Apr 23, 2024  
Undergraduate Catalog 2014-2015 
Undergraduate Catalog 2014-2015 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Policies and Regulation

The University’s Academic majors for undergraduates are offered through four schools – the College of Arts and Sciences, the Kania School of Management, the Panuska College of Professional Studies, and the College of Graduate and Continuing Education, which offers programs for adult and non-traditional students. The schools share a common General Education program and offer baccalaureate degrees in 60 fields.

Academic Support Services

Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Memorial Library

Opened in 1992, the holdings of this 80,000-square-foot, five-story building includes 565,916 volumes of books, bound journals and microfilm, and 48,971 full-text online and print journals. The library also has 165,969 full-text electronic books that users can read on smartphones, tablets and computers. The library conducts an extensive information literacy program to orient and instruct students on resources and research techniques.  The facility includes the following special features:

  • group-study rooms and quiet study areas;
  • 24-hour, computer-equipped study spaces, the Pro Deo has a Java City coffee bar; the Reilly Learning Commons has high-end computing equipment, both PC and MAC, a lecture capture room, technical and Writing Center assistance and group study rooms;
  • fifth-floor reading room (Scranton Heritage Room) overlooking the campus and community;
  • University Archives and Special Collections, which houses University historical records, rare books, faculty publications and other special collections; and
  • a Media and EdLab Resources Collection that holds 21,871 non-print items and provides access to 21,000 streaming video programs.

Databases and Online Catalogs

The library offers access to 143 databases via the Internet. For a list of databases, go to “A-Z List of Databases” from the library’s home page, or from the Library tab on the my.scranton.edu page. A proxy server gives authorized users remote access to these databases. A direct borrowing program, Pennsylvania Academic Libraries Consortium Inc. (PALCI) E-Z Borrow, provides access to 72 additional academic library collections. E-Z Borrow’s Rapid participation provides quick document delivery of journal articles. Some required readings for courses are available online through electronic reserves. The library’s digital collections are available at www.scranton.edu/library/digitalcollections.

Library Technology

There are 100 Internet workstations in the library, including 57 machines available 24 hours a day, seven days a week in the Pro Deo and the Reilly Learning Commons. Wireless connection to the Internet is available throughout the building via laptops. Fifteen laptops are available for loan in the building and seven iPads, and four google tablets can be borrowed overnight. Users can consult librarians via text message (570-687-8787), “Ask a Librarian” email, instant messaging or live chat, to communicate with a librarian from the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities (AJCU).

Library Hours

Library hours are posted on campus, on the Internet, and on a recording at (570) 941-7525. It is open 95.5 hours per week, with extended hours during exam periods. The 24-hour spaces, the Pro Deo and Reilly Learning Commons, are accessed by Royal Cards at card swipe after-hour entrances.

For information about the library, its services, and resources, see the Weinberg Memorial Library homepage on the Internet (www.scranton.edu/library) or visit the mobile library site at my.scranton.edu/library.

Academic Advising Centers

College of Arts and Sciences

The CAS Academic Advising Center, located in St. Thomas Hall 213, serves all freshmen in the College of Arts and Sciences. Staffed by professional advisors and by faculty advisors from a wide variety of disciplines, the Academic Advising Center offers a comprehensive program of academic advising throughout the freshman year. Advisors are available to students from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. They provide assistance with orientation, registration, drop-add, general education course selection, declaration and change of major, and assessment of academic performance and goals.

Upon achieving sophomore status, all CAS students with declared majors are assigned a faculty advisor in the department of their major.

College of Graduate and Continuing Education

See College of Graduate and Continuing Education .

Kania School of Management

The KSOM Academic Advising Center, located in Brennan Hall, suite 206, serves all students in the Kania School of Management. Staff advisors are available from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The center provides assistance with orientation, registration, drop-add, general education course selection, declaration and change of major, and assessment of academic performance and goals.

Panuska College of Professional Studies

The PCPS Academic Services & Advising Center, located on the first floor of McGurrin Hall, serves all students in the Panuska College of Professional Studies. Staff are available throughout the year, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., to provide individual assistance with academic advising, registration, assessment of academic performance and career goals. The Advising Center also works closely with other campus resources to provide comprehensive advisement opportunities. Faculty mentors are available to students within their academic departments.

Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence

The Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence (CTLE), located on the fifth floor of the Loyola Science Center, provides academic support for students and opportunities for faculty to enhance teaching and learning.

The CTLE staff works with students to enhance their learning skills in order to meet their academic and future professional goals. The CTLE offers math and reading skill evaluation and enhancement, a writing center to assist students throughout the writing process, and peer tutoring for academic subjects. In addition, students learn how to use instructional technology to enhance learning. Students also receive assistance in developing critical executive function skills such as time management, note taking, organization, etc. by visiting the CTLE. Students with disabilities who are eligible for academic accommodations register with the CTLE in order to receive appropriate services. The CTLE offers opportunities for faculty in the areas of mentoring programs, enhancement of pedagogy, and the use of technology to enrich teaching and learning.

The goal of the CTLE is to encourage and actively support a strong culture of scholarship for a diverse university community. To learn more about the CTLE’s services for students and faculty, visit www.scranton.edu/ctle or call (570) 941-4038.

Office of the Registrar

As part of the Academic Affairs Division, the Office of the Registrar supports the educational mission of the University by connecting students to the faculty, curriculum and classroom via the course scheduling and registration processes. The Registrar also documents and validates the product of this dynamic connection in the form of schedules, rosters, grades, degree audits, transcripts and diplomas.

The Registrar’s office serves students on a daily basis by answering questions, issuing transcripts, certifying enrollment status, and distributing forms and schedules. In addition, students may obtain information about academic policies and procedures, and important dates and deadlines.

The office promulgates the master schedule of courses for each academic year, conducts registration, processes grades, certifies degree eligibility and manages several aspects of commencement.

Course registration for returning students is conducted in April for the subsequent summer and fall, and in November for the subsequent spring and intersession through the University’s my.scranton.edu intranet portal.  Self Service in the my.scranton.edu portal also provides secure links to unofficial academic transcripts, registration options, student class schedules, address information, tuition accounts and financial aid information. Midterm and final grades are also available in Self Service through my.scranton.edu.

Located in St. Thomas Hall 301, the Office of the Registrar is open Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; Thursday, 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. For more information, call (570) 941-7721 or e-mail registrar@scranton.edu. Additional information and resources (including the academic calendar, course schedules, registration information and student grade point average calculator) are available online at www.scranton.edu/registrar.

Academic Policies and Regulations

Academic Code of Honesty

Students have responsibility for governing their own conduct in compliance with the Academic Code of Honesty, which addresses behavioral integrity in the academic work of the University. Conduct that violates the Code includes plagiarism, duplicate submission of the same work, collusion, providing false information, unauthorized use of computers, theft and destruction of property, and unauthorized possession of tests and other materials. Steps taken in response to suspected violations may include a discussion with the instructor, an informal meeting with the dean of the college and a hearing before the Academic Dishonesty Hearing Board. Students who are found to have violated the Code will ordinarily be assigned the grade F by the instructor and may face other sanctions. The complete Academic Code of Honesty is available in the deans’ offices, in the Student Handbook and on the web at.www.scranton.edu/studenthandbook.

