Dec 10, 2023  
Graduate Studies Catalog 2013-2014 
Graduate Studies Catalog 2013-2014 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


The Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Memorial Library

Opened in 1992, this 80,000-square-foot, five-story building is named for Harry and Jeanette Weinberg. Library holdings include 514,915 volumes, 45,972 print and full-text online journals, and 110,000 full-text electronic books that users can read on smartphones, tablets and computers. The facility includes group-study rooms; quiet study areas; two twenty-four-hour study rooms with computer labs; and the Heritage Room, a large reading room on the fifth floor overlooking the campus and community. There is a Java City Coffee Bar in the Pro Deo Room. Over 147 databases are available on the World Wide Web.  A proxy server gives users remote access to databases.  A virtual tour of the Library and its services is available at

The University Archives and Special Collections houses University historical records, rare books, faculty publications, and other special collections. The Media Resources Collection, located on the third floor, holds 21,285 non-print items and access to 11,050 streaming video programs. In addition to the Library’s own Online Public Catalog, users can use PALCI, Pennsylvania Academic Library Consortium Inc, E-Z-Borrow, a direct borrowing program.  The Library’s digital collections are available at  There are 88 computer workstations in the Library, including 45 machines available 24 hours a day, seven days a week in the Reilly Learning Commons and Pro Deo Rooms.  There are 15 laptops and 3 iPads available for loan from circulation desk. Throughout the building, there is wireless connection to the Internet for laptops equipped with a network card.

Library hours are posted on campus, on the Internet, and on a recording, which can be heard at 570-941-7525. It is open 95.5 hours per week, with extended hours during exam periods. For information about the Library, its services, and resources, see the Weinberg Memorial Library homepage on the World Wide Web or select the Library from the University’s homepage Some required readings for courses are available through electronic reserves. The Library conducts an extensive information literacy program to orient and instruct students in resources and research techniques. Users can call the Reference Desk 570-941-4000 to schedule an appointment or submit questions to “Ask a Librarian”  Librarians are available by IM or by texting 570-687-8787 all hours the Library is open. Live Chat with American Jesuit College and University librarians is also available 24/7. Special services for delivery of materials are available for distance learners.


To find out what’s new in the Library, visit Infospot@WML or


Career Services

Career Services staff advises students on career-development issues, assists students and graduates in job searches, and helps students plan for further academic work following graduation. During the academic year, the office presents workshops on resume/interview preparation and career planning. A career library containing occupational information and some graduate school catalogs are also available. The Career Services Office coordinates the on-campus recruiting program. The Career Services Office also maintains the College Central website ( where graduate students can search for advertised positions and post their resumes; and where employers can evaluate the resumes posted by Scranton students. Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.  Walk in hours are 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday and 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday.  Contact Career Services in Ciszek Hall 570-941-7640 to arrange appointments.  Alumni, off-campus students, and online students can contact the Career Services Office at to inquire about post-graduate career possibilities or to schedule a tele-counseling appointment.


Counseling Center

The Counseling Center provides a safe, comfortable, caring and confidential place for students. Sometimes students have personal concerns they may wish to discuss with one of our staff. These may be related to relationships, transition, coping, development, school, self-concept, family dynamics, etc. Other concerns may be alcohol and other drug use/abuse, anxiety and/or depression, etc.

The Counseling Center is staffed by licensed psychologists, counselors, social workers and a part-time psychiatrist who are available to help students make the most they can out of their years at the University. Finding ways to identify and cope with these concerns can make a difference in the life of a college student.

The Center, located in McGurrin Hall, second floor, is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Later evening sessions may be available by appointment. The Counseling Center does not provide online therapy services. After hours emergency crisis consultation with a clinician is available on a 24-hour basis from September through May while classes are in session by contacting Public Safety 570-941-7777. For Counseling Center appointments, students may call 570-941-7620 or stop by the Center. Our web site address is


Center for Health Education and Wellness

The Center for Health Education and Wellness (CHEW) encourages healthy lifestyle choices by providing in-house educational programs, as well as referrals to campus resources.  Students are encouraged to assess and improve their health in each of the eight dimensions of wellness: spiritual, social, physical, intellectual, occupational, multicultural, environmental, and emotional. In addition, student leadership and peer education opportunities are available through the Center’s Coalition of Peer Educators in the following areas: Physical Activity, Nutrition, Mental Health, HIV/AIDS, Tobacco, Late Night Programming, and Alcohol and Drug Prevention.  Program offerings are posted on campus and on our webpage each semester. Visit or contact the Center for additional information. CHEW is located in the Patrick and Margaret DeNaples Campus Center – Room 205K. The Center is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and evenings by appointment 570-941-4253.


