Jun 03, 2023  
Undergraduate Catalog 2013-2014 
Undergraduate Catalog 2013-2014 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

College of Graduate and Continuing Education

A Degree of Distinction

The College of Graduate and Continuing Education serves graduate students, undergraduate adult students and high school scholars.

Since 1923, The University of Scranton has provided quality undergraduate educational opportunities for adult and returning students. Services are available for part-time and full-time adult students; high school scholars, visiting students, senior citizens; and those seeking intellectual enrichment.

The University’s graduate offerings, the most comprehensive in Northeastern Pennsylvania, draw students from throughout the United States and from more than 20 foreign countries. Students can pursue graduate degrees and various types of certification in more than 25 fields of study.

Undergraduate Education

The College of Graduate and Continuing Education provides admission opportunities, student services and advising to undergraduates in the following categories:

  1. Adults who wish to pursue an undergraduate degree
  2. Students who want to obtain an associate’s degree or certificate
  3. Adults who want to improve their professional competence and/or to prepare themselves for new careers
  4. Adults who want to take advantage of educational programs for enrichment
  5. Visiting students from other colleges and universities
  6. High school scholars
  7. International students

CGCE is dedicated to helping students succeed by offering scholarship opportunities, life-experience credits, academic and career counseling, and academic support services.

Adult Students

Adult undergraduate learners are a priority for The University of Scranton. As a result, the University provides special advising and other services to these students through the College of Graduate and Continuing Education (CGCE). CGCE is committed to carrying on the Jesuit tradition by offering quality programs, efficient services and the opportunity for students to reach their educational goals. The University is dedicated to serving the local community and continually updates its programs and services in response to the community’s ever-changing needs.

High School Scholars/Dual Enrollment Program

Offered to rising juniors and seniors who have demonstrated strong achievement in high school, The University of Scranton High School Scholars Program gives local students the chance to earn college credits at a greatly reduced rate. Courses are the same as those offered to college students, giving high school students an opportunity to experience college-level work before entering college.

Dual enrollment agreements exist with several local school districts. These agreements allow for students to use their college credits toward their high school graduation requirements. In addition, some districts have secured state grant funds to help offset the expenses of enrollment. Interested students should check with their guidance offices to see if their school is a participating dual enrollment school.

Eligibility and Requirements

  • Local high school students must have completed their sophomore or junior year with a minimum of a 3.3 (B+) grade point average.
  • Students may take one course each term – fall, spring, summer I, summer II – until graduating from high school.
  • Students may enroll for a maximum of 3 credits per session. Individual exceptions may be made if GPA/SAT scores substantiate the request.
  • Registrations will be processed on a space-available basis. Students will be responsible for tuition and applicable fees.
  • Successfully completed courses (C or better) are awarded University of Scranton credits, typically 3 credits per course, and are accepted towards a degree at The University of Scranton.
  • Courses may be taken for credit at a special tuition rate of $175 per credit.

International Students

The University of Scranton has been teaching international students for more than 50 years and understand the unique challenges and rewards international students experience during their studies in the U.S. A full-time Director of International Student Affairs advises and counsels students during their transition to a new culture and educational system. This office also offers practical assistance obtaining medical insurance coverage, dealing with the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), helping with currency control documents, etc.

Undergraduate Bachelor Degree Programs

College of Graduate and Continuing Education students may attend courses offered in the day or at night. Students who can attend courses scheduled for mornings and afternoons may choose from the degree programs listed in Group 1 or Group 2. Students who plan to attend only in the evening may select from Group 2.

Curricular requirements for each degree program will be found on pages indicated in the index at the back of this catalog. Mathematics placement testing may determine additional math prerequisites in addition to those specified by a degree program. The physical education and freshman seminar requirements are waived for adult students.

Associate in Arts

The Associate in Arts is often classified as the Liberal Arts* “transfer degree” in that it provides the student with a broad exposure to the arts and sciences.