General Regulations

Ordinarily, all entering students – both freshmen and transfer students – are held to the requirements in the catalog of the year in which they enter.

The University reserves the right to change any of the policies, rules, and regulations in this catalog. All such changes are effective at such times as the proper authorities determine and may apply not only to prospective students but also to those who are already matriculated in the University. Curricular changes, however, shall not become effective until published in the catalog unless specifically approved for an earlier implementation date by the appropriate entity.  If a change is approved for implementation prior to its publication in a catalog, the appropriate school, academic department, or program shall inform all students affected by the change. Students can appeal issues related to the application of policies, rules, and requirements, including changes thereto, to the dean of their college.

The University reserves the right to take appropriate disciplinary action in the case of any student who conducts himself or herself in a manner that is contrary to the standards of the University. These standards (particularly in the area of academic integrity) are given clear expression in the University’s Academic Code of Honesty published in the faculty and student handbooks of the University. The University also reserves the right to modify admissions requirements, to change tuition and fee charges, and to change the schedule of courses.

Degree Requirements

All students beginning the first term of their undergraduate degree/certificate program (matriculating) at The University of Scranton in the 2014-15 academic year are thereafter governed by the curricular policies stated in this catalog. Requirements for majors are those in effect when a major is formally declared and approved. First-year students admitted in 2014-15 will follow the general education requirements of this catalog unless a change is subsequently promulgated.

A degree represents the successful completion of the entire undergraduate curriculum, including general education requirements, cognates, basic skills courses and electives, as well as major requirements. Students graduating with multiple majors receive a single degree and diploma.

In order to earn a bachelor’s degree from The University of Scranton students must:

  • earn a minimum of 120 credits, the total number to be determined by the student’s major;
  • complete all the courses prescribed in the curriculum table of the major;
  • complete at least 63 credits at The University of Scranton, including the last 30 credits of their degree program;
  • earn a minimum 2.00 overall grade point average; and
  • remove all failures in required courses. (See “Graduation Procedures and Commencement” for additional information.)

In cases where students do not maintain a 2.00 grade point average in required courses, their respective dean may take one of the following actions:

  • place the student in a goal attainment semester for students determined to raise the grade point average and remain in the major;
  • place the student in an exploratory semester for students wanting to explore possible new majors; or
  • grant permission to change to a new major if the department of the new major approves the requested change.

In all cases, students must either meet the standard in the original major or change to a new major within two semesters (in the case of part-time students, within 30 credits). Students who remain in the “Goal Attainment” and/or “Exploratory” semester programs for more than two semesters will be subject to dismissal by their dean.

The Provost Wellness Initiative

The Provost Wellness Initiative promotes the Jesuit ideals of cura personalis, care for the total person, and the magis, a desire for excellence out of gratitude for the gifts each of us have received.  Our vision is: To create and sustain a vibrant community of students engaged in healthy lifestyles that ensure their occupational, physical, emotional, social, intellectual and spiritual well-being. 

Participation in the Provost Wellness Initiative is an expected part of progress toward graduation for all undergraduate students.  Students will complete wellness requirements through the Ignatian Seminar (the First Year Seminar ), Passport/TAPESTRY  programs and various other programs as part of the student’s University experience.  As such, this initiative is a collaboration of several areas within Academic Affairs and Student Affairs, including The Center for Health Education and Wellness (CHEW), Exercise Science and Sport Department, Recreational Sports, Residence Life, Mission and Ministries, The Counseling Center, and the Deans of the College of Arts and Science (CAS), Kania School of Management (KSOM), Panuska College of Professional Studies (PCPS), and the Library.  The integration and mutual support of the various elements of the initiative are overseen by a committee which reports to the Provost.  The committee is composed of representatives of all the University areas involved.   

The Provost Wellness Initiative provides a framework to develop strategies that enable collaborative efforts that promote Healthy Campus 2020 national health objectives for students. In doing so, our mission is: To form the synergy that binds the University’s health, wellness and academic resources to promote health awareness and education, motivate positive behavior changes, and influence campus practices and policy to support a healthy environment and student experience. 

Number of Hours in a Semester and Special Terms

The University of Scranton constructs its academic calendar in compliance with the minimum standards for class meeting time established by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Education, as well as the U.S. Department of Education.

The current Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Education guidelines establish that a credit hour shall consist of 14 hours of classroom instruction per semester or term, exclusive of registration, final examinations and holidays. For alternative instructional and delivery modes such as laboratory instruction, independent study, readers, thesis, clinical and practicum experience, telecommunication and Web instruction, and special off-campus initiatives, a credit hour shall represent an instructional unit equivalent to a minimum of 14 hours of classroom instruction, exclusive of registration, final examinations and holidays.

A semester shall consist of 14 weeks of instruction exclusive of registration, final examinations, breaks and holidays. A special or compressed term shall meet a number of hours per credit equivalent to a semester but in a compressed or extended timeframe, as determined by the Registrar in consultation with the Provost.

Communication of Information: Statement on the Expected Student Use of The University of Scranton E-mail Account

When students are admitted to The University of Scranton, a University e-mail account is created for them. All electronic communication from the University is directed exclusively to the University’s electronic mailbox. Students are expected to access their University e-mail account on a weekly basis; however, daily access is recommended to stay abreast of important, time-sensitive information. University departments and faculty routinely will use email to communicate important campus, academic program and course information.

Information on how to access the network and e-mail is regularly distributed to new students by the Information Resources Department. For more information on how to access your University of Scranton e-mail account, visit the Information Resources Web site at http://www.scranton.edu/pir. If you encounter problems accessing your e-mail, contact the Technology Support Center at (570) 941-4357 or techsupport@scranton.edu.

Course Numbering System

Courses appearing in this catalog are numbered according to the system described below. The first digit of any course number indicates the level of the course; the second and third digits specify categories of courses. Levels at which courses are offered include the following:

100-199 Introductory courses
200-299 Lower division courses
300-399 Upper division courses
400-499 Advanced undergraduate courses
500 and above Graduate courses

In cases where no specific prerequisite is listed in the course description, courses at the 300 or 400 level assume junior or senior standing and appropriate background in the discipline of the course.

Categories in which courses are offered are indicated according to the following system:

__00 – __79 Courses available for general education, majors, minors,
concentrations and cognate. Refer to course descriptions
and specific program requirements for details.
__80 – __81 Practicum, Internship or Co-op courses
__82 – __83 Independent study
__84 Special topics
__85 – __89 Honors courses
__90 – __92 Seminars
__93 – __94 Research
__95 – __96 Travel courses
__498 – __499 Thesis

Labs are indicated by an (L) following the number of the corresponding lecture courses. Courses in the Special Jesuit Liberal Arts Program are indicated by a (J) following the course number; those in the Honors Program are indicated by an (H) following the course number; first-year seminars are indicated by an X following the course number.