Computer Facilities

The University provides many computing facilities on campus as well as extensive access to our wireless networks. General access labs are available in the Weinberg Memorial Library and Hyland Hall’s Cyber Café. The Weinberg Memorial Library Pro Deo Computer Labs provide 24/7 access. The Library also provides loaner laptops, which may be checked out for use in the Library, on a first come, first served basis. Most academic departments provide instructional and general use computing labs for their students.

The University supports two wireless networks: ROYALAIR, which is available in almost every building on campus as well as most outdoor areas, and RoyalGuest, which is widely available and intended for guest or visitors to our campus.

Further information and assistance is available at the Information Resources Technology Support Center in Alumni Memorial Hall. All students, on-campus and online, may contact the Technology Support Center by phone at 570-941-HELP or by email at


Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence

The University’s Center for Teaching & Learning Excellence (CTLE) is located on the 5th floor of the Loyola Science Center. The mission of the CTLE is to provide academic support services for students and opportunities for faculty to enhance teaching and learning. The CTLE offers services to assist graduate students to achieve academic success. The CTLE can assist graduate students who reside in Northeastern Pennsylvania with: improving their reading comprehension and retention abilities, writing skills, and overall learning strategies; and learning how to use the instructional technologies that are available on campus. Assistance is offered in the areas of time management, organizational skills, effective study techniques and learning styles. For graduate students who take online courses, the Writing Center at the CTLE provides online consultations.  The CTLE also offers opportunities for faculty and students to engage in teaching mentoring experiences through the Student/Faculty Teaching Mentorship Program (SFTMP). Students with a documented disability should register with the CTLE so that they can receive appropriate academic accommodations.  To assist students achieve academic success, individual consultations are encouraged with the CTLE Reading Enrichment Specialist, the Learning Enrichment Specialist, and the Writing Consultants.

To learn more about the CTLE’s programs and services for students and faculty visit the Web site at or phone 570-941-4038.


Byron Recreational Complex/John Long Center

Any graduate student may use the Byron Recreational Complex, the John Long Center and the fitness center located on the first floor of the new apartment complex by paying a fee of $70.00 each semester. Facilities in the Byron Recreational Complex include three multi-purpose gymnasiums that may be used for basketball, volleyball, badminton, and tennis; indoor pool and locker rooms containing saunas and steam rooms; racquetball/handball courts; and a dance/aerobics room.  The John Long Center facilities, located adjacent to the Byron Complex, include a gymnasium, wrestling room and locker rooms.  This new fitness facility located on Mulberry St. is home to 44 pieces of cardio equipment, each equipped with individual cardio theatre, as well as 22 pieces of Cybex VR3 selectorized weight machines and a state-of-the-art free weight area.  For more information call the Recreational Center at 570-941-6203.


Student Health Services

Student Health Services is located in the Roche Wellness Center at the corner of Mulberry Street and North Webster Avenue. Graduate students who come to campus have the option of utilizing on-campus services by paying the health fee of $65.00 each semester.   Payment of the health fee may be made at the Bursar’s Office.

On-campus services include health and wellness information, nursing assessment, treatment of routine illnesses and injuries, medical services provided by certified nurse practitioners and physicians by appointment, as well as referral to community health care providers for services beyond the scope of a student health facility. It is very important that all students have health insurance coverage. Although Student Health Services does no insurance billing, community providers will require health insurance or private payment for services such as hospitalization, laboratory testing or x-ray, etc.

Students may telephone or e-mail requests for general health information but diagnosis or recommendations for treatment are not done by telephone or e-mail. Further information may be obtained by contacting Student Health Services at 570-941-7667 or visiting our website which can be accessed at


Graduate Student Housing

The University of Scranton offers comfortable and competitively priced accommodations for full-time, on-campus graduate students. Space is limited and is available on a first-come, first-served basis. These furnished apartments are within walking distance to the campus and downtown Scranton. For more information please contact the Office of Residence Life at (570) 941-6226 or visit their website, for specific information on housing for graduate students.