Each candidate for the degree must complete 60 semester hours of credit. Of these, 54 credits must be earned in the liberal arts, according to a prescribed plan covering the humanities, social/behavioral sciences, philosophy, theology/religious studies, and natural sciences/mathematics. The remaining 6 semester hours are allotted to free electives. Applicants who have attended other accredited colleges may transfer up to 30 credits for applicable courses in which a grade of C or better was earned.

To see the Associate in Arts Curriculum, visit Associate in Arts .

Associate in Science: Career-Related Field

The Associate of Science degree in career-related fields has been designed as the natural companion to the Bachelor of Science degrees in those majors.

Associate in Science degrees offered at the University include:

Certificates for Academic Credit

A certificate program is an educational opportunity to gain professional knowledge or training in a specific field before or after pursuing a degree. Students enroll in the undergraduate certificate programs with a variety of educational backgrounds ranging from having completed no college work to having earned a degree.

The courses a certificate student takes are part of the regular curriculum of the University. Certificate programs are comprised of eight academic credit courses that are recorded permanently on the student’s transcript. Some certificates also include guided learning experiences.

In order to earn a certificate, a student must maintain at least a C average in the certificate courses and must successfully complete any other requirements as stipulated for a specific certificate program. Generally, no more than 6 credits may be transferred into a certificate program.

Application to a certificate program is made through the College of Graduate and Continuing Education Admissions Office. After a student’s application is approved, the student is accepted into the program and may then register. A student is responsible for conferring with an advisor before registering and as needed in the course of earning the certificate.

In certain certificate programs, the required courses may be waived on the basis of prior experience.

Certificates available include Advertising/ Public Relations, Computer Information Systems, Health Administration, Human Resources Studies. The Business/Management certificates are Level I: Business, Level II: Accounting, and Personnel Management.

Students enrolled in a 24-credit certificate program, taking at least 6 credits per semester, may be eligible for financial aid. The Financial Aid Office should be contacted for further details.

Certificate programs offered at the University that are Title IV eligible include:

Certificate programs offered at the University that are not Title IV eligible include:

Group 1: Degrees Offered during the Day

In general, courses that comprise the major for these degree programs are offered during the daytime.


Bachelor of Arts

Classical Studies 
French and Francophone Cultural Studies 
German Cultural Studies 
Hispanic Studies 
Individualized Major (CAS) 
International Language-Business 
Latin American Studies 
Theology/Religious Studies 
Women’s Studies 

Bachelor of Science

Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology 
Business Administration 
Community Health Education 
Computer Engineering 
Computer Information Systems 
Computer Science 
Counseling and Human Services 
Criminal Justice 
Economics (CAS) 
Economics (KSOM) 
Education, Early and Primary Teacher 
Education, Middle Level Teacher 
Education, Secondary 
Electrical Engineering 
Electronic Commerce 
Environmental Science 
Exercise Science 
Forensic Chemistry 
Health Administration 
Human Resources Studies 
Individualized Major  (CAS)
International Business 
International Studies 
Liberal Studies 
Media and Information Technology 
Medical Technology 
Occupational Therapy 
Operations Management 
Political Science 

† Students entering the Occupational Therapy program will earn a B.S. in Health Sciences after completing the first four years of a five-year program and a Master of Science degree in Occupational Therapy after completion of the fifth year.

Associate’s Degrees

Electrical Engineering 
Computer Engineering 

Group 2: Degrees Offered Day or Evening

Major, cognate and general education courses for these degrees are available either night or day.

Bachelor’s Degrees

Business Administration 
Counseling and Human Services 
Criminal Justice 
Health Administration 
Liberal Studies 
Nursing for the Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) 
Nursing for the Registered Nurse (RN) 

Associate’s Degrees

Associate in Arts
Associate in Science:

Computer Information Systems 
Criminal Justice 
Health Administration 
Counseling and Human Services 

Undergraduate Admission Requirements

Adult Students

Adult undergraduate admission at The University of Scranton is based on the applicant’s academic record, life experiences and motivation to continue education. Adult application forms may be obtained on the web at www.scranton.edu/apply, from the Office of Transfer Admissions, or may be requested by phone at (570) 941-4839, by fax at (570) 941-4448 or by email to transfer@scranton.edu. Additional information is available at www.scranton.edu/admissions.