Course Schedule Changes

Dropping and Adding Courses

Students may add courses anytime between the initial registration period and the fifth class-day from the start of a fall or spring semester or the second class day of intersession and summer terms. Students who wish to drop one or more courses, but who plan to continue attendance in at least one other course during the term, need to secure their dean’s permission. A dropped course is not reflected on a student’s transcript. The last day to drop a course is usually the thirty-first calendar day of a semester and the fourth calendar day of intersession and summer terms; specific dates are published in the official University academic calendar. A refund schedule for dropped courses applies to students paying on a per-credit basis or completely withdrawing from the University. Under this schedule, the last day for 100% tuition refund is usually the tenth calendar day from the first day of classes for a semester and the second calendar day from the first day of classes for shorter terms; the refund schedule dates are published in the University’s academic calendar.

Withdrawal from a Course

After the period to drop a course without having it reflected on the transcript, students may still withdraw from a course until the published deadline and receive a W grade on their transcript. In all cases, students should first discuss the matter with the course instructor.

Students who wish to withdraw from one or more courses, but who plan to continue to attend at least one course for the term, need to have a Schedule Change Form signed by their instructor and dean. Students who wish to withdraw from their last course(s) must submit the Complete Withdrawal/Leave of Absence Form. In either case, the forms are available through the Registrar’s Office, the academic advising centers, academic department chairpersons’ offices, and the College of Graduate and Continuing Education. The completed forms must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office or, in the case of adult undergraduate students, to the College of Graduate and Continuing Education by the withdrawal deadline as indicated in The University academic calendar. This deadline is approximately 30 days before the last class day for the semester and a proportionate period of time for a short session. Failure to withdraw officially from a course will result in a failing grade.

Courses Taken as Readers and Independent Studies

The purpose of reader and independent study courses is to enable University of Scranton students in good academic and disciplinary standing to pursue a course of study that meets one of the following descriptions.

Readers are study experiences that replicate courses listed in the catalog and are offered to one or, less frequently, two students. These offerings are limited to meeting acute student programmatic need, as identified and accepted by the dean, and are not meant to be offered routinely. These courses are designated with the actual course number appearing in the undergraduate catalog.

Independent Studies, experiences provided to academically successful students, are specially designed learning experiences and are not offered in the normal course listing. These experiences may be non-honors courses that, like honors tutorials, are based on a set of readings, discussions, and writing assignments; they may be based on experimental work; or they may involve intensive research activity. These specially designed courses are designated with numbers ending in _82 or _83.

Readers and independent studies may not ordinarily be used to fulfill general education requirements. Students may take no more than one reader or independent study per term and no more than one reader or independent study per year, on average, during the course of their degree programs. Readers and independent studies are to be taken for the same number of credits as are granted similar courses in the discipline in which the reader or independent study is offered. Readers and independent studies may not ordinarily be used to repeat failed courses. Readers and independent studies intended for the major, minor, and cognate are graded under the normal grading mode (A, A-, B+, etc.) unless excepted by the student’s dean; other readers and independent studies usually are graded under the Credit/No Credit grading mode (“CS: Credit Satisfactory” for grades equivalent to C or higher; “CD: Credit Deficiency” for grades equivalent to C-, D+, and D; “NC: No Credit” for grades equivalent to F). Exceptions to these policies must be approved by the dean of the student’s college and by the dean of the school offering the course. The completed Reader and Independent Study forms should be submitted to the Registrar’s Office or the College of Graduate and Continuing Education by the last day to add courses as published in the University academic calendar. A fee of $60 per credit in addition to the normal tuition will be charged. Readers and independent studies are not available to visiting students.

Faculty conducting independent study courses will provide the dean’s office with a copy of the syllabus, reading lists, and examinations used in the independent study. Normally, faculty are limited to mentoring no more than two students per semester in any combination of readers, independent studies, and honors tutorials. Exceptions to this limitation can be made by the Dean for programmatic reasons or in response to course cancellations.

Enrollment Status and Attendance Policy

To be considered a full-time student, undergraduate students must be registered for at least 12 credits in any given term or semester, regardless of the number of credits remaining to complete degree requirements.

Students are expected to attend all scheduled meetings of courses in which they are enrolled. Students are responsible for all material presented and announcements made during any class. Attendance policies for individual courses are determined by the instructor and must be promulgated in writing in the course syllabus.

Final Examination Conflicts

When a student has three or more examinations scheduled on the same day, according to the examination schedule issued by the Registrar’s Office, the student can decide whether to take all three examinations on the same day or to have one rescheduled. If the student wishes to have one of the three examinations rescheduled, the examination with the lowest priority will be rescheduled. Order of priority: (1) major course, (2) cognate course, (3) elective course.

Where a conflict exists between two courses of the same kind (e.g., two cognates or two electives), the more senior professor – in terms of years of service at The University of Scranton – will have first priority.

If a student wishes to reschedule a conflict examination, he/she must advise the faculty member prior to the last week of class. If an appropriate resolution cannot be reached between the student and the faculty member, the student should contact his/her dean.

Grading System

Final grades are determined by faculty for all registered students at the completion of each fall and spring semester, as well as interim terms, according to the grading scheme defined in this section. Final grades are submitted by faculty through the authorized grading system designated by the Registrar’s Office and are recorded on the permanent transcript of academic record for each student. Grades are available to each student through their confidential Self Service account accessed through the my.scranton portal, after the grade submission deadline published in the academic calendar. Students may also grant and rescind third-party access to parents, spouse or others through their Self Service accounts.

In addition, freshmen receive mid-semester grades at the mid-point of each fall and spring semester to provide feedback about their performance in their current courses to that point in time. Sophomores, juniors, and seniors receive mid-semester grades only if their performance is deficient (grade of C- or less) to that point in time. Mid-semester grades enable students to gauge if remedial or other actions, such as course withdrawal, are warranted. Mid-semester grades are temporary indications of performance and are not recorded on students’ academic transcripts.