Graduate & Continuing Education Student Organization

The purpose of the GCESO is to serve the needs of the adult undergraduate and graduate learner and to represent these needs to the University of Scranton by providing a forum for expression of student views and interests; representing the adult student body in the affairs of the University of Scranton; providing and encouraging academic freedom, academic responsibility; and student leadership; enhancing student moral, spiritual, cultural, social and physical welfare; promoting better educational standards, facilities and teaching techniques; promoting national and international understanding and fellowship at the student level; and fostering the recognition of the rights and responsibilities of students to the school, the community, and humanity.

All graduate and adult undergraduate students who are following an approved curriculum and who are in good standing are encouraged to join.  Any student who receives a Graduate Assistantship or a specially designated award at the undergraduate level (e.g. O’Hara Award, Charlotte W. Newcombe Award) is an automatic member of GCESO.  All members of the GCESO are eligible to hold office in the organization.  The organization also recruits volunteers to serve on various university committees.


Graduate Assistantship Information

Employment of graduate students as Teaching Assistants, Research Assistants, and Graduate Assistants enables them to pursue their graduate education, strengthens the quality of their educational experience, and helps the University develop the quality of its graduate programs. GTAs, GRAs, and GAs also provide valuable and necessary services to the University. However, because GTAs, GRAs, and GAs are primarily students, their duties should have a direct relationship to their academic program of study.


A faculty member has the primary responsibility for determining all aspects regarding course content and delivery. A Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) assists faculty members in the teaching and delivery of course content. This may include grading papers, classroom or laboratory teaching, conducting help sessions, providing academic support services for students, or serving an apprenticeship under the supervision of a faculty member. A Graduate Teaching Assistant may engage in one or more of the following activities:

• Set up and lead a laboratory
• Lead a discussion section
• Respond to students’ questions
• Assist in grading student work
• Tutor students
• Assist with the administration of a course
• Assist faculty in the development of new material for a course

A GTA receives a stipend of $8,800/year and a tuition scholarship that provides for full tuition and fees (registration fees, laboratory fees, and any other specific course related fees) in support of the registration of the student not to exceed the number of graduate credit hours required for the student’s particular degree program.

A graduate student must apply for vacant GTA positions no later than March 1. In all cases, a GTA must have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.00, must be regularly admitted as a graduate student into a graduate degree program, and is selected based on his/her previous teaching experience or his/her academic potential to be an effective instructor in his/her field of training.

Exceptional graduate students may be offered a GTA position at the time of recruitment. Departments that choose this option must develop a rubric that will be used to evaluate these GTAs and provide evidence that these individuals possess both the academic knowledge and pedagogical skills required to serve as a GTA.

All GTA must participate in a GTA workshop prior to the start of the fall semester. The required service commitment of a GTA is 600 hours during the academic year.


A Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) conducts research or performs research-related activities. A GRA may be employed either by an academic department or an administrative/research unit. A GRA employed by an academic department usually performs research for a faculty member and often times works with the faculty member in conducting a research project. A GRA may also be employed by a research or administrative unit outside his or her department. In such situations, the GRA should bring certain knowledge or skills of value to the project. A Research Assistant may engage in one or more of the following activities:

• Perform independent research under the direction of a faculty member
• Engage in literature searches
• Perform data analysis
• Design an experiment
• Assist in a faculty member’s laboratory
• Co-author a research paper

A GRA receives a stipend of $4,400/year and a tuition scholarship that provides for one-half tuition and full fees (registration fees, laboratory fees, and any other specific course related fees) in support of the registration of the student not to exceed the number of graduate credit hours required for the student’s particular degree program.

• A graduate student may be awarded an academic GRA position at the time of acceptance into a graduate program in recognition of his or her outstanding academic credentials.
A graduate student must apply for an administrative GRA position no later than March 1.
• A candidate for a GRA position must have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.00, must be regularly admitted as a graduate student into a graduate degree program, and is selected based on his/her level of academic preparation.

The required service commitment of a GRA is 300 hours during the academic year.