The Office of Admissions operates on a rolling admissions plan, in which applications are processed on a continual basis as received. Candidates are informed of the admission decision within three weeks after the completion of their files and receipt of all supporting credentials.

To complete the application file, the candidate must submit the following:

  • Adult application
  • Personal statement
  • Official high school transcript
  • SAT/ACT scores (or GED diploma and scores)
  • Official transcript from all post-secondary institutions attended
  • One letter of recommendation

Applicants are encouraged to meet with an admissions counselor and can make an appointment by contacting the Office of Transfer Admissions at (570) 941-4839 or transfer@scranton.edu.

In general, advanced standing will be granted for previously completed courses from regionally accredited institutions when they are equivalent or comparable to courses at the University, the student received grades of C or higher, and the courses meet requirements for the degree program. If the student changes major at a later date, another review of transfer credits will be made at that time, and the student will be given a written evaluation clearly indicating the transfer credits that apply to the new major. In all cases, for a bachelor’s degree, students must earn a minimum of 63 credits at The University of Scranton.

Nursing for the LPN and RN

Applicants to the Nursing (BSN) for the Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) and Nursing (BSN) for the Registered Nurse (RN) tracks must also include a letter of recommendation from the head of the nursing school attended, a nursing school transcript and a copy of the current PA nursing license with the application for admission. LPN accepted applicants must complete all prerequisite courses prior to registering for nursing major courses.

Second Baccalaureate Degree

University of Scranton graduates and persons with good scholastic records and a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution may apply to earn a second baccalaureate degree at The University of Scranton.

Candidates for a second baccalaureate degree are expected to complete a minimum of 30 credits at The University of Scranton beyond the completion of the studies for the first degree, of which at least 15 credits must be in the second degree’s major. Students must complete all requirements for the second degree not covered by the first degree program for the major and cognate courses. All prerequisites for major and cognate courses must also be completed. Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended are required.

No semester hours from the first baccalaureate degree can be used toward this 30-credit requirement. Grades for courses taken by University of Scranton graduates after completion of the requirements for the first baccalaureate degree will have no effect on the final grade point average of the first degree.

International Students

To complete the application file, the candidate must have:

  • Completed online application
  • One letter of recommendation
  • Official transcripts (with certified English translation) showing all secondary and post-secondary courses and grades. Applicants who have completed post-secondary work in their home country are also required to have an independent course-by-course evaluation completed to maximize transferability of prior courses. For more information on independent evaluations, visit www.wes.org or www.ece.org. (Note: Applicants who wish to be considered for merit awards must also supply official SAT or ACT scores.)
  • Proof of English Language Proficiency with minimum TOEFL Scores (61 internet based) and/or other acceptable proof of proficiency
  • Certificate of Finances
  • Personal statement
  • List of extracurricular activities (optional)

International students should have their credentials in the Office of Admissions by the following dates:

  • June 1st for entry into the fall term
  • November 1st for entry into the spring term
  • March 1st for entry into the summer term

Certificate Programs

Students wishing to complete a certificate program in the College of Graduate and Continuing Education must meet the requirements specified by the appropriate department.


Students who do not plan to work toward a degree or a certificate must file an adult application for admission as a self-improvement student. Those who are applying for personal gain must submit an official transcript from all post-secondary institutions attended; if none, high school transcript including SAT/ACT scores. Students who are applying to fulfill graduate school prerequisites must submit a listing of prerequisite courses required for entry into the intended graduate program, along with official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended.