Primary Grades

A, A- Excellent (outstanding and/or original work)
B+, B, B- Good
C+, C Satisfactory
C-, D+, D Passing, but well below average
F Failure (below minimum acceptable standards)

Additional Grading Codes

W Withdrew officially; deadline is one month before the last day
of classes for the semester
I Incomplete – notes a course not completed due to illness or other
serious reason; to remove this grade students must satisfy all
course requirements by mid-point of the following semester
or the grade will be converted to an F
IP In Progress – must be removed by the last day of the following semester
(normally for honors and thesis courses only)
S Satisfactory – not calculated in grade point average (GPA)
U Unsatisfactory – equivalent to failure; not calculated in GPA
AU Audited course not taken for credit; does not count toward
degree requirements or in the GPA
CR Credit by Exam
CS “Credit Satisfactory” – notes a course taken under the “credit/no credit” option
in which a grade of “C” or higher is earned; counts in hours earned
toward degree but not in GPA
CD “Credit Deficiency” – notes a course taken under the “credit/no credit” option
in which a passing grade less than C (C-, D+, D) is earned;
counts in hours earned toward degree but not in GPA
NC “No Credit” – notes a course taken under the “credit/no credit” option
in which a passing grade is not earned; does not count toward hours
earned toward degree and does not count in GPA
NG No grade assigned; converts to F if not resolved by midpoint of following semester
TC Transfer credit – counts in hours earned toward degree but not in GPA


Entry of the audit grade (AU) on a transcript assumes satisfactory attendance. The student should consult with the instructor as to what constitutes satisfactory attendance. A change to audit can be made only by passing students and before the end of the first half of a semester.

Repeat of Course

Special permission is not needed to repeat courses at The University of Scranton. Recording of grades for repeated courses shall be governed by the following conditions: (1) credit for a course will be granted only once; (2) credit for the course will be lost if the course is repeated and failed; (3) the most recent credit and grade will count toward the grade point average with the exceptions that a W, I, IP, AU or NG grade cannot replace another grade; (4) each attempt to complete a course will be reported on the student’s transcript even though the credits of the earlier attempts do not count in the cumulative grade point average (e.g., a course with a grade of F will continue to appear on the transcript even after the course has been repeated with a passing grade, although the credits from the initial failed attempt will not be used in the calculation of the cumulative GPA).

The earlier attempt or attempts (with the exception of W, I, IP, AU or NG) will be denoted on the transcript by an “E,” meaning that the course grade has been “Excluded” from the earned hours and GPA calculations. The latest attempt (with the exception of W, I, IP, AU or NG) will be denoted on the transcript by an “I,” meaning that the course grade has been “Included” in the earned hours and GPA calculations.

Change of Grade

A student who believes the grade received for a course is unreasonable should first appeal the matter to the professor, whose decision is normally final. The student has the right, however, to appeal to the faculty member’s chairperson, who will make a recommendation in writing to his or her dean. The student may request the dean to review the matter. The decision of the dean is final. Ordinarily, no grade change will be considered unless it has been reviewed by the dean’s office within one month from the time the original grade was available to the student.

Grade Point Average (GPA)

A standard used in judging a student’s performance is the grade point average (GPA). The value of each semester hour of credit earned is determined as follows: a grade of A is valued at 4 quality points; A- at 3.67 quality points; B+ at 3.33; B at 3.00; B- at 2.67; C+ at 2.33; C at 2.00; C- at 1.67; D+ at 1.33; D at 1.00. An F yields no quality points. Thus, for example, a 3-credit course with a grade of A yields 12 quality points; a B yields 9; a C yields 6.

The GPA is computed by dividing the total number of quality points earned by the total of grade point average credit hours. For example, 15 GPA credit hours, all at C grade, would earn 30 Quality Points or a 2.00 GPA (30/15).

The total number of grade point average credit hours includes those courses with final grades of F as well as A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+. C, C-, D+ and D. The grade designations of AU, CD, CR, CS, I, IP, NC, NG, S, W, TC and U do not count toward the GPA. This grade point average applies only to courses taken at The University of Scranton. Grades from other institutions are not computed into students’ grade point average with the exception of those earned at Marywood University through The University of Scranton/Marywood University cross-registration agreement.

A grade point average listing is made at the end of each semester. On the basis of his or her cumulative grade point average, a student’s rank in class and eligibility for Latin honors at graduation are determined. See “Graduation Honors.”

Grades with Distinction

Dean’s List

To be eligible for the Dean’s List, full-time students must earn 12 or more credit hours that count toward the semester GPA (credit hours of AU, CS, CD, CR, I, IP, NC, NG, S, TC, U and W grades are not counted toward this requirement). Part-time students (students registered for fewer than 12 credits) must earn at least 6 credit hours that count toward the semester GPA to be eligible for the Dean’s List. Of the eligible students, those who earn a 3.50 or higher semester GPA and no grade of D+, D, F, CD, NC, I, NG or U are named to the Dean’s List for that semester. (Note: Honors Program IP grades do not prevent eligibility for Dean’s List.) Students placed on the Dean’s List will have this distinction indicated on their transcripts. A student’s GPA will be recalculated when the last temporary grade (I, NG) is replaced by a final grade. If this new GPA meets the above standard, the student will be placed on the Dean’s List. Dean’s List designations apply to fall and spring semesters only.

Grade Option: “Credit/No Credit”

The “credit/no credit” option is designed to encourage students to take courses of interest but outside their concentrated areas of study. Courses used to fill free elective and free cognate requirements are eligible to be taken with this option. Courses taken under the “credit/no credit” option count toward the accumulated credit hours for the degree, but they are not included in the grade point average calculation.

Students with a cumulative GPA of 2.67 or greater who have accumulated at least 60 credits toward their degree may elect to take some courses on a “credit/no credit” basis. Students may apply for the “credit/no credit” option by seeking approval from their dean’s office and filing the completed forms with the registrar by the end of the second week of the semester (or by the second day of summer sessions and intersession). The option cannot be reversed after the fourth week of class (or the fourth day of summer sessions and intersession). Courses used to fulfill general education requirements, courses in the major and cognate, as well as courses in a minor or concentration, and those used to fulfill requirements in the Honors, SJLA and Business Leadership programs may not be taken under the “credit/no credit” option. Students may take no more than a total of four courses under this option, and no more than one per semester (other than internships, practicums, or physical education courses). Students receive the following transcript notations under the “credit/no credit” option: A grade of C or higher yields a CS (credit satisfactory) notation; a passing grade less than C (C-, D, D+) yields a CD (credit deficiency) notation; a grade less than passing (F) yields an NC (no credit) notation.

Grade Difficulties: Academic Probation and Dismissal

One semester of academic probation is normally granted to a student whose GPA falls below 2.00, or who otherwise is in danger of dismissal.  A student’s dean may dismiss a student without granting probation when the student’s performance is so poor that academic probation would not be in his or her best interest.  Students who receive an F while on probation are also subject to dismissal, as are students who incur two F’s in one semester, or who accumulate three F’s that have not been successfully retaken. Probationary status may be removed through adequate achievement in summer school or intersession at The University of Scranton.

The student’s dean has the option to stipulate the maximum number of credits for which a student may register during the semester while on probation, and this may be less than the maximum of 18 credits which apply under normal conditions. Students on academic probation are ineligible for participation in extra-curricular activities without the written approval of their moderator, academic advisor and dean.

Students placed on academic probation for a second semester may not participate in any extracurricular activity until such time as they are formally removed from academic probation.

University policy prohibits students dismissed from another institution or a college of the University from registering for courses in any of the colleges of the University in the semester following dismissal.