A Graduate Assistant (GA) may be employed either by an academic department or by an administrative office to manage special projects or work in a paraprofessional capacity. Non-departmental offices may select candidates from many areas of graduate study. A Graduate Assistant may engage in one or more of the following activities:

• Perform a variety of administrative tasks including preparation of Power Point presentations, data entry
and analysis, web site development, collating marketing materials and presentations.
• Provide assistance with event planning
• Facilitate projects in an office with other students
• Serve on short-term college project teams
• Support departmental processes related to student recruitment including contacting prospective students,
creation of marketing materials, peer advising/mentoring, conducting campus tours and orientation
activities, and delivering presentations
• Supervise a computer laboratory
• Configure and manage servers used in the delivery of distance courses

A GA receives a stipend of $4,400/year and a tuition scholarship that provides for one-half tuition and full fees (registration fees, laboratory fees, and any other specific course related fees) in support of the registration of the student not to exceed the number of graduate credit hours required for the student’s particular degree program.

• A graduate student may be awarded an academic GA position at the time of acceptance into a graduate program in recognition of his or her outstanding academic credentials.
A graduate student must apply for an administrative GA position no later than March 1.
• A candidate for a GA position must have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.00, must be regularly admitted as a graduate student into a graduate degree program, and is selected based on his/her level of academic preparation.

The required service commitment of a GA is 300 hours during the academic year. If a GA is assigned to a group of faculty or staff members, it is the responsibility of the supervisor to coordinate the service commitment expectations of the GA so that he or she does not perform at a level or in a period beyond what is expected in the contract.

GTAs, GRAs, and GAs are expected to register for at least six graduate credits during each academic semester (fall semester and spring semester). Fewer credits may be taken during the GTA, GRA, or GA’s final term. If a student who is a GTA, GRA, or GA is dismissed from the University for either academic or non-academic reasons, the GTA, GRA, or GA contract is voided concurrent with the dismissal.

Stipend payments are made in equal monthly allotments on the first day of the month following a month of service. Withholding of federal, state, and local income taxes are similar to those pertaining to ordinary income. During the academic semesters in which a graduate student holds a GTA, GRA, or GA position, he/she is not permitted to hold any full-time or part-time employment at the University.

GTAs, GRAs, and GAs assigned to academic departments are expected to satisfy their service commitment during each of the academic semesters (including the week prior to the start of the semester, the constituent weeks of the semester, and the week of final examinations). In administrative units, GRAs and GAs may satisfy part of the service commitment during periods other than the academic semesters (e.g., during intersession). In such cases, the service expectations should be stated in writing by the supervisor at the time of the appointment. An appropriate schedule should be worked out between supervisors and GRAs or GAs well in advance to clarify expectations.

A GTA, GRA, or GA is awarded for the academic year and is renewable for a second year if the GTA, GRA, or GA has maintained a 3.00 GPA or better, has made sufficient progress towards completion of degree requirements, and has performed at an acceptable level of service during the first year. GTAs, GRAs, and GAs will be evaluated annually by their supervisors. A GTA, GRA, or GA whose performance is judged unsatisfactory is subject to having the assistantship rescinded.

In such cases, the supervisor should meet with the GTA, GRA, or GA, discuss the deficiency with him/her, and develop a corrective plan. The meeting should be followed by written notification to the GTA, GRA, or GA from the supervisor specifying the problem, what corrective action is needed, and a timetable, usually 30 days, by which to correct the problem. The assistant must be informed that failure to correct the problem could result in termination of the assistantship. If after the corrective period expires, the problem persists, the GTA, GRA, or GA may be dismissed.

A GTA, GRA, or GA may also be dismissed for failure to remain in good academic standing. Each semester the Graduate School will review the academic progress of assistants to determine if any fall below the required 3.00 GPA. If an assistant is placed on academic probation, he/she must meet with the Graduate Program Director of the home department and, where appropriate, the Graduate Dean. The decision to allow an assistant to continue with an assistantship while on academic probation will be made by the Graduate Dean in consultation with the Graduate Program Director taking into account the individual circumstances of the student holding the assistantship.