Visiting Students

An undergraduate student matriculated to another college or university who wishes to take courses at The University of Scranton and transfer the credit back to their home college may do so as a visiting student. A visiting student application is required, along with written approval from the dean or other authorized administrator of the home college, for all specified courses to be taken. The University of Scranton does not guarantee transferability of its courses. Reader courses are not available for visiting students. Visiting students taking more than one course in any semester are required to attend orientation.

High School Scholars

High school students must submit a completed application consisting of an official high school transcript, a course-specific recommendation from the high school guidance counselor and PSAT/SAT scores (if available). To obtain an application, please contact the Office of Admissions or visit www.scranton.edu/hsscholars.

Students enrolled in the High School Scholars Program for the fall or spring terms must update their High School Scholars applications with a new transcript, SAT scores (if available) and registration form in order to be able to register for High School Scholars classes in the summer term.


Telecourses provide students with an opportunity to study with a more flexible schedule. Students purchase DVDs along with the required textbook(s). Meetings with instructors are reduced from the typical three hours per week to no more than six meetings per semester. These courses are geared to highly motivated students capable of doing independent work. Courses offered vary each semester.

Online Courses

Online courses at the University require students to have access to a computer and the Internet for assignments, research, discussion groups, etc.

Office of Student Services and Advising

In the College of Graduate and Continuing Education, academic advising begins with admission interviews, registration and new-student orientations. Ongoing advising services that support students through their years of study to graduation provide all students, including transfer and evening students, with stability and continuity in their academic planning. Staff advisors are available 12 months a year and maintain day and evening office hours.

The staff in the College of Graduate and Continuing Education, Career Services, and the Counseling Center are also available for consultation regarding academic, career and personal issues. The assignment of faculty advisors/mentors is determined by the student’s choice of major.

Campus Life

Students should consult the University’s Student Handbook for information about such practical matters as I.D. cards, parking permits and opportunities for participation in various aspects of University life. Adult undergraduate student participation in campus governance is provided through Student Council and student representation on the University Council.

Academic Regulations

Adult undergraduate students should consult this catalog for academic regulations common to all undergraduate colleges of the University. They should be aware of the following policies that relate specifically to those enrolled in the College of Graduate and Continuing Education.


CGCE students may register as auditors with the approval of the dean. Entry of the audit grade on the transcript assumes satisfactory attendance at class meetings. The student should consult with the instructor as to what constitutes satisfactory attendance. Auditors are not responsible for assigned work, quizzes, or examinations, and they receive no credit for the course. Students not enrolled as auditors who wish to change their status to that of auditor must do so by deadlines specified in the academic calendar on the inside front cover of this catalog. Auditing students pay the regular tuition and fees.

Credit for Academically Relevant Learning

Many students have acquired “experiential learning” outside a formal college or university classroom in jobs, military service or non-accredited institutions.

The University provides opportunities for adult undergraduate students to earn credit for such experiences. A maximum of 30 credits will be awarded for extra-institutional learning, excluding military credit. This includes CLEP, Excelsior College Examination, ACE-approved credit, portfolio credit, and PONSI credit. (Advanced-placement credit is considered separately.)

Students wishing to have this learning assessed for possible credit must document relevant experiences and the knowledge gained from them for departmental review. Faculty evaluators from the appropriate department(s) will evaluate the portfolio and may recommend a credit award for students’ learning. For further information, contact a CGCE advisor at (570) 941-7580.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The College-Level Examination Program has been established to enable students of all ages to earn college credit by examination. Through the CLEP tests, applicants may gain credit in many academic subjects applicable to their degree programs. Individuals who wish to receive information about these examinations should either consult the CGCE Assistant Dean for Student Services and Advising or contact CLEP directly by writing to the Program Director, College-Level Examination Program, College Entrance Examination Board, Box 660, Princeton, NJ 08541 or sending e-mail to clep@info.collegeboard.org.