Graduation Procedures and Commencement

The University of Scranton provides the opportunity for students who have completed degree requirements to graduate at one of four points throughout the academic year: summer graduation (graduation date: August 31), fall graduation (graduation date: December 31), intersession graduation (graduation date: January 31), or spring graduation (graduation date coincides with the annual Commencement exercise). Commencement exercises are held once each academic year at the conclusion of the spring semester; the date is published in the official University academic calendar. Normally students who are certified to graduate in the summer, fall, intersession or spring may participate in Commencement.

Certification of graduation, receipt of a degree, and permission to participate in Commencement are not automatic. Seniors expecting to complete degree requirements in time for spring graduation must make formal application online at http://www.scranton.edu/academics/registrar/graduate/undergrad-degree-app.shtml by February 15. Students who are expecting to complete degree requirements for summer, fall or intersession graduation must make formal application a minimum of four weeks prior to the end of the appropriate term.

Walker Policy

Undergraduates who are within 6 academic credits of fulfilling all graduation requirements and are in good academic and disciplinary standing may request to “walk” at Commencement in the spring. They must present to their dean a plan to complete their remaining credits at The University of Scranton during the summer or fall sessions and receive the dean’s approval. Students may not participate in a second commencement upon completion of all degree requirements.

Graduation Honors

To be eligible for graduation and for Latin honors at Commencement, a baccalaureate degree student must have completed a minimum of 63 credit hours of course work at The University of Scranton. Note: Latin honors are based upon a student’s final undergraduate cumulative GPA at the completion of the baccalaureate degree program.

  • Summa cum laude: 3.85 cumulative GPA with a minimum of 45 credits counting in the GPA
  • Magna cum laude: 3.65 cumulative GPA with a minimum of 45 credits counting in the GPA
  • Cum laude: 3.50 cumulative GPA with a minimum of 45 credits counting in the GPA

Interruptions in Attendance: Leaves of Absence and Complete Withdrawal

Leave of Absence

Students may request their dean’s approval for a leave of absence by completing and submitting the Complete Withdrawal/Leave of Absence Form available from the Registrar’s Office, academic advising centers, academic department chairperson offices, and the College of Graduate and Continuing Education. Graduation requirements in effect for students at the time their approved leave begins will remain in effect when they return from their leave under the following conditions:

  • They are in good academic and disciplinary standing at The University when their leave begins.
  • They may not take courses at another institution without first securing written approval from their dean.
  • Their leave is limited to one semester but may be renewed for one additional semester with the written permission of their dean.
  • They place their addresses and phone numbers on file in the Registrar’s Office (or, for CGCE students, the College of Graduate and Continuing Education) and promptly report any address/phone number changes to that office.
  • They understand that this policy does not bind The University to offer their curricula or major programs, which may have been discontinued or substantially altered during their leave of absence.

Students who interrupt their education without an approved leave of absence must apply for readmission and will be subject to the catalog requirements in effect at the time of readmission. Students on an approved leave of absence must apply for readmission but retain the same requirements they had when they matriculated if their leaves do not extend beyond a year.

Military Leave Policy

If a student is called or volunteers for active military duty while attending The University of Scranton, the University will do its best to protect the academic and financial interest of the student within the norms of good academic judgment. The student must meet with the dean of his/her college and provide proof of being called to active duty. The dean, after conferring with the director of financial aid, the treasurer, the student’s current faculty, and the student, will decide the course of action. The dean will then process the necessary paperwork and place the student on military leave status. If the student does not concur with the dean’s decision, the student may appeal to the provost/vice president for academic affairs. The student is responsible for all room and board and related expenses incurred. Deans must confer with the Financial Aid and Treasurer’s Offices before making decisions regarding refunds.

Complete Withdrawal from the University

Students wishing to drop or withdraw from all of their courses, thereby discontinuing their enrollment, must secure their dean’s permission to withdraw from The University. Students should also discuss any questions with their advisor or department chairperson. The form for withdrawal may be obtained in the Registrar’s Office, the academic advising centers, academic department chairpersons’ offices, or the College of Graduate and Continuing Education. University withdrawal is not official until all signatures required on the Complete Withdrawal/Leave of Absence Form have been obtained and the form is submitted to the Registrar’s Office or, in the case of CGCE students, to the College of Graduate and Continuing Education.

Any tuition refund will be determined by the official date of University withdrawal. No grades for the term will be recorded on the student’s academic record if the official University withdrawal date is on or before the last day for 25% tuition refund or the last day to drop courses according to the official University academic calendar. Grades of W will be recorded for course work if the official University withdrawal date coincides with the course withdrawal period. Final grades will be recorded for course work if the official withdrawal date is after the course withdrawal period for the term.

Readmission to the University

A student who fails to enroll for a semester without an approved leave of absence must apply for readmission to The University and, if accepted, will need to satisfy the catalog requirements in effect at the time of readmission. Students on an approved leave of absence must apply for readmission but retain the same requirements they had when they matriculated if their leaves do not extend beyond a year.

University policy prohibits students dismissed from another institution or a college of the University from registering for courses in any of the colleges of the University in the semester following dismissal.

A student must apply for readmission to the University through the college in which the intended program of study is housed. The dean of that college (i.e., the readmitting dean) will confer with the student’s dean of last attendance at the University, if different from the readmitting dean, to review the student’s eligibility status for readmission to the University, and/or review a transcript and the student’s file in the Registrar’s Office or the College of Graduate and Continuing Education. The readmitting dean may confer with Student Affairs about any disciplinary or mental health issues that might preclude readmission, and if the student was on medical leave, may also require documentation from the health-care provider that the student may now resume their studies.

If the student is requesting readmission into a program other than the one of her/his last attendance, the readmitting dean will confer with the department chair or director of the program to which the student is requesting readmission, when there are program-specific admission requirements. If the student attended another college or university subsequent to her/his last attendance at the University, the student must submit an official transcript from that institution to the readmitting dean before that dean will render a decision on readmission.

The dean will render a decision and inform the student and Registrar’s Office. If the dean renders a decision to readmit the student, that official transcript will then be forwarded to the Registrar’s Office or the College of Graduate and Continuing Education for analysis/determination of transfer credit acceptable toward the intended program of study. Pre-permission to take courses elsewhere is valid only if the student continues in the same program, and if there have been no significant curricular changes mandated by relevant certification bodies in the interim that would affect the transfer credit. Transfer courses would need to be reevaluated upon readmission if the student switches programs.

Academic Renewal Policy Upon Readmission

Students who have not attended the University for at least five calendar years may request academic renewal. At the time of readmission, students seeking academic renewal must complete an academic renewal form and may petition their Dean to have up to 16 credit hours of deficient grades removed from their grade point averages (GPA). The deficient courses and their grades will remain on the transcript; they will, however, be excluded from the GPA and earned hours and will not count toward graduation requirements. The courses with excluded grades on the transcript will be designated with an E, and the transcript key will explain that E means the course grade has been excluded from the GPA and earned hours, yielding an amended GPA. A comment also will be added to the transcript indicating that the student received academic renewal and the date.