Enrollment Status for Graduate Students: Graduate students are considered to be full-time students if enrolled for a minimum of six credits per semester. Students who are enrolled for a minimum of three credits per semester are considered to be half-time students. For additional information, please refer to our Comprehensive Guide to Financial Aid Programs on the Financial Aid website under publications.

Students accepted to a graduate studies program may apply for the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program, Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan Program and the Federal Work Study Programs. When a determination of eligibility is made, an email will be sent to the student’s University of Scranton email account advising them to view their Electronic Aid Notification Letter on the Self Service UIS system.

Required Applications: Graduate students applying for any federal financial aid listed above, must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which is available online at Students applying for federal work study must complete our Online Work Study Application available on the Self Service University Information System (UIS). Federal Work Study applicants must indicate this request when completing the FAFSA form.  Students must also complete an eMPN at the Federal Direct Loan Website. Visit and click on Loans & Financing Options. Under the Graduate column, click on Federal Direct Stafford Loans and click on Apply Now to design your Electronic Master Promissory Note. The eMPN is valid for 10 years, but the FAFSA must be filed each year. Employer reimbursement will be considered as a resource and will be counted toward loan eligibility. Please notify the Financial Aid Office if you are receiving Employer Reimbursement and complete the Deferment of Tuition Payment FOrm for each term you are seeking tuition reimbursement. Please visit under common forms.

Aggregate and Annual Loan Eligibility for Graduate Students: The annual maximum Stafford Loan for graduate students is $20,500 for the Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan Program. Graduate students will be certified for the maximum eligibility based on cost of attendance for the loan term. Should you not want the maximum, please notify the Financial Aid Office in writing from your University of Scranton email account, on the amount that you wish to borrow. Loan proceeds are credited to the student’s account at the beginning of each semester depending on when the loan was processed. Students will be notified when funds have been disbursed to the account. Eligibility is also dependent on Satisfactory Academic Progress and the aggregate amount a student has already borrowed for their educational career. Graduate students are limited to an aggregate of $138,500.

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans are available to credit worthy graduate students. Students may apply for up to the difference between their cost of attendance less the total of all other financial aid received. Students are required to complete a FAFSA and should first utilize the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program prior to borrowing under the Federal Direct Graduate Plus Loan program. Students must notify the Financial Aid Office of their request to apply under this program and must also complete an eMPN at the Federal Direct Loan website, which is valid for 10 years. Visit and click on Loans & Financing Options. Under the Graduate column, click on Federal Direct Graduate Plus Loans.

Loan Counseling must be completed for the Federal Direct Stafford and Graduate Plus Loans at the Direct Loan Servicing website. Visit and click on Loans & Financing Options. Under the Graduate column, click on Federal Direct Stafford Loans and then click on Entrance Counseling. Please read and complete all required items.

Loans for Students Enrolled in Teacher Certification or Pre-Professional Coursework: Students admitted in a Teacher Certification Program and not in a Master’s Degree Program are eligible to borrow up to $5,500 in the Stafford Loan and up to $7,000 in the Additional Unsubsidized Stafford Loan (if eligible under this program). Students admitted under a Pre-Professional status who are enrolled in prerequisite courses for admission into an eligible graduate or professional program, may be eligible to borrow up to $5,500 through the Direct Stafford Loan Program and up to $7,000 through the Direct Additional Unsubsidized Stafford Loan (if eligible under this program). Students are limited to one loan for one consecutive 12-month period for these maximum amounts for pre-professional coursework. In addition to the required financial aid application process, students enrolled under a Pre-Professional status must submit a letter from their advisor stating that the coursework is required for admission into a graduate or professional degree program. Repeated courses cannot be included when calculating financial aid.


The U.S. Department of Education regulations require that educational institutions measure students’ progress toward a declared educational objective, both quantitatively and qualitatively in order to be eligible to receive Federal Title IV aid, which includes Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants (SEOG), Federal Work Study, Federal Perkins Loans, Stafford Loans, Parent PLUS Loans and Graduate PLUS Loans.

Detailed information about academic probation for continuation in a program of study may be found in the Academic Regulations section in the graduate catalog under Standards of Progress at

Requirements:  The measurement of satisfactory academic progress for receipt of federal student aid is broken down into three categories: maximum time frame, PACE and qualitative measure as explained in the following sections.