Dean’s List

To be eligible for the Dean’s List, full-time students must earn 12 or more credit hours that count toward the semester GPA (credit hours of AU, CS, CD, I, IP, NC, NG, S and W grades are not counted toward this requirement). Part-time students (students registered for fewer than 12 credits) must earn at least 6 credit hours that count toward the semester GPA to be eligible for the Dean’s List. Of the eligible students, those who earn a 3.50 or higher semester GPA and no grade of D+, D, F, CD, NC, I, NG or U are named to the Dean’s List for that semester. (Note: Honors Program IP grades do not prevent eligibility for Dean’s List.) Students placed on the Dean’s List will have this distinction indicated on their transcripts. A student’s GPA will be recalculated when the last temporary grade (I, NG) is replaced by a final grade. If this new GPA meets the above standard, the student will be placed on the Dean’s List.

Sequences of Study/Prerequisites

Students enrolled in degree programs in the College of Graduate and Continuing Education are strongly advised to follow the sequence of studies listed for their chosen major as closely as possible. In order that students may be assured of having the adequate background for the successful completion of certain courses, prerequisite courses are sometimes listed. The course descriptions in the earlier pages of this bulletin contain the necessary information on prerequisites.

In some cases practical experience may compensate for the lack of prerequisite courses, but such requests for exceptions require written approval, in advance, from the departmental advisor. Students should also check with their departments for specific scheduling information on course sequences in their major. Since not all required courses are offered each semester, careful planning should be done in advance to assure smooth progress through the degree program.


Once accepted into The University of Scranton, a student is expected to maintain continuous enrollment. The dean may approve requests for one, and, on occasion, two consecutive semester leaves of absence. Students who do not attend the University for a semester or more, without an approved leave of absence, will be required to complete a full application for readmission. This may also result in a student’s needing to fulfill new curricular requirements. To apply for readmission, contact the CGCE Office of Student Services and Advising at (570) 941-7580.

Readmission of Dismissed Students

An adult undergraduate student who has been dismissed from The University of Scranton and wishes to apply for readmission to the University may do so no sooner than one full semester after the semester in which the dismissal took place. Readmission is not automatic; the student will need to demonstrate that the conditions which led to dismissal will not present a continuing problem. If a student is dismissed a second time from the University, readmission is not permitted. Students who want to be readmitted after dismissal need to apply to the College of Graduate and Continuing Education directly.

University of Scranton/Marywood University Cross-Registration

Full-time undergraduate students who are in good standing and have completed 30 credits at The University of Scranton may take two Marywood University courses (equivalent to 6 credits) during the calendar year (January to December) on a space-available basis and with the approval of their advisor and dean. Part-time students who are in good academic standing and have completed 30 credits at The University of Scranton may take one Marywood course for every five Scranton courses, for a maximum of six Marywood courses, on a space-available basis and with the approval of their advisor and dean.

Adult Undergraduate Tuition and Fees 2012-13

Full-Time Tuition (12 or more credits) and All Intersession Courses, per credit

Part-Time Tuition (fewer than 12 credits), per credit $810
University Fee for Full-Time Students, per semester $150
University Fee for Part-Time Students, per semester $25
Schedule Change Fee, per change form $15
Recreational Complex Use Fee (optional for part-time students), per semester $70
Prior-Learning-Portfolio Review Fee, per credit $30
Credit by Exam, per credit $75
Prerequisite Challenge Exam, per exam $15
Nursing Clinical Practicum, per clinical course (RN-BS Studnets Only) $110
Graduation Fee $250

Alumni Discount

Individuals who have previously earned a baccalaureate degree from The University of Scranton and are taking undergraduate, credit-bearing courses are eligible for 50% tuition reduction.

Family Tuition Reduction

See Undergraduate Admission and Expenses .

Tuition Policy for Senior Citizens

Persons 60 years of age or older may audit undergraduate courses at the University at no tuition charge on a “space-available” basis. Fees and other costs of courses (e.g., textbooks) are assessed at the normal rate. The student must complete the senior-citizen-tuition waiver form and the registration process, including returning the remittance form.