Transferring Credits from Other Institutions Once Matriculating at The University of Scranton

Matriculating students in good academic and disciplinary standing at The University of Scranton can transfer in a maximum of 10% of the total credits in their program. Transfer students from another institution will be limited to a maximum of 10% of the total credits remaining in their program from the initial point of University of Scranton matriculation. All students must complete at least 63 credits at The University of Scranton, including the last 30 credits.

University of Scranton students who have completed their sophomore year (60 credits) are permitted to take courses at other four-year, regionally accredited institutions. Those who have not completed their sophomore year may be approved for courses at two-year or four-year regionally accredited institutions. Grades below C (2.00 in a 4.00 grading system) received elsewhere are not transferable to The University of Scranton; no grades from other institutions are computed into the student’s grade point average, with the exception of those taken through the University of Scranton/Marywood University cross-registration agreement. Transfer credit will be awarded only upon receipt of an official transcript from the transfer institution.

Students must secure the permission of their dean to take courses at another institution. Students may not ordinarily take a course at another institution if they have failed the same course at The University of Scranton; however, exceptions to this policy can be made by the student’s dean. Students may get credit for a course only once, regardless of where completed, toward degree requirements, with the exception of some special topics courses if approved.

Online Courses

Many courses at the University require that students have access to a computer and the Internet for assignments, research, discussion groups, etc. The University provides each student with an account number and there are computer labs on campus for student use.

In addition, a number of faculty are using Desire2Learn, the standard University online courseware tool, to support or to teach an entire course. Desire2Learn enables an instructor to supplement a course with online materials and activities, or to deliver a course solely online. Desire2Learn contains modules for announcements, course documents, online tests/quizzes, discussion board, chat and assignments.

When Desire2Learn is used to deliver courses solely online the class documents are posted on the web and the students are responsible for submitting the assignments using the provided tools in Desire2Learn. There are virtual office hours via the chat room when the instructor can communicate with one or several students simultaneously.

To find out more about Desire2Learn, the computer equipment you need, and what you need to know before taking an online course, visit The University’s Desire2Learn web page located at http://desire2learn.scranton.edu/d21/home.

Student Rights and Confidentiality of Information

The University of Scranton recognizes the privacy rights of individuals who are or who have been students, as guaranteed by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974. No information from educational records, files, or other data directly related to a student shall be disclosed to individuals or agencies outside The University without the express written consent of the student. Except where prescribed by law, information regarding a student’s education record may not be disclosed to a parent, guardian or spouse without the student’s written authorization on file in the Office of the Registrar or in the College of Graduate and Continuing Education, or unless the student has granted access to specific information to specific persons through the online Third Party Authorization Form in their Self Service account in the www.scranton.edu portal.

FERPA does authorize the University to disclose information without consent to school officials with legitimate educational interests.  Legitimate education interest means that the official has a need to know in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities on behalf of the University. Examples of people having legitimate education interest depending on their official duties and within the context of those duties include: persons or companies with whom The University has contracted, such as attorneys, auditors, collection agents, consultants and other parties to whom the school has outsourced institutional functions or services; students serving on official committees, such as disciplinary or grievance committees or assisting school officials in performing their tasks; persons or organizations to whom students have applied for financial aid; persons in compliance with a lawful subpoena or court order; and persons in an emergency in order to protect the health or safety of students or other persons. In January 2012, the U.S. Department of Education’s FERPA regulations expanded the circumstances of release to federal, state and local authorities to evaluate federal- or state- supported education programs, to researchers performing certain types of studies, and to state authorities in connection with Statewide Longitudinal Data Systems.

The University considers the following to be public information that may be made available, at its discretion, without prior consent of the student:

  • Name
  • Former name(s)
  • Address (local and permanent)
  • Telephone number (campus/local and permanent)
  • Date and place of birth
  • Photograph
  • Major field of study
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  • E-mail address
  • Dates of attendance
  • Enrollment status
  • Campus employment
  • Class level
  • Expected/actual date of graduation
  • Degrees, awards, academic honors
  • Weight and height of members of athletic teams

Students who wish to prevent the public disclosure of any or all the above information may complete and submit a request to the Office of Student Affairs, Registrar’s Office or the College of Graduate and Continuing Education (graduate and adult undergraduate students). Request forms are available from any of the preceding offices.

A directory of names, addresses and telephone numbers of students is promulgated by The University at the beginning of the fall semester. Students who do not wish to be listed in the campus directory must notify the University by the end of the first week of classes in the fall semester.

FERPA affords students the right to inspect and review their educational records within 45 days of the day The University receives such requests. Students should submit to the Registrar or other appropriate official written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. University officials will make arrangements for access and notify requesting students of the time and place where their records may be inspected.

Students have the right to request the amendment of any educational records that they believe are inaccurate or misleading. They should write to the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record that they want changed, and specify why they believe it is inaccurate or misleading. If The University decides not to amend the records as requested, The University will notify students of the decision and advise them of their right to appeal the decision and the process that must be undertaken to do so.

For more information regarding FERPA, please contact the Office of the Registrar, Room 301, St. Thomas Hall. Students have the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by The University of Scranton to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is: Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue SW, Washington, DC 20202-5920.

In addition, The University of Scranton complies with the Student Right-to-Know Act by providing graduation rate information to current and prospective students upon request. Graduation rate information may be obtained by contacting the Registrar’s Office or the Office of Admissions.

Degree Programs

The University offers the following degree programs for the undergraduate student. Consult departmental listings for details.


Bachelor of Arts

Classical Studies, BA 
Communication, BA 
English, BA 
French and Francophone Cultural Studies, BA (visit World Language and Cultures Majors, BA )
German Cultural Studies, BA (visit World Language and Cultures Majors, BA )
Hispanic Studies, BA (visit World Language and Cultures Majors, BA )
History, BA 
Individualized Major 
International Language-Business, BA 
Journalism & Electronic Media, BA 
Latin American Studies, BA 
Mathematics, BA 
Philosophy, BA 
Strategic Communication, BA 
Theatre, BA 
Theology/Religious Studies, BA 
Women’s Studies, BA  

Bachelor of Science

Accounting, BS 
Applied Mathematics, BS 
Biochemistry, BS 
Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology, BS 
Biology, BS 
Biomathematics, BS 
Biophysics, BS 
Business Administration, BS 
Chemistry, BS 
Chemistry-Business, BS 
Chemistry-Computers, BS 
Community Health Education, BS 
Computer Engineering, BS 
Computer Information Systems, BS 
Computer Science, BS 
Counseling and Human Services, BS 
Criminal Justice, BS 
Economics, BS (CAS) 
Economics, BS (KSOM) 
Education, Early and Primary Teacher, BS 
Education, Middle Level Teacher, BS 
Education, Secondary, BS 
Electrical Engineering, BS 
Electronic Commerce, BS 
Engineering Management, BS 
Entrepreneurship, BS 
Environmental Science, BS 
Exercise Science, BS 
Finance, BS 
Forensic Chemistry, BS 
Health Administration, BS 
Human Resources Studies, BS 
Individualized Major 
International Business, BS 
International Studies, BS 
Liberal Studies, BS *
Management, BS 
Marketing, BS 
Mathematics, B.S. 
Media and Information Technology, BS 
Medical Technology, BS 
Neuroscience, BS 
Nursing, BSN 
Occupational Therapy 
Operations Management, BS 
Physics, BS 
Political Science, BS 
Psychology, BS 
Sociology, BS  