Maximum Time Frame:  A student may not exceed a maximum number of attempted credits in any program(s), even if aid was not received during all periods of enrollment. The maximum number of credits is 150% of a student’s program(s) required credits. Once a student reaches the maximum amount of credits attempted as specified by the program(s), the student will be ineligible to receive further Title IV aid. Students in this category may submit appeals in accordance with the Appeals section of this policy.

Examples:   Program Credits X 1.5= Maximum Attempted Credits (Note: attempted credits include all transfer and advanced standing credits)

Community Counseling-60 credits X 1.5=90 maximum attempted credits
Educational Administration- 38 credits X 1.5=58.5 maximum attempted credits
Total credit requirements for your major(s) X 1.5= maximum attempted credits

Please note that the maximum time frame measurement always uses a student’s current major(s) credit requirements. Students who experienced a change in major(s) may appeal the maximum time frame restriction, as outlined in the Appeals section of this policy.

PACE:  This measurement ensures that a student is completing their program(s) within the maximum time frame allowed. PACE is calculated by dividing total credits earned by total credits attempted and includes accepted transfer and advanced standing credits in both the numerator and denominator. PACE is measured annually at the conclusion of the spring semester. Graduate Student PACE measurement is 70%.

Examples are listed below:



Credits Attempted

Credits Earned

Cumulative Credits Attempted

Cumulative Credits Competed

Percentage Completed

Meeting Pace

Fall First Year






Spring First Year







First Annual Measurement







Summer After First Year







Fall Second Year







Spring Second Year







Second Annual Measurement







Qualitative Measure:

In addition to the maximum time frame and PACE requirements specified above, all students must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00 in order to demonstrate satisfactory academic progress for receipt of federal aid. The 2.00 cumulative GPA requirements apply to all Federal Student AId Programs and need-based University of Scranton funds and University of Scranton Work Study Program.

Monitoring Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements:  Both PACE and GPA requirements are measured at the end of each spring semester. In the interim, all students are responsible to monitor their compliance with all satisfactory academic progress requirements for receipt of aid funds. Students not meeting PACE and/or the minimum grade point average for receipt of federal aid must earn the sufficient number of credits and/or meet the minimum cumulative grade point average requirements before having aid reinstated, or have successfully appealed for an exception to the requirements.

 Financial Aid Suspension:  In the event a student’s federal and/or University aid is canceled, a formal notice will be sent to the student informing him/her of the action and requirements for reinstatement and procedures for appeal.


 Reinstatement of Aid:  Financial aid eligibility may be reinstated when the student has reestablished satisfactory academic standing. It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Financial Aid Office in writing when cumulative GPA requirements have been met and/or PACE deficiencies are corrected.

Once matriculated at The University of Scranton, credits taken at another institution must be approved by the dean of the college in which the student is enrolled. Detailed academic policies about this topic may be found under Academic Regulations  section of the graudate catalog under Transfer of Credits at

Appeals:  If, due to extenuating circumstances, students fail to meet academic progress requirements, they may appeal the termination of their financial aid. Appeals must be made in writing to the Director of Financial Aid and must specify the reason(s) why satisfactory academic progress was not achieved and how the deficiencies can be remediated during any approved probationary period. Documentation of the reason(s) for appeal – letters from physicians, copy of death certificate for family member, etc … must accompany the written request. The Financial Aid Office will consult with the Dean’s Office of the college in which the student is enrolled to obtain a recommendation on the appeal request. An appeal will be granted in cases where the University determines that a student should be able to meet the satisfactory academic progress standard during the subsequent payment period or develops an academic plan for a student that, if followed, will ensure that she or he is able to meet satisfactory academic progress by a specific point in time. The academic plan may specify requirements on the part of a student and designate a time frame to meet the satisfactory academic progress requirements. All final decisions will be communicated by the Financial Aid Office.

Financial Aid Probation:  A student on financial aid probation may receive federal student aid funds for one payment period, which includes summer and special sessions. The institution may require a student on financial aid probation to fulfill specific terms and conditions such as taking a reduced course load, enrolling in specific courses or availing themselves of specified University or private resources. At the end of one payment period on financial aid probation, the student must meet the University’s satisfactory academic progress standards for receipt of financial aid or meet the requirements of the academic plan developed by the Dean’s Office and the student to qualify for further federal student aid funds.

