financial aid and who completely withdraw from the University during the first 60% of a semester will have their federal financial aid (Pell Grants, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, Teach Grants, Perkins Loans, Stafford Loans and PLUS Loans) adjusted based on the percent of the semester completed prior to the withdrawal. That is, students will be entitled to retain the same percent of the federal financial aid received as the percent of the semester completed. The date of withdrawal will be the date the student begins the withdrawal process in accordance with the official procedures outlined in the catalog. There will be no adjustment to federal financial aid after 60% of the semester is completed. Students who must totally withdraw from school should consult with the Financial Aid Office on how the refund policy applies to their situation. Students should consult the Comprehensive Guide to Financial Aid Programs at for specific information on both state and University of Scranton aid adjustment policies due to complete withdrawals during a term.


For students who began attendance and have not officially withdrawn and fail to earn a passing grade in at least one course offered (ALL “F” GRADES) during an enrollment period will be considered to have withdrawn at the midpoint of semester/module(s) for financial aid purposes. For students who receive all “I” grades, “I’s” indicate postponement of the completion of the courses and are given an extension; students must complete all of the required work before the mid point of the next regular semester. If students do not earn a passing grade in at least one course offered, they will be considered to have withdrawn at the mid point of that semester/module(s) for financial aid purposes. For students who receive all “NG” grades, “NG” will indicate temporary grades. Temporary grades are issue when a faculty member fails to meet the deadline for submission for grade reports. Such temporary grades will be changed to permanent grades when issued by the professor. If students do not earn a passing grade in at least one courses offered, they will be considered to have withdrawn at the midpoint of that semester/module(s) for financial aid purposes. Students should consult the Comprehensive Guide to Financial Aid Programs at for specific information on both state and University of Scranton aid adjustments policies due to complete withdraws during a term.