Associate in Arts*

Associate in Science*

Business, AS 
Computer Engineering, AS 
Computer Information Systems, AS 
Counseling and Human Services, AS 
Criminal Justice, AS 
Electrical Engineering, AS 
Health Administration, AS 
Human Resources Studies, AS 
Sociology, AS  


Minors, which require a minimum of 15 hours, are currently available in the following fields. Courses counted toward a major may not be counted toward the first 15 credits of a minor. However, courses counted toward a cognate or general education courses may be used to fulfill minor requirements.

Accounting Minor 
Accounting Information Systems Minor 
Art History Minor 
Biochemistry Minor 
Biology Minor 
Business Leadership Honors Program Minor 
Chemistry Minor 
Coaching Minor 
Communication Minor 
Computer Information Systems Minor 
Computer Science Minor 
Counseling and Human Services Minor 
Criminal Justice Minor 
Criminology Minor 
Economics Minor (CAS) 
Economics Minor (KSOM) 
Educational Studies Minor 
Electronic Commerce Minor 
English Minor 
Entrepreneurship Minor 
Finance Minor 
General Business Minor 
Health Administration Minor 
History Minor 
Human Resources Studies Minor 
International Studies Minor 
Leadership Minor 
Management Minor 
Mathematics Minor 
Media and Information Technology Minor 
Music History Minor 
Operations Management Minor 
Philosophy Minor 
Physics Minor 
Political Science Minor 
Psychology Minor 
Sociology Minor 
Studio Art Minor 
Theatre Minor 
Theology/Religious Studies Minor 
World Languages and Cultures Minors 
Writing Minor  


A concentration is a defined curricular program of study offered through the collaboration of faculty from two or more academic departments or disciplines. A concentration requires a minimum of 15 credit hours. Opportunities for concentrations are described in the departmental sections.

Asian Studies Concentration 
Catholic Studies Program 
Environmental Studies Concentration 
Human Development Program 
Italian Studies Concentration 
Judaic Studies Concentration 
Latin American Studies Concentration 
Nutrition Studies Concentration 
Peace and Justice Studies Program 
Women’s Studies Concentration  

* Available through the College of Graduate and Continuing Education only.

† Students entering the Occupational Therapy program will earn a B.S. in Health Sciences after completing the first four years of a five-year program and a Master of Science degree in Occupational Therapy after completion of the fifth year.

Special Programs

Accelerated Master’s Degree and Combined Baccalaureate/Master’s Degree Programs

Undergraduate students of the University with outstanding undergraduate records may apply for early admission to a master’s degree program through either the Accelerated Master’s Degree Program or Combined Baccalaureate/Master’s Degree Program. An undergraduate student who plans to go on to graduate study in Community Counseling, Health Administration, Human Resources, Nursing, Rehabilitation Counseling, School Counseling, or numerous programs in the field of Education may be eligible for admission to the Accelerated Master’s Degree Program. This program allows an undergraduate student who has an excellent academic record, to complete requirements for the baccalaureate, while also enrolling in graduate courses. Departments may allow some graduate coursework to satisfy undergraduate degree requirements (not to exceed 12 credit hours). The student’s undergraduate advisor, in consultation with the graduate program director, will recommend graduate coursework which will meet undergraduate requirements.  

An undergraduate student who plans to go on to graduate study in Accounting , Biochemistry , Chemistry , or Software Engineering , may be eligible for admission to the Combined Baccalaureate/Master’s Degree Program. This program allows an undergraduate student already enrolled in one of these fields, and who has an excellent academic record, to complete requirements for the baccalaureate, while also electing graduate courses.  Departments participating in this program allow some graduate work to satisfy undergraduate degree requirements (not to exceed 12 credit hours). In participating undergraduate departments, the student’s advisor will recommend the undergraduate coursework for which graduate credits may be substituted. The Combined Baccalaureate/Master’s Degree student will be expected to complete his/her baccalaureate degree the same semester as he/she completes the master’s degree. Often, the student entering the Combined Baccalaureate/Master’s Degree Program will complete both programs during a five-year time period.

For more information, see College of Graduate and Continuing Education .

Doctoral Program

The University offers a Doctor of Physical Therapy. This online degree program is offered to all qualified, master’s-educated physical therapists. Further information is available in the Graduate Studies Catalog.

Double Major

Students at the end of the first semester of freshman year or thereafter may elect to pursue a second field of concentration in addition to their first major. Students must secure written permission from the appropriate dean and the two pertinent departmental chairs. Students pursuing a second major are required to complete all major and required cognate courses and any general education courses that are explicitly required as part of the second major. The remainder of the credits in the General Education area need not be repeated. Except for double majors involving education and a content area, a second major will not be awarded for fewer than 18 credits in the second field that are not counted as part of the first major. Students completing double majors receive only one degree and diploma.

Faculty/Student Research Program

The Faculty/Student Research Program (FSRP) provides students an opportunity to become involved in faculty research. Students in all fields may participate. There are no fees for the FSRP; the program is open to all students in good academic standing including incoming freshmen. While students do not receive academic credit, they do receive transcript recognition.

To participate in the program, students must identify a faculty sponsor with whom they choose to work. This can be done by talking to individual faculty members directly about their research interests or by consulting the FSRP Directory, which includes information on research projects and any student prerequisites. When a student and faculty member agree to work together, they complete a learning contract that outlines the nature of the research, the tasks involved and the hours to be worked. The contract must be completed each semester that a student participates in the FSRP.

Faculty Student Research Learning Program Contract forms are available at the Office of the Registrar, (570) 941-7721.

Fellowship Programs

The Office of Fellowship Programs, located in IMBM 3rd floor, assists students preparing to make application for national and international awards, including, among others, the Truman, Mellon, James Madison, National Science Foundation, Goldwater, Soros, Churchill, Marshall, and Rhodes Scholarships. The University Director of Fellowship Programs, Dr. Mary Engel, advises students with outstanding academic records in the identification of appropriate fellowships and scholarships. Members of the Matteo Ricci Society, including the directors of the Undergraduate Honors Program, the Special Jesuit Liberal Arts Program, and the Business Leadership Program, as well as the faculty advisors for the Truman, Goldwater, Fulbright, and National Science Foundation, provide guidance and support to the Fellowships Office.  For more information visit us at www.scranton.edu/academics/fellowships/index.shtml.