For University of Scranton Grants and Scholarships, students not meeting the required minimum, cumulative grade point average at the end of the spring term will be allowed to retain their aid for one term. If at the conclusion of the term they are still not meeting the required minimum, cumulative grade point average, yet have exceeded the grade point average required of the grant or scholarship, one final term of University assistance will be allowed. These provisions do not apply to continued receipt of federal student aid for students whose cumulative grade point average is not the minimum, cumulative grade point average of 2.00, except in cases where a student successfully appealed and was placed on Financial Aid Probation, or is meeting the requirements defined in an individual academic plan approved by their college’s Dean’s Office.

Drops, Withdrawals and Incomplete Grades:  Credits dropped during the drop refund period of the term as defined on the published academic calendar are not counted as attempted credits. Incomplete courses are counted as attempted credits for the determination of PACE and maximum time frame.

Stop Outs and Re-admitted students:  When a student has a break in enrollment and is readmitted, satisfactory academic progress will be evaluated taking into consideration any transfer and advanced standing credits earned during the break in enrollment and accepted by the University.

Terms, Parts of Term and Summer:  Terms are comprised of all sessions and parts of term within a term. For measurement of satisfactory academic progress, January Intersession will be combined with spring term.

Audited Courses:  Audited Courses are not considered as attempted or earned in the calculation of PACE and maximum time frame.

Repeated Courses:  Repeated courses will be counted in attempted and earned each time registered.

Multiple Majors/Degrees:  The maximum time frame will be calculated using all required credits to complete multiple majors and all credits attempted and earned will be used in the calculation of PACE.

Change of Major:  The maximum time frame will be calculated using the current major and all credits attempted and earned, including those for prior major(s) will be part of PACE and cumulative grade point average calculations.

Subsequent Degrees:  Measurement of maximum time frame and PACE will be calculated based on the requirements of the subsequent degree.

International Students may apply for Private Educational Alternative Loans to help finance their educational costs. Students must be credit worthy and must also apply with a credit worthy U. S. citizen or a permanent resident who has resided in the U. S. for the previous two years. Information is available at and click on Loans & Financing Options.

ROTC: Recipients of ROTC scholarships are subject o a different policy. Please direct all inquiries concering this policy to the Financial Aid Office.

Tuition Policy for Senior Citizens: Persons 60 years of age and older may audit courses at The University of Scranton at no tuition charge, on a space-available basis. Such persons may take courses for credit at 50% tuition. These reductions are applicable only after the person has applied for and receives any form of financial assistance normally available, e.g., state and federal assistance and employer reimbursement. Fees and other costs of courses, e.g., textbooks, are assessed at the normal rate in all cases. Students must be formally admitted into CGCE in order to pursue graduate courses.

This policy does not pertain to HR Online, MBA Online, Nurse Anesthesia, Scranton Education Online or tDPT students.

Veterans Rehabilitation Benefits:

Students eligible to receive Rehabilitation Educational Benefits due to their Veterans Status are still subject to the federal, state and University Gift Aid policy. Their monthly educational benefits must be excluded in the total resources received.

Veterans Education Programs:

The University of Scranton is partnering with the federal government ot help fund the cost of tuition for military veterans and their eligible dependents by participating in the federal Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program). The Universiyt of Scranton has chosen to contribute the maximum 50% funding. When matched by the VA, this contribution, plus the Post 9/11 GI Bill, will fund the full cost of tuition at the University of Scranton. In the event Post 9/11 GI Bill funds are exhausted, it is the student’s responsibility to provide documentation to the Financial AId Office that their benefits are exhausted.

Veterans should contact the VA to determine eligibility for Veterans’ Educational Benefits, including the Post 9/11 GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon Program. Additional information including contact numbers of regional VA offices, can be found on the VA website at


Graduate Tuition Guarantee Program

In order to provide a basis for personal economic planning for graduate course work and to encourage the completion of graduate degree requirements at The University of Scranton, a graduate student initiating a course of study will be eligible for a guaranteed tuition rate based on the initial academic term (either fall semester, intersession, spring semester, or summer sessions) for a total of three calendar years.