Persons 60 years of age or older may take undergraduate courses for credit at 50 percent tuition. These reductions are applicable only after the person has applied for and received any form of financial assistance normally available (e.g., state and federal assistance, employer reimbursement). The student must complete the senior-citizen-tuition waiver form and the registration process, including returning the remittance form.

Senior-citizen students must complete the full application process, including submission of all official transcripts.

Financial Aid for Adult Undergraduate Students

CGCE students are eligible to apply for several forms of federal and state financial aid. Eligibility for all grants, loans and institutional aid requires the student to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The student must also submit signed copies of the tax information for the student and spouse/parent (if required). Priority deadline for incoming students is May 1. Returning students must file by April 15. For a more complete description of our aid programs and policies, please review our Comprehensive Guide to Financial Aid Programs found on our publications page at www.scranton.edu/financial-aid.

University Aid

Accounting Scholarship: The Northeast Chapter of the Pennsylvania Society of Public Accountants has endowed a scholarship fund awarding one limited tuition scholarship each year to an adult undergraduate Accounting major.

The Eugene J. Donahue Scholarship: This scholarship was established in 1997 in memory of John and Ann Donahue by Eugene Donahue, a resident of Clarks Summit and a 1968 graduate of The University of Scranton. The scholarship is for students who show demonstrated need. Recipients must be undergraduates in the College of Graduate and Continuing Education, and first consideration is given to students residing in Lackawanna County.

The Rev. John J. Fitzpatrick, S.J., Scholarship: This scholarship honors the Rev. John J. Fitzpatrick, S.J., who, prior to his death in 1987, served The University of Scranton for 22 years in various roles including dean of men, Jesuit minister, student counselor and University chaplain. The scholarship helps students of academic excellence who have demonstrated financial need. Preference is given to undergraduate students from Northeastern Pennsylvania who are enrolled in the College of Graduate and Continuing Education and who previously attended Lackawanna College. The scholarship was established through the generosity of Midori Yamanouchi-Rynn, Ph.D., Professor Emerita of Sociology/Criminal Justice.

The Rev. Dexter Hanley, S.J., Full-Time Grant and The Rev. Dexter Hanley, S.J., Part-Time Grant: Full-time and part-time grants are awarded to adult undergraduate students who demonstrate need, academic progress, and enrollment status of at least 6 credits. Awards range from $500 to $10,000 per year.

The Robert L. McDevitt, K.S.G., Scholarship: This scholarship, established in 1977, provides assistance to qualified and deserving College of Graduate and Continuing Education undergraduate students. The scholarship was established by Robert L. McDevitt, K.S.G., a Georgetown University classmate and longtime friend of the late Rev. Dexter L. Hanley, S.J., who served as president of the University from 1970 to 1975.

Newcombe Scholarship for Mature Women: The Charlotte W. Newcombe Foundation provides limited-tuition scholarships for mature women students completing their education in preparation for a second career. These scholarships are available to women who are 25 years of age or older, have completed at least 60 credits, and have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.

New Transfer-Student Scholarship: Transfer students who have completed at least 30 credits at their previous institution and intend to pursue full-time studies at The University of Scranton are eligible to be considered for this award. This is an academic as well as need-based scholarship. The award may be renewed until graduation upon maintenance of required grade-point average.

The Oppenheim Family Scholarship: This scholarship was established by the Oppenheim family, who for many years owned and operated Oppenheim’s Department Store and its predecessor, the Scranton Dry Goods Co. Income from the scholarship is used primarily for part-time, non-traditional students who need financial assistance.

The Thomas P. White Scholarship: Mrs. Ilene White established this scholarship to honor the memory of her husband, Thomas. It is awarded to an education major who is a “non-traditional” student, such as a transfer student or an individual returning to school after an absence.

Loan & Grant Programs

See Scholarships and Financial Aid