Dr. Susan Trussler of the Economics/Finance Department is the University’s Fulbright Program Advisor.  Additional information is available online at www.scranton.edu/fulbright.

International Education

In fulfillment of our mission as a Catholic and Jesuit institution, The University of Scranton is committed to building a diverse international institution that serves the needs of an increasingly interdependent global community. We strive to create a welcoming and richly diverse campus with a commitment to international education and fellowship of the human family.

The University of Scranton has a solid international education record. To date, nearly 1,500 University students from nearly every major have studied in 53 countries and on every continent but Antarctica. Our faculty, administrators and staff hold degrees from 135 different universities in 26 countries on five continents. International students have been attending the University since 1946. At present, students from 14 different countries are enrolled in either the undergraduate or graduate schools.

International Programs and Services Mission Statement

The International Programs and Services (IPS) office promotes the University’s mission by facilitating the integration and acculturation of international students and scholars, as well as by promoting initiatives such as study abroad, scholar exchanges, international internships, and global partnerships. Reaching out to the entire campus community our services are designed to encourage and foster understanding and appreciation of diverse cultures, as well as to help prepare our students for successful participation and leadership in a global society. We invite you to visit us to learn more about how we are building bridges to promote intercultural understanding, global competency and fellowship in our interconnected world.

Studying Abroad

The University of Scranton provides opportunities for students to study at other universities around the world. The Office for Study Abroad provides one-stop shopping for students interested in studying abroad. The office encourages students who have an interest in gaining global experiences to stop by early and often in their academic career. Experts will help students identify study abroad options, provide academic advising, process applications, and provide comprehensive pre-departure services.

The University works closely with institutions around the world and is committed to working with the individual student to identify the study abroad site that is best for them. In many cases, adjusted financial aid packages and University of Scranton scholarships may be used while studying abroad.

International Students and Scholars

IPS ensures the smooth integration and adjustment of international students and scholars into the University community; ensures compliance with immigration regulations for the University; facilitates relocation of international students and scholars to the Scranton area; provides guidance, counseling and mentoring; and creates opportunities for international students and scholars to become valued and productive members of the community.

International Programming

IPS sponsors a variety of internationally focused activities and programs during the academic year such as International Education Week and International Women’s Week. Faculty and student discussion groups that focus on pressing global issues and events are held in the IPS International Center.  IPS sponsors a Family Friendship Program that connects international students with families in the local community. Through the Global Ambassador Program, American students who have studied abroad and international students visit classrooms in local schools and the University to discuss aspects of their experiences and culture.

Internship Programs

The University’s commitment to internships as an integral part of the educational process is strong. Internships give students opportunity to reflect upon, analyze and critique their experiences in ways that demonstrate their ability to integrate what they have learned in the classroom with what they are learning in the field.

Credit-bearing internships are available to students in many majors. For specific information on such internships, students should contact their academic advisors to complete an internship application, which includes a set of clearly defined objectives, internship responsibilities and an assessment plan. Credit-bearing internships are co-supervised by a faculty member and an on-site supervisor.

To support accessibility of non-mandatory, credit-bearing internships to undergraduate students, internship tuition for summer and intersession terms will be charged at one third of the academic credit of the course.  (For example, if the internship is 3.0 academic credits, the tuition charged would be 1 credit.) For non-mandatory internships in fall or spring semesters, the tuition will be adjusted to one third of the academic credit only if the internship causes an overage to the 18 credits covered under flat tuition.

This policy does not apply to required clinical courses in any of the PCPS majors, or to internships/residencies in counseling and human services (CHS), community health education (CHED), health administration (HADM) and human resources (HRS).  This policy does not apply to required internships in any program of study nor to graduate-level internships in any term.

Non–credit-bearing internships are also available. They are less structured and do not necessarily relate to specific course work. Students wishing to participate in the non–credit-bearing Career Experience Program should contact Career Services at (570) 941-7640 to schedule an appointment with a counselor.

Second Degrees

Persons with good scholastic records and baccalaureate degrees from regionally accredited institutions, who wish to earn second baccalaureate degrees, must apply to the College of Graduate and Continuing Education.

Academic Service Learning

The Panuska College of Professional Studies, in keeping with the mission of this University, is committed to a program of service-learning, which provides a link between civic engagement and academic study. The University received that recognition in both curricular engagement and outreach and partnerships. Service learning is integrated into and enhances students’ academic curriculum by providing structured time for students to reflect on the service experience. The service experience is an effective strategy for achieving enrichment and introducing the student to the academic, social and civic needs of diverse groups of people. Through this program, students in the Panuska College of Professional Studies complete service-learning experiences as a requirement for graduation.

Several courses in the College of Arts and Sciences also include a service-learning requirement.

The University as a whole received recognition of its service-learning accomplishments with the classification by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching as a Community Engagement institution.

Special Sessions

The University of Scranton annually offers Intersession in January and several summer sessions to allow students to accelerate their degree programs or to make up courses that may not have been completed during the regular semesters.

Student/Faculty Teaching Mentorship Program

The Student/Faculty Teaching Mentorship Program offers advanced students the opportunity to assist and be mentored by faculty in the teaching of selected courses. Together, they will craft the mentoring experiences that best fit the pedagogical requirements of the relevant course.

There is no fee assessed for this non-credit experience. While students do not receive academic credit or a grade, they do receive transcript recognition. The program is open to all undergraduate and graduate students in good academic standing.

For more information about the program, contact the Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence, located on the fifth floor of the Loyola Science Center, at (570) 941-4038.

Three-Year Bachelor’s Degree

The University of Scranton’s curriculum and academic calendar allow qualified students to attain their bachelor’s degrees within three years – thus considerably reducing the overall cost of their undergraduate education and allowing the student to enter the marketplace or begin graduate and professional studies a year earlier. While Advanced Placement credits are very useful for this, a student who does not bring these from high school may still complete the degree program in most majors within three years through the use of January intersession courses and/or summer-school sessions. The presumption is that normal academic progress is being made. Typically, two summer schools (12 credits each) and two or three January intersessions will suffice. Especially qualified students may be allowed overloads from the appropriate dean to further reduce this – as will Advanced Placement credits. The dean should be contacted as early as possible in a student’s career in order to facilitate the needed scheduling. Entering freshman students may want to use the summer school immediately following their high school graduation to further this three-year program; the Director of Admissions should be consulted with respect to this. Details on the special Scranton Preparatory/University Seven Year (4-3) High School-College Degree Program are available from the Dean of Studies at Scranton Preparatory.

University of Scranton/Marywood University Cross-Registration

Full-time undergraduate students who are in good standing and have completed 30 credits at The University of Scranton may take two Marywood University courses (equivalent to 6 credits) during the calendar year (January to December) on a space-available basis and with the approval of their advisor and dean. Part-time students who are in good academic standing and have completed 30 credits at The University of Scranton may take one Marywood course for every five Scranton courses, for a maximum of six Marywood courses, on a space-available basis and with the approval of their advisor and dean.