  1. The tuition rate for the initial term of registration will be assessed for subsequent registrations in the University’s next three academic terms.
  2. In order to be eligible for this Graduate Tuition Guarantee in the second 12-month period, the student must maintain and successfully complete a total registration of at least nine graduate credit hours for the initial 12-month period (the four academic terms included in the 12 months commencing with the student’s initial registration term).  Successfully completing at least nine graduate credit hours is interpreted to mean earning a grade of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, S, or IP (In Progress for thesis work) in each of the courses comprising those nine credit hours.
  3. If the student satisfies the requirements for the Graduate Tuition Guarantee for the second 12-month period, then he/she is eligible for a third 12-month period.  As in item #2, in order to be eligible for this Graduate Tuition Guarantee in the third 12-month period, the student must maintain and complete a total registration of at least nine graduate credit hours for the second 12-month period (the four academic terms included in the second 12 months following the student’s initial registration term).
  4. The Graduate Tuition Guarantee will cease at the end of the 36-month period following the initial graduate registration or if the student fails to satisfy the nine-graduate credit-hour registration expectation in the previous designated 12-month period. 
  5. When the Graduate Tuition Guarantee ceases, the tuition rate for that current academic year will become effective.
  6. A student is eligible for the Graduate Tuition Guarantee only at the outset of studies and after the Graduate Tuition Guarantee Agreement has been signed by the student and returned to CGCE Office.

This policy does not pertain to HR Online, MBA Online, Nurse Anesthesia, Scranton Education Online or tDPT students.

Voucher Program: As partial recognition for work conducted by field supervisors in various areas (Counseling, Education, Health Administration, Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy), The University of Scranton will award a non-transferable Graduate Tuition Voucher which may be used to pay for campus-based graduate credits taken at The University of Scranton after admittance.

This policy does not pertain to Nurse Anesthesia or Scranton Education online students.



Endowed Scholarships

The Regina B. Inch Bennett ’93, G’96 Scholarship:  When Regina retired as Assistant Dean in the College of Graduate & Continuing Education in 2012 after more than 30 years of service to the University, Dean W. Jeffrey Welsh, Ph.D., established and raised additional funds to endow this scholarship in her honor.  Awards are given to graduate students enrolled in the College of Graduate and Continuing Education in either campus-based or online graduate programs who hold full-time employment.

The Professor Dr. Jay Nathan, Ph.D., Scholarship:  Retired university professor Dr. Jay Nathan, a former Senior Fulbright Scholar, endowed this scholarship in 2011 to provide financial assistance to graduate level students in the Kania School of Management from Mongolia, Thailand, India, Poland or central Asian countries.

The Pakistani MBA or MHA Student Fellowship:  Established by longtime University Economics/Finance professor Riaz Hussain, Ph.D., this fellowship provides funds for students beginning their studies in the MBA or MHA program.  The recipient must be a citizen of Pakistan or Bangladesh. 

Annual Scholarships

The Bangladeshi Masters in Health Administration Student Fellowship:  Established by M.R. Chowdhury, M.D., this fellowship provides funds to graduate level students from the country of Bangladesh enrolled in the University’s Masters in Health Administration program.

The Sarah Beth Beynon Memorial Scholarship of the Scranton Area Foundation: This scholarship is awarded by the Scranton Area Foundation to graduate students pursuing studies in cancer research.

The Sanofi Pasteur Scholarship:  Scholarships are offered each year to two graduate students who have demonstrated excellence in the sciences and are pursuing Master’s degrees.



In accordance with federal regulations, all students who receive federal financial aid and who completely withdraw from the University during the first 60% of a semester will have their federal financial aid (Pell Grants, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, Teach Grants, Perkins Loans, Stafford Loans and PLUS Loans) adjusted based on the percent of the semester completed prior to the withdrawal. That is, students will be entitled to retain the same percent of the federal financial aid received as the percent of the semester completed. The date of withdrawal will be the date the student begins the withdrawal process in accordance with the official procedures outlined in the catalog. There will be no adjustment to federal financial aid after 60% of the semester is completed. Students who must totally withdraw from school should consult with the Financial Aid Office on how the refund policy applies to their situation. Students should consult the Comprehensive Guide to Financial Aid Programs at for specific information on both state and University of Scranton aid adjustment policies due to complete withdrawals during a term.